KimT

Yavin IV Final Scene Diorama

gallery_101_23_281.gif

As some might have noticed I've been somewhat absent for the past weeks.

One reason was very personal, another was going to Rome for a week with my wife and the last was that I was accepted as one of the 40 AFOLs to show the public what we can do with bricks.

Now I've only built a few smallish MOCs previously and one very bad train station :blush:

So this was somewhat difficult for me to do.

There's so many things I'd like to have designed in a different way or done in a completely other way, but time ran out and the project/diorama had to be finished in time and it was.

During LEGO World I got a lot of comments on it and all of them were positive.

So perhaps I just set my personal standard too high or perhaps people were just being nice - I'll leave some of the judging in your hands :classic:

I decided back in September - October 2009 to do the final scene of Star Wars Ep. IV "A New Hope"

The scene where Luke and Han (not Chewie) are handed medals for destroying the Death Star (I).

Morten chose to do the Emperor's Arrival at Death Star II from Episode VI, but I'll let him post the pics for that one himself.

I got Morten's rebel figs and he got my imperial figs and we started off.

First off let me explain my 'style';

I like SNOT and I even like the classic studs-up look, but most of all I am a 100% tiled builder.

I really like the smooth and clean look added when everything's been 'tiled' and that's why my MOC looks like it does.

The pillars and plateaus are meant to look like they do.

I did try to add more greeble and shrubs, but it ruined the 'tiled'-look in my opinion, again you are more than entitled to disagree with me and ideas on how to expand my techniques are more than welcome.

We then started off in Morten's basement - let me stress here that if you're married with children and does NOT have a basement or spare room, then DO NOT start a project like this. - I've heard of marriages going down the drain during large builds and that's not the point, is it? :laugh:

Here's a few pics of the beginning:

yavin001.jpg

yavin004.jpg

yavin006.jpg

For some reason these pics are crap - they'll get better as we move into the build.

Anyways, since I hate baseplates the entire baseplate level has been added a brick plus a plate vertically.

It gives a better and more stable base, plus one can either 'dig in' or 'shovel on' without suddenly going through the table underneath.

yavin012.jpg

yavin014.jpg

As the build moved on the end plateaus finally came into shape and so did the entrance and 4 major pillars.

I am not fond of the entrance and I'll most likely change it.

It's too 'wall-ish' and I really want it to look more like the 4 major pillars where Leia is.

yavin023.jpg

yavin021.jpg

The four major pillars are 30 studs high, but only 25 bricks and that took some calculation to get right.

They're covered with tiles and piraka pony tails attached to 1x1 clips - which I quickly ran out of :hmpf:

The pillars' plates are attached to each other with brackets - make sure they all face the same way when using them to connect.

yavin086.jpg

yavin087.jpg

yavin088.jpg

yavin089.jpg

And this is how the major pillars are build, attached and detached from the model.

yavin019.jpg

yavin020.jpg

yavin021.jpg

The whole thing was then tiled in tan and dark tan tiles - another expensive BL / S@H order...

The missing tiles are missing to allow last instance changes to be made.

It's hell taking off 50+ tiles to get to one spot to move a fig one plate.

So finally the day arose to set up and start the flashing at LEGO World 2010 in Bella Center Copenhagen.

181 Minifigs

8 Kgs of bricks

25 hours or so of work

Too much money spend on BL and S@H

I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

Enjoy and do ask or comment as you please! :classic:

yavin038.jpg

yavin039.jpg

yavin041.jpg

yavin043.jpg

yavin052.jpg

yavin053.jpg

yavin054.jpg

yavin055.jpg

yavin056.jpg

yavin057.jpg

yavin058.jpg

yavin059.jpg

yavin060.jpg

yavin061.jpg

yavin062.jpg

yavin063.jpg

yavin074.jpg

yavin075.jpg

yavin077.jpg

yavin081.jpg

yavin090.jpg

yavin105.jpg

yavin106.jpg

yavin107.jpg

yavin108.jpg

yavin110.jpg

yavin111.jpg

The happy builder and his MOC:

yavin109.jpg

More pics here (when public)

Pics of LEGOWorld here

Hi

Great! This moc is stunning :wub:

Liked that you used PadmeĀ“s hair.

Minxter

Thanks.

It was the most appropriate hair to use and not that 'far-fetched' since Padme is her mother :laugh:

I love it, the pillars are the best part. One thing, the Mon Calamarians didn't join the rebelion until after the battle of Hoth :sceptic: . Other than that this is awesome!

Mace Windu :grin:

I love it, the pillars are the best part. One thing, the Mon Calamarians didn't join the rebelion until after the battle of Hoth :sceptic: . Other than that this is awesome!

Mace Windu :grin:

I know and there's a few more figs that doesn't belong.

I needed more diversity in the figs and allowed myself a little 'artistic freedom'

The Captain Antilles Techs and Rebel Cruiser Pilots are 'extras' as well.

That's a really lovely assortment of figures there. It's hard to see Yavin from every view, but shots like this really capture the mood of the scene.

yavin057.jpg

Nice! :thumbup:

Wow. Those pillars are a work of art, and the sheer amount of figs you've got there is amazing. I :laugh: at Darth KimT standing outside the room :tongue::thumbup:

Wow. Those pillars are a work of art, and the sheer amount of figs you've got there is amazing. I :laugh: at Darth KimT standing outside the room :tongue::thumbup:

The pillars each 'eat' some 180 2x2 tiles and 100 1x1 bricks plus the shrubs, clips, 2x2 plates, 20 brackets and 12 10x6 plates.

Yeah, they wouldn't let Santa in - something about being bad when wielding a red light sabre or something :devil:

Wow. Impressive MOC Kim! :thumbup: The floor looks very grand and smooth, and the way you positioned the troops looks really nice. The columns look super. The technique you used to get the rocky feel works very well! :thumbup:

I hope to see more SW from you soon.

Edited by Jammiedodger714

Absolutely amazing! :oh:

Assuming the Imperial Inspection Scene shown here

yavin109.jpg

is also yours, (EDIT: I looked again and you told us it was Mortens) I don't want to know how much you (EDIT: both :grin:) spend on the minifigs.

Wrong, I do want to know! :devil:

Tell me in Billund. :wink:

Hello!

Very impressive setup! :classic: The minifigures alone are already worth a small fortune, and the entire scene is incredible. I like the Rebel guards who flank the door best. It was nice to see there's a different coloured uniform for Rebels in the movie, and it's great to see them as minifigures now. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

I think you have captured the scene very nicely! :thumbup:

I would also like to see pictures of the thing to the right of it.

The figures must have cost a small fortune alone. :cry_happy:

I hope you got some good feedback from the crowds man!

Welcome back, and stunning MOC! :cry_happy: The pillars have great detail, but the overall shine of the floor is what gets me!

Thank God for the Visual Dictionary fig! :tongue:

Wow, that's absolutely amazing! :oh:

It's clear that you've spent alot of time (and money) on this, great job!! :thumbup:

I think I just spotted you in the last pic, on the back of the dio (I mean your sigfig, but both you and your sigfig are there),

weren't you invited? :tongue:

Looks like somebody made a few people on BL alot richer.. :grin:

~ General Magma

Edited by General Magma

Haha luke has already got his medal on! :tongue: , Your diorama is fantastic and I would love to have the money to do something like that. Its really spot on and the deatil is incredible.

Really great work KimT! :cry_happy:

I think you should frontpage this for yourself :grin:

Edited by Roncanator

I think you should frontpage this for yourself :grin:

Agreed! :cry_happy:

Kim, you are tooo modest! :oh:

That is one amazing diorama. :wub:

I also am a fan of tiles, and SNOT (as you might know) and when I saw this, I fell in love with it. :wub:

The pillars are amazing, and the quantity of figs there is well, tons!

Now I understand where all the rebels went on BL. :oh:

Great job, and I hope the public liked it!

CommanderFox

Wow, that is just... well, WOW! :tongue:

KimT, my goodness, this is stellar! :cry_happy:

I'm out of words now, sorry!

Spectacular!!! :thumbup:

~A.S.

Looks good! I like all of the tile effects, especially on the pillars. The subtle shrubbery is good as well.

Most of all, though, I like how you and Morten are close friends so that you can just trade off minifigures. Did you meet each other via Eurobricks?

Creative use of parts for the two Rebel guards (Plo Koon torsos).

KimT, I am in awe. Not just at the magnitude of the project, but the careful forethought and design that went into the structure - it looks the work of a professional. I too like the tiled look.

And it only took 25 hours?? I've spent longer building official sets!

Absolutely beautiful. Somehow, emoticons just don't express it.

Wow. :oh3: KimT, I never would have guessed you made such excellent MOCs. (Or at least this one)

Absolutely stunning, and for only 25 hours, you must have been seriously focused. :thumbup:

By the way, who is Morten? My best guess would be Ras, but guessing means I have no idea. :grin:

Fantastic! Apart from the scale and figs I find the pillar construction very interesting. I also like your little cameo - didn't know you were a Sith!

:thumbup:

Just one word 'KimT'..........AWESOME !

Fantastic MOC, what a reproduction of that final scene in a New Hope ! :yoda:

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :grin:

Looks good! I like all of the tile effects, especially on the pillars. The subtle shrubbery is good as well.

Most of all, though, I like how you and Morten are close friends so that you can just trade off minifigures. Did you meet each other via Eurobricks?

Creative use of parts for the two Rebel guards (Plo Koon torsos).

I've known Morten for some 16 years or so... And no we didn't trade figs - he borrowed mine and I borrowed some of his :laugh:

Thanks.

I was waiting for someone to spot the Plo Koon torsos - that fig took some time to design as there's no official figure to fit the guards on each side of the door.

And yeah, I am also most fond of the pillars.

Wow. :oh3: KimT, I never would have guessed you made such excellent MOCs. (Or at least this one)

Absolutely stunning, and for only 25 hours, you must have been seriously focused. :thumbup:

By the way, who is Morten? My best guess would be Ras, but guessing means I have no idea. :grin:

25 Hours is a rough calculation.

I think I spend a lot more just thinking and cruising Brickshelf for inspiration and BL for parts.

And no Morten isn't Ras as Ras is Rickard and Morten is Morten...

Simple, hoah? :grin: