For Lego's Technic competition, you know the drill.

More pictures at Flickr

I was inspired by Leonardo da Vinci's work with human-powered flight. Sadly, no human has enough strength to fly this way, but it's great to imagine. All of Da Vincis designs were purely mechanical, trying to replicate nature's designs through gears, levers and pulleys. What I tried to do here is to copy the movement of a bird's wings using nothing but simple mechanics. I think he would have approved.

Awesome, also nice color combination, reminds me of the sopwith camel and the wright maiden flight sets.

Geweldig! Great and very original idea Mahjqa and a really neat way of presentation. The movement of the wings looks very natural.

Very, very good idea! The human is very articulated, and I love the moving legs and the fact that the arms can steer. Perhaps it's not an original design ( :tongue: ) but this is a great representation of the idea! You did a really good job on the wings, I love the whole thing!

Good luck!

Wow, that's impressive. The flow of movement is well very smooth. I'm not much of a technic guy but I am impressed!

Perhaps it's not an original design ( :tongue: ) but this is a great representation of the idea!

Don't worry, it's all original. As far as I can tell, he never used this wing design. If you want to know more about his work, this page can be very inspirational.

Heh. If the laws of physics had been a bit more stacked in our favour, we'd be flying these things to work since 1523.

Holt sh!+. That thing is beautiful. The motion of the wings and the pumping legs of the pilot look completely natural. The pull/pull cable system on the tail is wonderful as well. Combine that with the charming way you've chosen to present it in your "rustic" image and this is a real pleasure to see. I'm always drawn to a Technic subject I haven't seen before and this is certainly one. I must have one.

Oh wow, this is wonderfully awesome. The flowing wing motion, legs, colours and presentation are all fantastic. I'm in awe of this, best of luck :classic:

This is a really original concept, and the wing movements look very smooth and natural. :thumbup:

Mahjqa, are you fan of Shadow of the Colossus ? :classic:

BTW, awesome MOC ! :wub:

Anio: I am. Very much so.

0scene.jpg

And I'd like to thank everyone for their kind comments. It makes the engineering headaches worthwhile. :classic:

Edited by mahjqa

You should have reproduce Phalanx for the contest !! lolroule.gif

Edited by Anio

Very nice design, also fun that you choosed Da Vincis work.

Like many said, nice movements and colour scheme.

Good luck in the competition :thumbup: