WesternOutlaw

Train Tunnels

I had a go at building a very symmetrical basic tunnel out of bricks and it uses a lot! One 32 x 32 straight tunnel section and one 32 x 32 corner uses nearly 400 2x4 green bricks from memory, hence my tunnel is not very long :-(

My Tunnel

I would have deep linked the image, but I did not want to get an ear chewing from the pixel police. So you will have to check out the link.

As to why lego won't make it, I guess it's the same reason they won't make an office block or a skyscraper, it has limited playability. Adults want it, but the kids are not going to rush to the shops to buy it, and it uses loads of bricks. Although they did make a single moulded piece tunnel for Duplo.

Paul

I think if I were to build a tunnel I'd make sure that the tunnel mouth (and any visible inner tunnel) were nicely modelled, then invest in some second-hand Duplo to support the tunnel further in (any colour would do), or possibly use a minimal amount of Technic beams (rotated 90 degrees) as 'pit props'- leaving plenty of space to get my arm in to rescue capsized trains! Alternatively, I'd design whatever was going on top of the tunnel so as to be easily detachable to access the inner tunnel.

Imho the best way is to use a technic construction and create the tunnel in such a way like the modulair houses.

I've just remembered I filmed the building of my tunnels! I know I've posted this before, but the beginning of the video particularly is all about building the two twin-level tunnels. In total there are three levels of track, 2 in the tunnels and 1 sitting on top.

the video.

If it helps, I can post a series of stills used to make the video sequence.

Andy

I think tunnels just take up a lot of bricks, and since train specific sets don't sell well compared to other themes, there's little chance of seeing one from TLG.

Instead of the Tunnel set being exclusively for trains, TLG could sell the tunnel for a one-lane street or for a train, instead of being exclusively for trains.

The only way I could see it happening (tunnel kit) is if LEGO comes up with a few giant BURPs (big ugly rock pieces). Personnally, I'm still upset about that giant wing piece that the newer airplanes use. Big pieces tend to be anti-creative so I'm not exactly rooting for more of them. So in my mind, a LEGO tunnel kit would be a mixed blessing.

Dan-147

I agree that a Lego Tunnel kit being a mixed blessing.

I've built a couple of layouts with tunnels on multiple levels over the last 3 to 4 years. All of them are open sided/backed, only the visible sections are built to colour. The open sides etc help with access when there is a derailment etc.

As a rough estimate, based on Bricklink purchases specifically for the hills/tunnels on these layouts (the latest one it here) there are about 4,000 2x2 green bricks and about 1,000 other bricks made up of 2x3, 2x4, 1x1, 1x2 and other assorted bricks in the two tunnels. I don't want to think of the cost....

Andy

A bit off topic, but I'm loving the 121 Push-Pull there!

Pre dark ages I used had an 'underground' in the corner of my layout, which wasn't much lower than said layout (it was on the deceased top of a mini snooker table on my floor, so maybe 4 inches), had to build up the height of the station to make the 'tunnel roof' go over my single train.

I don't see why tlc should make a tunnel set. what would be the play feature of it ??? each lego set has the purpose to keep kids (and non kids) busy playing with some play features. even the set with the bridge had a truck used to move it with some workers minifigs.

even if it could be a useful addition (for many afols) I don't think it will have great sales.

the best I can think of, could be just the entrance of a tunnel (like the plastic ones sold for H0/N etc.) with maybe a small mountain station, but nothing more.

have a nice lego day

mrBlue

the best I can think of, could be just the entrance of a tunnel

have a nice lego day

mrBlue

I think a Tunnel entrance as a set is a great idea. We should all chip in and design features! Doesn't have to be Train-only. Just a generic tunnel entrance that could be used for people, cars, whatever. An archway, two slopes coming down and an overhang. If we could think of a few things to make it more interesting I bet it is do-able!

I'd like to make a typical tunnel entrance for railways of the United-States.

But I don't know how they are.

Can someone give me clues ?

I Google-imaged "Train Tunnel" and got some great ideas. Most of the images' websites will be pretty clear whether they are from the US or not.

When making my recent station which I have just posted I wanted the train to go through it and out the other side under part of the building. It does add a huge amount of brick to the number required even for something so simple as this, so making a whole proper tunnel anything like realistic is going to be a massive undertaking. I think a brisge would be more likely but even that would take a lot of space even for a shallow one.

Having said that I think possibly a themed one like we have seen in some of the City posts could work, where it is built into another structure, but it would still be a huge expense and probably would not sell well as essentially it is just a box.

But I'd still like one.

I agree tunnels are real brick gobblers. I built a small (2 x 48x48 baseplates) tunnel on a bend for our recent brick.ie display in Dublin. I had to use grey near the inside of the tunnels where people could see in but the infrastructure underneath used lots of second-hand bricks that I acquired in a charity shop. I still needed lots of green pieces though.

IMG_5615

They should make a simple tunnel, using the base-plate technology (vacuum-formed sheets)

That would make it sufficiently cheap compared to its limited playability.

Like this:

B3007%20-%20Tunnel.JPG

It could be a 45º section, enabling putting two (or more) together to form longer tunnels. Some studs here and there to allow for individual decoration.

I agree tunnels are real brick gobblers. I built a small (2 x 48x48 baseplates) tunnel on a bend for our recent brick.ie display in Dublin. I had to use grey near the inside of the tunnels where people could see in but the infrastructure underneath used lots of second-hand bricks that I acquired in a charity shop. I still needed lots of green pieces though.

IMG_5615

It was popular with the (younger) kids though: they all wanted to see a train coming out of the tunnel...

IMG_5615

Just curious as to whether anyone has used Duplo bricks for the underlying infrastructure of a tunnel (or anything else for that matter)... I seem to recall they are compatible to some degree with regular bricks, and being much bigger it seems less would be required...

They are compatible and recommended by Lego professional builders for hidden areas of large models. You can attach four standard 2 x 4 Lego bricks to the top of a 2 x 4 Duplo brick.

I'll be picking up a few of them at some stage to help build up a hillside.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Has anyone LDDd a tunnel structure? I know the odds are low, but I'm plotting out my big ol' holiday display, and I think a snowy tunnel for the train could be quite attractive, but as I haven't got a train [yet], I'm not sure of the scale of the thing.

I will have to study some of these pictures to get a sense of how big it's gotta be.

To get an idea of the scale, the tunnel portal has to be 10-wide to accomodate the Emerald Night and 13 high (IIRC) to allow pantograph trains/Toy Story train.

If you want to cover that with the simplest hill (think simpler, less high Lego version of the pic Hoexbroe posted) you'll want to go at least 15 bricks high and span 12 or 14 wide. So for example, 30 basic 2x4's for the sides plus plates over the top gives you 4 studs worth of hill/tunnel.

That gives you a ball park estimate of 250 2x4 bricks plus a few dozen plates (plus whatever you need for the tunnel portals) for a theoretical hill that is one 32x32 baseplate long. Of course you'll want a bigger hill than that bare minimum and a wide variety of bricks so you can build a realistic looking landscape, so the piece count just goes up and up.

Edited by AussieJimbo

Has anyone LDDd a tunnel structure? I know the odds are low, but I'm plotting out my big ol' holiday display, and I think a snowy tunnel for the train could be quite attractive, but as I haven't got a train [yet], I'm not sure of the scale of the thing.

I will have to study some of these pictures to get a sense of how big it's gotta be.

The bottom level of this tunnel swallows my freight train whole - that's a loco and 5 wagons - each of them being in the "standard" six-wide and 28 - 34 stud long size. My layout is 8 feet by 4 feet (or approx 240 cm by 120 cm). What you can't see is that it's a double tunnel with two tracks going in side by side on one side and then coming out separately, one in the pic and one under the grey 12v track on the right of the picture. It also plays a key role in supporting the levels above! The middle level takes my extended (5 unit) version of 7745 whole....

Hope that helps to give you an idea of scale.

Andy

Edited by Andy Glascott

They are compatible and recommended by Lego professional builders for hidden areas of large models. You can attach four standard 2 x 8 Lego bricks to the top of a 2 x 8 Duplo brick.

I'll be picking up a few of them at some stage to help build up a hillside.

How? I'm not seeing it... duplos can attach on top of regular size LEGO, but I don't see how it could work the other way around.

What am I missing?

How? I'm not seeing it... duplos can attach on top of regular size LEGO, but I don't see how it could work the other way around.

What am I missing?

That the cylinders on the bottom side of regular Lego bricks fit inside the Duplo studs. :)

duplo-lego-bricks.jpg

Hello all, sorry to bump a 2 year old thread.. BUT...

I read this thread word for word last night and am curious if in the 2 years following this there have been any great tunnels built?? I have started building a corner tunnel in LDD for my layout and would love to see some more inspiration from all you guys :blush:

I'm also trying to figure out what to put on top of my mountain/tunnel.... Suggestions welcome...

Sorry if bumping this was the wrong thing to do, I thought of making a new topic but then came across this one, seemed appropriate....