WesternOutlaw

LAYOUT: Train Town 6

traintech1.jpg

Hi All:

Last night, I got busy and started dusting my Train Town. As I did so, I quickly found my modulars and road plates rearranged. I thought, what the hay - I'm going to change things up a bit. With the addition of a few new blue baseplates, I redid the town completely. I've been wanting to add a water element and bridge for some time, finally making it happen in the late hours of last night with Pandora playing in the background.

While the track is only set one brick high, it does provide the needed clearance for the bridge. Yes, I would have liked to make the bridge taller and raise up the main town/modular section, but such things take some work. In fact, I initially tried doing so with a few books, but thought, this is too much work - maybe Train Town 7 will incorporate the concept.

With the addition of water, I've added the cargo pier and crane (from 7994 City Harbour), as well as a small section of desert - still need to add some desert bushes and rattlesnakes. The building you see in the desert is my last standing Mexican Village structure, a Mexican Church (awaiting the new Mexican with Sombrero minifig).

town6.jpg

One of the challenging things is that the Modulars take so much space on your layout, and they dwarf all other structures. I had to loose my Train Station, and Town Plan Cinema :sad: . In any case, I like the water, cargo crane, and desert section. This time, LEGOs RC Cargo Train Deluxe is running on the track.

I'll share some additional pictures soon. :classic:

Nice little set. As I look at my town, I realise as you did, the big houses really dwarf the Classic town sets...

Thanks Johan. Here's some additional images:

I've since raised the bridge to three studs high and have the entire loop of track climbing from the rear to the high point of the bridge.

dsc00004.jpg

A small forest to the left adds some green and interesting landscaping:

dsc00002.jpg

dsc00006.jpg

To the right is the small desert with Mexican Church:

dsc00003.jpg

The entire layout shot at an angle:

dsc00005.jpg

This is still a work in process as I'd like to add some additional landscaping. More to come.

I'm planning on adding blue baseplates to my train layout for the shoreline. It seems complex, but hay, it could be a canal.

:tongue::classic::tongue:

New Pictures!

After the great discussion about Train Tunnels, I had to add one - even if it was just a small one. Sort of like the LEGO Duplo Tunnel, very basic - but it does work:

f1.jpg

The tunnel/forest fills space toward the front left curve:

f2.jpg

Another picture:

foresttunnel.jpg

Moving on to the desert, I've added a small stream out of some extra blue and tan plates:

d1.jpg

The desert stream fills the front right section of the layout:

d2.jpg

Another image:

desertstream.jpg

Generally, I find myself not adding much to these corners of my Train Town, so the additional landscaping fills the areas nicely.

EDIT - The entire layout:

town6-01.jpg

LARGE Higher-Resolution Picture

I just finished building the Grand Emporium and have added it to my Train Town as the latest addition. Excuse my double post, but I wanted to share a picture with the new modular:

gett1.jpg

Unfortunately, I had to lose the Town Plan gas station to make room. I may work on changing the desert area since it's too small for my revised Mexican Church. If I only had more space. :sad:

EDIT:

gett2.jpg

(Gas pumps and Town Plan water fountain will be relocated soon)

Great work TheBrickster. The GE is a great addition and the whole block looks excellent. I'm still sceptical about the size of them though -- in general that is, not just in your layout.

The tunnel looks very nice too and I really like that you've added a desert scene.

The small river coming from the sea is an excellent idea. :thumbup:

Btw, was there an old town where your new town is now? Perhaps a Ghost town? :skull: :wink:

Someone or something still haunts the place.

If I only had more space. :sad:

So many LEGO so little space... :cry_sad:

All four look great next to each other, TheBrickster. And the Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium definitely belong next to each other.

Looking good 'The Brickster' looking good ! :grin:

Really nice train tunnel and small stream too !

And finally the GE goes well with FB, GG and then CC.......OK ! :grin:

Keep going your train town is really nice looking and totally I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

very nice layout. Might steal the bridge over the water idea. I need to get a bigger table for my lego city to make that happen. keep up the good work

It looks great, Brickster!

One thing I'm not too sure about is the docks though. The container ship can't fit into port there, because it's blocked off by the bridge. Not a major concern, just something to look out for if you're going for "total realism".

The music matches the train theme, too.

What is that orange structure hiding to the left behind the tunnel, Is that on a different table? It looks about the right height so could it be an extension to allow more space or is it something else entirely?

What is that orange structure hiding to the left behind the tunnel, Is that on a different table? It looks about the right height so could it be an extension to allow more space or is it something else entirely?

It looks like the 10027 Train Engine Shed :classic:

Great looking town Brickster.

I'm particularly impressed by :

- the little lagoon that runs through the sand and how you have put the plants along its edge.

- the small rise in the track, making the bridge effect so much more real

- the little birds (I think they're birds) on top of the Grand emporium.....I think these are additions (aren't they)?

Cheers,

LLL

Looks great, Brickster... it's hard to build such a nice layout in so little space. Do you follow any Train club guidelines for your table size or layouts?

Some day, when I finally have room to build my full layout (I get a temporary one for Christmas every year, but I can't leave it up), I was planning on actually lowering a section for water. I have a Sponge-Bob set my kids gave up on that I'd like to add, and with the CMF divers I figured it would be a good way to include them... maybe a shipwreck.

But given the constraints of a level table, I love the raising of the track just a little bit to bridge over it - nice job!

It all looks great - the train, the shipyard with the crane, the modulars, the greenery... nice.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I built this a few years and have long since removed it from a small table in my computer room. I still have the modulars on top of a book shelf with the addition of the Pet Shop. Never got around to the Town Hall.

I think this was the last Train Town (#7). Had to lose the water to make more space:

traintown7.jpg

Not to get too far off the LEGO Train topic, but the diorama was first eliminated to decluter and dust - that was a great feeling to have cleaned a very cluttered room and table:

5895127335_baaa7310a3_z.jpg

But the neat and tidy table quickly turned into another display - Playmobil Pirates one summer (in vacation mode at the time):

6024319140_5b43d760b0_b.jpg

I'm always changing the table with my moods - it's been a LEGO Classic Town, Wild West town, Grave Stone, Fantasy Castle, an Egyptian desert, and even an Indiana Jones Jungle Adventure:

classictown.jpg

Classic Town Restoration Project

3892276817_09b62afe23_z.jpg?zz=1

Indiana Jones Jungle Adventure (one of my favorites)

The latest is this WWII diorama:

8257300437_3db64e1702_b.jpg

The table is about 3 x 5 feet (approx), but can be extended, and I've added boards to make it wider for the Train Town display. I follow no train community guidelines or standards, just strategically position various baseplates and buildings to fit as much as I can at any given time.

LEGO is the most tedious as dusting is really difficult.

Thanks again for the recent comments. :classic:

EDIT: My FlickR photostream if any of you want to see my latest projects: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25848889@N03/. You're most welcome to visit and drop a note at any time.

Brickster, not to keep the thread off the train town (which is really cool) but where'd you get those shelves for the trains? They have a really nice and finished look without visible brackets that would be approved by my wife.

but where'd you get those shelves for the trains?

The four that are the same size (almost 24 inches long x 4 1/2 inches wide) are from Target. They cost $10 each. It's been a few years since I purchased, but Target would most likely still carry them. I've seen them in white as well - their standard 2 foot shelf.

The top shelf is a bit different - more fancy. I picked that up in a home store a few years ago. I liked the length as it fits the Maersk and it wasn't much.

If you've got a Target near you, check it out. You might even be able to purchase longer shelves. Good luck!

EDIT: oh, here's a better shot:

trainshelves.jpg