Watchman

Emerald Night rebuild ideas

4 posts in this topic

traintech1.jpg

Hi.

This is my first post, so please forgive any stupidity on my part (and lack of avatar etc).

Although I really love the Emerald Night (still in it's box mind you), I was wondering about rebuilding it as a 4-4-0 or 4-6-0 model loco (just for a bit of variety).

Does anyone know any examples of this ? or pitfalls that may be encoutered attempting it (i.e. rarity of dark green bricks limiting options) ?

Thanks

No, there's been no examples (excpet for a Monorail example, but i don't think that's what you mean..)

Personally (but without any experience of owning the set):

It should be pretty easy to rebuild the Emerald Night into a 'Atlantic' 4-4-2, as all that would be required would be a shortening of the boiler and removing the blind driver - it would probably look like a larger version of this:

MAISIE-1.jpg.

Conversion to a 4-6-0 would mean that you would have a large overhang at the rear end, unless you SERIOUSLY shorten the boiler/firebox. The closest thing to this would be a GWR 4-6-0 (castle below). Please note that the firebox on the EN is quite wide for Lego Train standards, and that a 4-6-0 would mean a reduction in width for the firebox.

1.jpg

An easier conversion might be to a 2-6-2 formation, such as the LNER V2, which would require an overall shortening of the boiler/smokebox and reduction is front bogie to leadign wheelset:

31-563.jpg

Hi.

This is my first post, so please forgive any stupidity on my part (and lack of avatar etc).

Although I really love the Emerald Night (still in it's box mind you), I was wondering about rebuilding it as a 4-4-0 or 4-6-0 model loco (just for a bit of variety).

Does anyone know any examples of this ? or pitfalls that may be encoutered attempting it (i.e. rarity of dark green bricks limiting options) ?

Thanks

I, too have tried to make different arrangements on my Emerald Night. I've done a 2-6-2, 4-6-0, and 4-4-2.

My favorite one was the 4-6-0, also the 2-6-2 (Looked like GREEN ARROW). :classic::thumbup:

Thanks Matt - yeah, I'd kind of been thinking along these lines ... guess it's time to crack open the box and get experimenting ?!

post-9712-1267219423.jpg

efullner - any chance we could see some pictures of your experiments ?! They sound good.