Sign in to follow this  
Sid

Would you get the Venator..

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

I went to Target today to pick up 2 battle packs and noticed they had the Venator, which I hadn't seen in stock for months. I admit I was tempted to pick it up, mainly for the minfigs it comes with (Palpatine $10, each commando is $15, clone pilot $9 on Bricklink, plus an extra clone gunner). I could easily spend $50 for these on Bricklink (not that I would)

So the set is $120, I'd be paying more or less $80 for the set itself, ~1000ish pieces. I wouldn't assemble this set because it doesn't really go with the rest of my collection, not to mention the scale is way off.

So what would you guys do? Buy the figs on Bricklink, or buy the set? Or don't buy either and move on?

The only fig I'm really interested in is Palpatine, and maybe the commandos.

Edited by KimT

I wouldn't but then again, I've always maintained that I hate the CW figs. A lot of people don't like the Venator, but I actually don't think it looks to bad. It may not be the best replica Lego has ever made, but I'd display it next to my system Star Destroyer. It does have quite a few good pieces that you could use for other things if you wanted. I say if you're going to buy all the figs anyway, you may as well just buy the set new. That way you know you're getting factory fresh figures and then you have a ton of pieces you can use for other things if you don't want to build the Venator.

I think you answered your own question, you definitely should not. If you just want the fig's it simply isn't worth it.

I'm going to get the endor set primarily for the figs but I also want the set, so for me it makes sense.

Magnet set coming out! Don't waste your money!

I had to heavily modify this set, and even at the end there's a huge design weakness flaw and it looks a big bulbous!

The set is good for playing, but really bad compared to it's predecessor! Once I even dropped the ISD, and it didn't scratch! I slipped on my rug holding the venator and spent a whole fifteen minutes fixing it up!

The only fig I'm really interested in is Palpatine, and maybe the commandos.

The senate commandos are also available in Cad Bane's speeder coming out this summer.

And Senator Palpatine will be available in one of the magnet sets.

Don't buy the set.

Buy Cad Bane's Speeder and a magnet pack.

Same figs - better price.

Unless you're a collector like some of us.

Thanks to all who replied.

The senate commandos are also available in Cad Bane's speeder coming out this summer.

And Senator Palpatine will be available in one of the magnet sets.

Don't buy the set.

Thanks for this info, I'm glad I didn't get it then. Had this been a UCS scale model, then it would be a different story. I don't care for the playability in the Venator. I do collect, but I pick and choose :classic:

I do collect, but I pick and choose :classic:

Wise and cheaper.... much cheaper :grin:

With the expensive sets I personally wait for a few months after they have come out. By that time quite a lot of people who can't wait have bought the sets and start selling the minifigs. The more people start selling the minifigs the cheaper they get. Plus you have a good chance that the whole sets themselves (including minifigs would sell on ebay for cheap. I picked a Venator up from ebay recently for £80 (brand new in box, minifigs included). Patience is the key. :wink:

Don't buy the set.

What he said.

Keep in mind, though, that they are not exactly the same figs. One of the Senate Commandos in Bane's Speeder is a Captain, and the magnet set figs have the lower quality plastic. :wink:

What Big Cam and KimT said. If you're willing to spend that much money, might as well buy the Endor set and buy a magnet pack too.

Right, well I had read about the magnet sets not being up to par. I am receiving the Yoda pack this week, I'll see how that goes.

I don't know how the Endor set connects with the Clone Wars though. :tongue:

Personally I like the Venator...to a point. It is the only official Venator available, so if you can't make your own, then it is okay. It is a bit chunky for what is supposed to be, so if that bugs you, then I wouldn't recommend it.

On the matter of Magnet figures, they are pretty noticeably different. The head gear for them are official colored, at least very close. Limbs and torso are off colored, so they aren't really the best replacement for Lego quality figures. If you don't mind that, then they are a cheap alternative.

I you are desperate to get the minifigs at a low cost then the magnet and Cad Bane's Speeder is the better option

One of the Senate Commandos in Bane's Speeder is a Captain,

And one is normal so then you get the best of both worlds which is better if you like diverse minifigs rather than quantity.

The senate commandos are also available in Cad Bane's speeder coming out this summer.And Senator Palpatine will be available in one of the magnet sets.

Don't buy the set.

I was unaware of this, this is good news.

Personally I like the Venator...to a point. It is the only official Venator available, so if you can't make your own, then it is okay. It is a bit chunky for what is supposed to be, so if that bugs you, then I wouldn't recommend it.

It's a beautiful ship, my second favourite (after malevolence of course). Bought another 2 off ebay today for a total of £120 (full sets and all). :thumbup:

Personally, I'd never buy a set just for the minifigures. Then again, I'm a collector, so I try to get one of every set anyway.

As for the Venator, I think it is one of the weakest sets from last August's wave. The minifigs are probably the best part of the set. The good news is that if you do buy it just for the minifigs, the rest of the set should make a nice parts pack. Lots of pieces to use in your MOCs, assuming you like to make some (and really, who here doesn't).

i got the venator off craigslist, new and way to good of a deal. the ship is one of the worse designs. it falls apart when you build it. and just moving it the bottom falls off all the time. horrible ship. i wouldnt buy it new if it were me. and the figures are not that cool.

on the magnet topic. do the figures just come off? or is there some type of operation? and lower quality plastic... i can see that.. sucks.

on the magnet topic. do the figures just come off? or is there some type of operation? and lower quality plastic... i can see that.. sucks.

I have definitely made up my mind on not buying the set unless it goes on sale later on, and even then it'll only be for the parts AND if I haven't acquired the figures either through magnet set or the upcoming speeder later this year.

On the magnet subject: The figs come right off, they're just held by studs in the legs. Today I received the Yoda / Dooku / Mace pack and I did notice a difference. However, it is NOT all that noticeable and not at all bad. The torso seems to be fine, the "issue" is in the legs and arms, where the plastic is not quite as "shiny" as regular figs are. I solved this by replacing the legs/hips & arms with extra regular ones I had of the same color and now there's no way of telling the difference, at least IMO. I am so glad I didn't buy the solar sailer for Dooku. And while I have the old Yoda, I kinda like this new CW one. It has hair and all.

Edited by Sid

I have definitely made up my mind on not buying the set unless it goes on sale later on, and even then it'll only be for the parts AND if I haven't acquired the figures either through magnet set or the upcoming speeder later this year.

On the magnet subject: The figs come right off, they're just held by studs in the legs. Today I received the Yoda / Dooku / Mace pack and I did notice a difference. However, it is NOT all that noticeable and not at all bad. The torso seems to be fine, the "issue" is in the legs and arms, where the plastic is not quite as "shiny" as regular figs are. I solved this by replacing the legs/hips & arms with extra regular ones I had of the same color and now there's no way of telling the difference, at least IMO. I am so glad I didn't buy the solar sailer for Dooku. And while I have the old Yoda, I kinda like this new CW one. It has hair and all.

I have the same magnet set, it's also been brought up before that the quality of the magnet figs are a little less than the standard fig, but for me, it's the cheapest way to get some rare fig's, especially if you only want them for MOC'ing, and not collecting.

I'm very happy with them, actually. After I replaced certain elements. I can't collect for the sake of collecting - I have to like the set in order to buy it, and the Venator and Solar Sailer just don't serve me any purpose, other than taking up space and collecting dust.

i got the venator off craigslist, new and way to good of a deal. the ship is one of the worse designs. it falls apart when you build it. and just moving it the bottom falls off all the time. horrible ship. i wouldnt buy it new if it were me. and the figures are not that cool.

I don't know what you are doing to your set, but mine has been rock solid. It was one of first batch of sets I bought after getting back into Legos and I thought the handle was cool. I have shaken mine pretty hard by the handle to see how sturdy it was. Aside from Emperoro Pimpatine falling out its put together well.

Personally I like it and it would be easy to mod into a longer and wider ship without the interior bits.

I have the same magnet set, it's also been brought up before that the quality of the magnet figs are a little less than the standard fig, but for me, it's the cheapest way to get some rare fig's, especially if you only want them for MOC'ing, and not collecting.

TLG has promised that the somewhat inferior quality coming from their Chinese factory should be over now.

They've upped the quality control there and soon (if not already) the quality should be equal to regular LEGO elements.

I'm sure we'll see more Chinese parts for a while since the factory has produced quite a lot before being corrected and taking all those parts out of the system is too difficult (and expensive).

So relax people - it'll end (eventually :laugh:)

i only collect sets from Ep IV - VI so venator is out for me. as it stands, i am still some way away from collecting all the sets from the above Episodes. :cry_sad:

No, definately not. Palpatine is coming out as a magnet anyway, and the Senate Commandos will be included in Cad Banes Speeder.

FilmGirl27

The set is good for playing, but really bad compared to it's predecessor! Once I even dropped the ISD, and it didn't scratch! I slipped on my rug holding the venator and spent a whole fifteen minutes fixing it up!

You sound very accident prone with your lego, I got the set and It isn't much different from the ISD its okay, The features are cool but the figs are okay.