01.jpg

I proudly present my third model built in 1:17 scale. It weights over 4kg's and it's my biggest MOC so far.

It's a rotator tow truck, with front based on Kenworth W900 truck:

13.jpg

General view:

dsc08008.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08013.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08015.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08026.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08029.jpg_thumb.jpg

dsc08039.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08045.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08050.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08088.jpg_thumb.jpg

Driver's cab:

dsc08059.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08062.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08077.jpg_thumb.jpg

Almost-like CAT engine:

dsc08065.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08069.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08074.jpg_thumb.jpg

dsc08084.jpg_thumb.jpg

This model is fully functionall, it's powered by one Rechargeable Battery hidden inside the sleeper. Steering is achieved by one PF M motor, whole truck is driven by two PF XL motors.

dsc08086.jpg_thumb.jpg

Here we can see the main switch, when it's turned on towing functions can be used, and the crane light bar is flashing.

dsc08056.jpg_thumb.jpg

The whole pneumatic instalation consist:

- compressor with two small pumps, powered by one RC motor, turned on/off by pressure switch (it looks almost like this switch

- 4 red pneumatic cylinders used for raising the crane boom.

- 2 pneumatic cylinders used for raising the wheel lift arm

- 1 pneumatic cylinder used for tilting the wheel lift

- 1 pneumatic cylinder used for raising the second axle

- 4 pneumatic cylinders used to stabilize the truck (two in front outriggers, 2 on the rear)

- 1 Manometer, which shows air pressure in the whole installation

- 1 air tank

Almost all function switches are hidden above the rear axles:

dsc08091.jpg_thumb.jpg

From left:

crane rotating/ winches / boom raising / wheel lift raising / wheel lift tilting

dsc08094.jpg_thumb.jpg

stabilizers / second axle raising / boom extending

Raising the crane:

dsc08097.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08104.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08110.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08113.jpg_thumb.jpg

PF M medium motor is used for extending the boom.

Stabilizers:

dsc08116.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08121.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08131.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08116.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08132.jpg_thumb.jpg

Outriggers are extended by one PF M motor.

dsc08147.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08153.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08157.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08162.jpg_thumb.jpg

Crane is rotated by one PF M motor.

Second axle can be raised and lowered:

dsc08167.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08170.jpg_thumb.jpg

The wheel lift:

dsc08044.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08184.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08190.jpg_thumb.jpg dsc08192.jpg_thumb.jpg

The following movie shows all functions of the model:

Flickr

MOCPages

Brickshelf

Edited by Replenishment At Siegfried
Embedded movie

Awesome!

I think this is one of your top 3 models, together with Liebherr Loader and LTM.

Its gigantic, nicely colored, and greatly designed!

Functions are very well hidden, I like how you can open little hatches to operate the switches.

I like the outriggers design!

Very nice and realistic model!

Kenworth is awesome! Size of MOC is outstanding.

Truck have lovely color-red is cool and way how cabin and nose extends from 8 studs to 18 are very fine.

Hiding all PF and pneumatic under the body looks cool. Steering crane from switches looks more impressive than from remote controler.

Light bar on the crane are good usage of old lights-I must buy them :)

Looking forward for your next amazing MOC

kondzios230

Oh my God... brilliant! I can't fight the jealousy welling up inside me! What a great job! Everything about it is so perfect... there's nothing wrong with it! Detail outside, inside, and it's functional!

This just made my day!

This is a thing of great beauty. I gladly offer you either the left lobe of my liver or one of my kidneys if I can reproduce this masterpiece. There are so many details that make it just perfect.

• It's so smooth! I don't think there is a stud visible anywhere, and that must have taken some serious effort. There aren't even any studs inside the cabin.
  • The wheelbase between the first and second axles is huge! How much flex is there in the frame? Do you feel that it is stiff enough for all that weight?
  • I see you used a bunch of chrome parts including some 2x2 cylinders. Did you get those custom made at that ChromeBricks store?
  • How did you make the lights flash?
  • I like the custom stickers.
  • I have not seen anyone use the old pneumatic cylinders in a long time, certainly not with Power Functions. Did you choose these just because they are red or did you also need the longer stroke versions?
  • The old red cylinders are single acting. Does this mean you needed to use the old distribution block as well, or do you just let the pressure escape for lowering the boom?
  • Are all the cylinders red, or did you use traditional yellow for the hidden functions?
  • Do you have any counterweights on the turntable? If not, how well does it handle the imbalance?
  • I like the driver's seat built with cheese slopes.
  • What part did you use for the fan on the engine?
  • Good use of the manometer to keep track of the pressure, and it is well hidden behind the side panels.
  • Where is the air tank?
  • The way the electrical and pneumatic switches are hidden is ingenious.
  • I count 12 large pneumatic cylinders (4 red, 8 yellow?), one small (for the pressure switch) and two small cylinders for the pump. 6 pneumatic switches. You've hidden the pneumatic tubing very well. How much of it did you have to use?
  • I count 2 XL motors (drive) and 5 M motors (steer, telescope, winch, outriggers, rotate). Also one R/C motor for the compressor. Where did you hide all of these things?
  • I see 3 pole reverser switches, +1 for the pressure switch.
  • 2 IR Receivers.
  • 12 or 14 wheels. Does the lifting axle use tandem wheels? I assume these are not the super rare size from 5571.
  • The black gear racks for the telescoping mechanism are pretty difficult to find.
  • I like how the pneumatic tubing for the outriggers is hidden inside the boom.
  • It appears that entire length of the chassis behind the sleeper is covered with 1x1 red cheese slopes. How many cheese slopes are on this thing?
  • Do you accept credit cards?

It would be difficult to find any MOC out there which is better, especially for those of us who love Technic and Model Team. Very well done indeed.

One last thing: do you have any photos of the MOC "naked" (without skin)? I'd be very interested in seeing the positions of the motors and the way the mechanisms are set up.

Edited by Blakbird

As Blakbird said, this is arguably the most perfect and complete MOC we have seen here in a while. :thumbup: My favorite aspect of it is how you have hidden everything so well, especially the switches and the manometer under the panels.

I would also be interested to know how the old-generation pneumatics are used here and how well the front wheels hold up the weight, which I have often found to be an issue with those 62.4x20 tires in particular.

This is a thing of great beauty. I gladly offer you either the left lobe of my liver or one of my kidneys if I can reproduce this masterpiece. There are so many details that make it just perfect.

• It's so smooth! I don't think there is a stud visible anywhere, and that must have taken some serious effort. There aren't even any studs inside the cabin.
  • The wheelbase between the first and second axles is huge! How much flex is there in the frame? Do you feel that it is stiff enough for all that weight?
  • I see you used a bunch of chrome parts including some 2x2 cylinders. Did you get those custom made at that ChromeBricks store?
  • How did you make the lights flash?
  • I like the custom stickers.
  • I have not seen anyone use the old pneumatic cylinders in a long time, certainly not with Power Functions. Did you choose these just because they are red or did you also need the longer stroke versions?
  • The old red cylinders are single acting. Does this mean you needed to use the old distribution block as well, or do you just let the pressure escape for lowering the boom?
  • Are all the cylinders red, or did you use traditional yellow for the hidden functions?
  • Do you have any counterweights on the turntable? If not, how well does it handle the imbalance?
  • I like the driver's seat built with cheese slopes.
  • What part did you use for the fan on the engine?
  • Good use of the manometer to keep track of the pressure, and it is well hidden behind the side panels.
  • Where is the air tank?
  • The way the electrical and pneumatic switches are hidden is ingenious.
  • I count 12 large pneumatic cylinders (4 red, 8 yellow?), one small (for the pressure switch) and two small cylinders for the pump. 6 pneumatic switches. You've hidden the pneumatic tubing very well. How much of it did you have to use?
  • I count 2 XL motors (drive) and 5 M motors (steer, telescope, winch, outriggers, rotate). Also one R/C motor for the compressor. Where did you hide all of these things?
  • I see 3 pole reverser switches, +1 for the pressure switch.
  • 2 IR Receivers.
  • 12 or 14 wheels. Does the lifting axle use tandem wheels? I assume these are not the super rare size from 5571.
  • The black gear racks for the telescoping mechanism are pretty difficult to find.
  • I like how the pneumatic tubing for the outriggers is hidden inside the boom.
  • It appears that entire length of the chassis behind the sleeper is covered with 1x1 red cheese slopes. How many cheese slopes are on this thing?
  • Do you accept credit cards?

It would be difficult to find any MOC out there which is better, especially for those of us who love Technic and Model Team. Very well done indeed.

I was sure that you will ask "few" questions about it :)

• Look at the mirrors, air filters and fuel tanks ;)
  • Yes, it's quite strong. Of course the frame is bent a bit, but it will not break down ;)
  • No, I bought them from my friend. He also has a shop on Bricklink :)
  • Everyone like them ;) It's very simple: I used two Light Brick 1 x 4 with Twin Top Lights
  • These stickers were cut from 8265 and 7774 sticker sheets
  • These red cylinders aren't longer than other cylinders used in this truck. I used them because they are... red ;)
  • Hidden functions (second axle raising and wheel lift) are using new, round ended Trans Light Blue cylinders. Front and rear stabilizers are using square ended yellow cylinders
  • Yes, the air escapes through the pneumatic switch when the boom is going down. You can see (and hear :D) it on the movie, when the auto compressor is turned on.
  • There is no counterweight, and I have no idea why it works without it :D
  • I also like them ;)
  • It's this part: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp...rID=22&in=A
  • The manometer is tilted by 90 degrees to fit behind those panels, but it doesn't matter.
  • Air tank is mounted on the RC motor inside the sleeper. I will take the sleeper apart to make some reinforcements, so I can take some pictures of internal mechanics during the rebuilding.
  • Well, it was one of the main goals to make the whole truck look realistic as far as possible, and in my opinion switches placed above the rear axles looks much better than four IR receivers.
  • I didn't count, but I can tell you one thing about whole tubing hidden between rear axles: It's a mess :D I didn't cut pneumatic tubbing to appropriate lenghts, so it looks more like a spaghetti than nice and clean pneumatic installation.
  • Where? Here and there ;)
  • You've forgot about the main switch. It's also a pole reverser :)
  • Correct. I could use more of them but as I said, switches looks better.
  • 14 wheels. Lifted axle also has tandem wheels. These are normal, 62.4 wheels.
  • Maybe they are hard to find because I've bought most of them? ;)
  • The outriggers are quite complicated, because there are four pneumatic tubes, which are bent when the outriggers are going outside and inside the truck body. The whole mechanism works surprisingly well.
  • I used: 176 Red, 14 Light Bluish Gray, 20 black, 2 Dark Bluish Gray and 2 Chrome Silver cheese slopes.
  • Sorry, it's not for sale :P But this Kenworth will be not taken apart. It will be showed on LugPol's exhibition in June together with my Liebherr L 580 Loader and not-yet-built model in 1:17 scale (probably a Liebherr bulldozer) :)

Thank you very much for the very possitive feedback :)

WOW!!!! i cant stop looking at that truck. i would love to see how it all works inside. that is one of the best trucks i have ever seen.

This MOC is even better today!

Just noticed the license plate, hah! :D

One beef though, how many tow trucks have a crane like that? I made a Google image search for heavy tow truck: http://images.google.se/images?q=heavy+tow+truck

The only ones with a tall crane are built out of LEGO. :D

Not that it makes your MOC any less impressive in any regard, mostly curios if you had a "real world" inspiration?

I proudly present my third model built in 1:17 scale. It weights over 4kg's and it's my biggest MOC so far.

It's a rotator tow truck, with front based on Kenworth W900 truck:

General view:

The whole pneumatic instalation consist:

- compressor with two small pumps, powered by one RC motor, turned on/off by pressure switch (it looks almost like this switch

- 4 red pneumatic cylinders used for raising the crane boom.

- 2 pneumatic cylinders used for raising the wheel lift arm

- 1 pneumatic cylinder used for tilting the wheel lift

- 1 pneumatic cylinder used for raising the second axle

- 4 pneumatic cylinders used to stabilize the truck (two in front outriggers, 2 on the rear)

- 1 Manometer, which shows air pressure in the whole installation

- 1 air tank

Almost all function switches are hidden above the rear axles:

I'm very impressed that you managed to cram all this functionality in there and yet, looking at it it isn't at all obvious. It's all very well hidden. I love American wrecker trucks anyway, so this ticks a lot of boxes.

This MOC is even better today!

Just noticed the license plate, hah! :D

One beef though, how many tow trucks have a crane like that? I made a Google image search for heavy tow truck: http://images.google.se/images?q=heavy+tow+truck

The only ones with a tall crane are built out of LEGO. :D

Not that it makes your MOC any less impressive in any regard, mostly curios if you had a "real world" inspiration?

The majority of heavy duty wrecker trucks don't have a crane that rotates, but there are plenty that do. I built a wrecker truck a few years ago (albeit on a much smaller scale and with far less functionality) and it too has a rotating crane. I based that on pictures of a real truck from a book. Search images for "heavy duty wrecker" and you'll find plenty.

Cheers,

Ralph

Absolutely stunning. :wub: The amount of functionality in this MOC is incredible.

Search images for "heavy duty wrecker" and you'll find plenty.

Yeah, you can even buy one!

'M_Longer' you are a genius ! :grin:

What a piece of Lego building and electrical/pneumatic technology combined - totally AWESOME !

How long does the battery packs last to their next recharge ?

In anycase you have done such and awesome job ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! ! :laugh:

Hi Marek!

It is quite a feat to bring me into the Technic forum :blush: , but I could not pass by without saying something after I saw this baby.

This creation is really something else, so incredible!!! I watched the video twice already, and am so damn impressed!

Really really well done. :thumbup:

Does it transform into a giant robot? Huge thumbs up by the way. Amazing attention to detail and scale.

Edited by Strand

What an incredible MOC, excellent job.

Off topic, I see you used a track from the Iron Man Soundtrack in the vid.

That is Incredible M_longer! :oh::wub:

The truck is beautiful! It looks exactly like the real thing!

The PF is amazing aswell, you must have used so many motors. :oh:

Amazing job with this lovely MOC!

CommanderFox