Sign in to follow this  
Fallenangel

The "Midi-scale"

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

According to the LEGO website, 7778 Midi-scale Millennium Falcon is 23.5 cm long. But I also remember seeing somewhere (maybe in the Star Wars ICS books or the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, but I may be wrong) that the Millennium Falcon is, in fact, around 23.7 or so meters long.

Am I correct, then, in my conclusion that "midi-scale" is actually something very close to 1/100 scale?

Because then 7663 Sith Infiltrator would, in fact, be "midi-scaled".

I'm really not sure about this, because both Wookieepedia and the starwars.com databank list different dimensions for the Millennium Falcon. And besides it's possible that the new LEGO Falcon isn't proportionate to itself.

Additional information from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

And one more thing...

I really hope The LEGO Group releases a Midi-scale TIE to dogfight with the Midi-scale Falcon!!!

Agreed about the TIE! :wub:

There's already a MIDI'ish one in the DS though. :wink:

Im not really sure about the infiltrator being Midi, sorry can't help you there.

CommanderFox

Am I correct, then, in my conclusion that "midi-scale" is actually something very close to 1/100 scale?

I don't think "Midi-Scale" means anything other than "too small for a fig, too big to be micro".

I'm really not sure about this, because both Wookieepedia and the starwars.com databank list different dimensions for the Millennium Falcon. And besides it's possible that the new LEGO Falcon isn't proportionate to itself.

Very few Star Wars ships have exact dimensions. The bigger they are the less reliable any figure is. Here's a good example of this.

I'm not a big fan of midi-scales as I find them too intermediate. Not much playability and minifigures but lacks the detail of a UCS set. But A Midi Tie seems cool.

I don't think "Midi-Scale" means anything other than "too small for a fig, too big to be micro".

[/url].

Yup I agree totally. The use of the word 'scale' be it midi,mini or minifig implies an accuracy that just doesn't exist in lego. For example, if the new rumoured 'midi scale' Stardestroyer was going to be accurate and "in scale" with the midi falcon then it would be well over 2 - 3 metres long!

So for "midi-scale" read "doesn't-fit-into-any-other-catagory-scale" :laugh:

Kaitan

I have to agree with Siegfried, even though there are listed dimensions for alot of ships, who knows how accurate they are when matched up to other ships. Every ship probably wasn't taken into consideration when a new ship was created, so I'm sure alot of ships are to different scales.

I'd agree that midi-scale isn't a kind of definite scale, it is more of "the right size to look good on your desk". That doesn't mean though that you can't have midi ships to scale with each other, and I agree, a TIE in that scale would be cool. Or maybe a midi version of 10131 TIE Collection.

The Falcon has the most hotly-debated dimensions of any ship in the Star Wars universe. Nobody's quite sure how long it is, as there are about four different high-level canon references to its length. I wouldn't go around basing any scales on it. Plus, the midi falcon is somewhat enlongated, which would throw off that scale again. I don't think that midi has any real definition other than the one that Siegfried offered.

Although 1/100 scale does seem about right...

It does indeed... but I'd at least wait until a second "midi" set is released before drawing any meaning from this. At the moment all we have are opinions. :wink:

I'm not really into collecting these midi scale sets, but my guess is that it's TLCs idea of replacing the old USC set (large, highly detailed, expensive) for a more affordable and smaller set, with trying to retain the details.