Instructions for RC Sportscar "Little Devil"

1265925779m_DISPLAY.jpg

Greetings to all you builders out there,

I have a small present for you all. I did the time-consuming job of making instructions for my latest creation: the Little Devil remote controlled LEGO® Technic Sportscar. The instructions consist of 3 books with 48 pages of building instructions and 1 4-page addendum with a parts-list for the complete model. More information, pictures and a video of the model can be found here

The instructions can be downloaded from my website www.jurgenstechniccorner.com

12659257802_DISPLAY.jpg

For those of you interested in the software I used: the instructions were made using a combination of programs, which (exept from MS Word) can all be downloaded for free in the download-section at www.ldraw.org.

First, the real model was partially disassambled and digitally rebuilt with MLCad and the LDraw Library of parts. Some new parts which weren't present in the official Library (like the new-style panels) were downloaded from the LDraw Parts-tracker. The different steps were created in MLCad. A small converter program called L3P (run through L3PAO) converted the MLCad-files in video-ray-tracing files so the program POV-ray could genetate high quality images. Then I discovered LPub, which is an extremely handy & time-saving program. It combines the functions of L3P and POV-ray with the information from the MLCad-file to produce a series of images. It makes the images for all the diferent steps, it makes Parts-list-images for each step and makes a parts list for the complete model. As last step, all these images were imported in a Word-document, to produce the final instructions.

12659257813_DISPLAY.jpg

Although I had some great help from these programs, and the tutorials found at Ldraw.org and at Holly-Wood.it, it took me almost 2 weeks to make these, so I don't promise to make instructions for all the models I make.

Hope you like it !!

12659270635_DISPLAY.jpg

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

The car looks great and as complicated as any official Ferrari set. I will surely have a go at building this model.

I am not too fond of the wheels used though, and don't even have these.

Your effort to build and document the design has to be praised.

Any videos showing the car driving ?

The model looks stunning. Im not a Technic builder, but I can appreciate an excellent design, this project looks like a great deal of work, and I totally admire the way you have decided to share it.

The car looks great and as complicated as any official Ferrari set. I will surely have a go at building this model.

I am not too fond of the wheels used though, and don't even have these.

Your effort to build and document the design has to be praised.

Any videos showing the car driving ?

Yes, a video can be found on my MOC-page: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/181099

and my You-tube Channel:

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

well, this is an amazing moc. I think it's complicity is great. Well, i would love to give this mac a try. Could you send the files to my email: zmanlane@aol.com

Thank you very much for putting in all this effort. I will certainly be building it. If you are interested, I would be happy to make a PDF of the instructions for you.

well, this is an amazing moc. I think it's complicity is great. Well, i would love to give this mac a try. Could you send the files to my email: zmanlane@aol.com

Sorry, I can't send them to your e-mail adress, the files are too big (over 10 MB). But I don't have too, you can download them from my brickshelf folder: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=417410.

Thank you very much for putting in all this effort. I will certainly be building it. If you are interested, I would be happy to make a PDF of the instructions for you.

Thanx Blackbird, but that won't be nessecary, cause I already have the PDF-files. The problem is getting them online, I haven't had any help from Brickshelf on this subject 8-(. If you could help with getting the PDF's online, then I would really appreciate it.

Wow! thanks! :thumbup:

What size are those wheels?

28 x 70 mm

Thanx Blackbird, but that won't be nessecary, cause I already have the PDF-files. The problem is getting them online, I haven't had any help from Brickshelf on this subject 8-(. If you could help with getting the PDF's online, then I would really appreciate it.

Hmmm, when I put PDF files on Brickshelf I just upload them the same as any other file. I have never had a problem. The biggest file I have uploaded is 65 Mb.

I have looked through your instructions and they are very, very well done. Kudos again on your work.

By the way, I couldn't resist....

little_devil_1.jpg

little_devil_2.jpg

Very impressive! :wub: I've given making a RC LEGO car a go... but without much success. I first modded 8145 which worked but it was unreliable, and 8466 gave me similar results. I eventually decided that it'd be easier to build a car from scratch than to convert as I couldn't get the motor to work reliably. As you say in your E.R.T.W.D. post, the knob gears are the key.

I watched the video and I was quite impressed how well it runs. I'll be downloading the instructions to see if I can learn some better techniques! :laugh:

BTW, what's the part count?

do you have the part names or number. i am going to build it but i am having trouble naming them.

If you download the LDraw file (which he has posted on Brickshelf) and open it in LDView, you can export a parts list which has the names and pictures of all the parts. Alternatively, use Brickstore to generate a wanted list for Bricklink.

This looks amazing! I can only imagine all the work it took to make the instructions for it. That's really kool. And the car is RC too. :grin:

If you download the LDraw file (which he has posted on Brickshelf) and open it in LDView, you can export a parts list which has the names and pictures of all the parts. Alternatively, use Brickstore to generate a wanted list for Bricklink.

Blakbird, there is a problem with using Brickstore ( http://www.brickforge.de/software/brickstore/index.en.html ) to open the Little Devil's LDraw file to generate a parts list. I imported the LDraw file named littled.mpd , but there were 32 ea. parts that were not recognized by the Brickstore program. When I tried looking up those parts using Bricklink's Catalog function, it said that the items could not be found (i.e., those part numbers don't exist). So, I "skipped" all 32 parts by "deleting" them from the Brickstore parts inventory list. After the (now incomplete) parts list was displayed inside the Brickstore program, I selected all of the elements and tried exporting the list to an XML file. However, it "bombed" and went to an Internet Explorer "Page could not be displayed." I used Windows Explorer to see the "Brickstore cache" on my C-Drive (under my User name), but there was no XML file there to open up in Excel to print out the parts list. I tried the "Ctrl+E, Ctrl+I" key sequence to try to export the parts list, but that didn't work for me either. So, I just printed the list directly out of Brickstore but I have absolutely no idea what the missing 32 different parts are.

Can somebody who's successfully exported the COMPLETE parts list please e-mail it to me at LudersDG@MSN.com ? What I'm after is not just the quantity and PICTURE of each part, but the BRICKLINK PART NUMBERS, quantities, and colors needed. I'd really appreciate it; thanks.

is there a remote control that you use. i didn't see one in the indstructions

There are two Lego Power Functions (PF) remote control (RC) units you can use to "drive" the Little Devil: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=8885-1 or http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=8879-1 . The first one makes the PF motors go FULL ON (with no speed modulation); the second one (used for the Lego RC trains) can allow for a more realistic SLOW START and SLOW STOP with its speed control dials.

Edited by dluders

Blakbird, there is a problem with using Brickstore ( http://www.brickforge.de/software/brickstore/index.en.html ) to open the Little Devil's LDraw file to generate a parts list. I imported the LDraw file named littled.mpd , but there were 32 ea. parts that were not recognized by the Brickstore program. When I tried looking up those parts using Bricklink's Catalog function, it said that the items could not be found (i.e., those part numbers don't exist). So, I "skipped" all 32 parts by "deleting" them from the Brickstore parts inventory list. After the (now incomplete) parts list was displayed inside the Brickstore program, I selected all of the elements and tried exporting the list to an XML file. However, it "bombed" and went to an Internet Explorer "Page could not be displayed." I used Windows Explorer to see the "Brickstore cache" on my C-Drive (under my User name), but there was no XML file there to open up in Excel to print out the parts list. I tried the "Ctrl+E, Ctrl+I" key sequence to try to export the parts list, but that didn't work for me either. So, I just printed the list directly out of Brickstore but I have absolutely no idea what the missing 32 different parts are.

Can somebody who's successfully exported the COMPLETE parts list please e-mail it to me at LudersDG@MSN.com ? What I'm after is not just the quantity and PICTURE of each part, but the BRICKLINK PART NUMBERS, quantities, and colors needed. I'd really appreciate it; thanks.

There are two Lego Power Functions (PF) remote control (RC) units you can use to "drive" the Little Devil: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=8885-1 or http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=8879-1 . The first one makes the PF motors go FULL ON (with no speed modulation); the second one (used for the Lego RC trains) can allow for a more realistic SLOW START and SLOW STOP with its speed control dials.

but, there aren't any of those rc remotes.

i tried to get the part numbers also, but the same result happened. if anyone can find all the part numbers and the quantities, can you e mail them to me at zmanlane@aol.com

OK, I just spent a few hours typing up the complete Parts Inventory for Jurgen Krooshoop's "Little Devil" RC Sportscar. I added in the parts that Brickstore couldn't import, and was careful to capture all 1,609 parts. If you want a copy (in either Excel or PDF format, or both), please e-mail me at LudersDG@MSN.com and I'll be glad to send it to you. Legoman777 and Blakbird, an e-mail is on its way to you.

The car functions are further explained on Jurgen's MOCpages site http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/181099 . Thanks, "Jurgmeister"! :cry_happy:

Blakbird, there is a problem with using Brickstore ( http://www.brickforge.de/software/brickstore/index.en.html ) to open the Little Devil's LDraw file to generate a parts list. I imported the LDraw file named littled.mpd , but there were 32 ea. parts that were not recognized by the Brickstore program.

It's pretty common for Brickstore to choke on some of the parts. Mostly there are parts which are unofficial, synthesized, or have different part numbers on Bricklink and in LDraw.

I've made some updates to the MPD file to use the newer light and dark blue colors, and this is what you get from a Parts List export from LDView. You can see that the synthesized parts are wrong, but the rest of it is pretty good. I use this as a guide when I import into Brickstore so I can tell what the discrepant parts are supposed to be. Here is how my Brickstore file came out when I corrected it (in PDF form).

For anyone who actually wants to order the parts for this model, I've posted the actual Brickstore file. You can use this file to upload directly to a Bricklink wanted list. I do it regularly and it works great.

Cheaper to buy them from Shop@Home or bricklink? Coz bricklink has mutiple sellers and means you'll need to pay more postage.

Cheaper to buy them from Shop@Home or bricklink? Coz bricklink has mutiple sellers and means you'll need to pay more postage.

You can't buy the parts from Shop@home. They only have a very limited number of Technic parts available individually and they tend to be very expensive. Your options are parting out sets or using Bricklink. Bricklink part orders will be the cheapest, even with multiple sellers, because you will get exactly what you want.

By the way, one other thing I noticed while doing the parts list concerns the colors. The car was obviously built using the light and dark bluish grays, not the old grays. However, one part in particular (Technic Rib 2744) does not exist in the new gray. If you look carefully at the photos, you can see that the gray on these parts does not match the engine. In my parts list, I changed these to black. YMMV.

Edited by Blakbird