Sign in to follow this  
Rosst

Lego Star Wars Tusken Raiders

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Hello,

I've been wanting to purchase a few Tusken Raiders for my collection but I've noticed that they have differences. Some Tusken Raiders have grey legs and others have tan legs with grey hips. Where there two versions of the Tusken Raider released? I know they were only avalible in the 7113 Tusken Raider Encounter.

Thanks for your time.

-Rosst

I've seen these grey Legged ones. Ebay sellers sell them as 'customs' But they're just trying to save money on legs or something. The official Tusken has old dark grey hands, Tan legs, and Old dark grey hips :wink:

I've only seen the ones form the Tusken Raider encounter.

Edited by Aussie Tahu Nuva

Tusken raiders should be rare but I think with all the customs, the price is not worth as much. Like Aussie Tahu Nuva, they are only available in the small set tusken raider encounter.

Yeah they only came in one set unfortunately and they have hips that are dark old grey. They never came in any other color.

Some Tusken Raiders have grey legs and others have tan legs with grey hips. Where there two versions of the Tusken Raider released? I know they were only avalible in the 7113 Tusken Raider Encounter.

Like everyone else has said they only came the way you saw them in set 7113. However, a LOT of the torsos were available on bricklink more so a few years back. It was the same with the Geonosian torsos, they appear only in set 4478 but they were readily available in numbers that never matched the heads/printed legs/wings. Again the Zam Wessell torso, only in 7133, was all over bricklink in a way the printed legs/head never were.

I think we can all understand that if a rare torso appears on bricklink someone would want to buy up lots of it and try to make a "rare" figure to sell on ebay to people who are unaware of bricklink as a resource.

Why were those items available in such odd numbers? I don't know. I've always assumed they were released by Lego either in europe or the U.S. as a pick-a-brick item and that's how they originally flooded the market.

Does anybody remember any other Star Wars specific minifig part that appeared outside normal numbers? Not counting the Phase I clone parts that were available due to the build a clone events I think the snowtrooper helmet/pack and the AT-AT driver torsos were also plentiful a few years ago (well before the battlepacks were issued).

-David

Like everyone else has said they only came the way you saw them in set 7113. However, a LOT of the torsos were available on bricklink more so a few years back. It was the same with the Geonosian torsos, they appear only in set 4478 but they were readily available in numbers that never matched the heads/printed legs/wings. Again the Zam Wessell torso, only in 7133, was all over bricklink in a way the printed legs/head never were.

I think we can all understand that if a rare torso appears on bricklink someone would want to buy up lots of it and try to make a "rare" figure to sell on ebay to people who are unaware of bricklink as a resource.

Why were those items available in such odd numbers? I don't know. I've always assumed they were released by Lego either in europe or the U.S. as a pick-a-brick item and that's how they originally flooded the market.

Does anybody remember any other Star Wars specific minifig part that appeared outside normal numbers? Not counting the Phase I clone parts that were available due to the build a clone events I think the snowtrooper helmet/pack and the AT-AT driver torsos were also plentiful a few years ago (well before the battlepacks were issued).

-David

I sincerely doubt that they were ever released as Pick-a-Brick. My guess is that there have been equal numbers of torsos and legs at one point or another. Perhaps someone stockpiled the legs for a MOC that they made multiples of for sale on eBay as well. I've only purchased one such figure in my life (a Roman legionary) and the torso and legs used in it came from two completely different figures (since that combination had never been paired to my knowledge). If this isn't the case then most likely they just didn't pair them with the proper torso because they didn't keep track of their inventory and which pair should be together.

Short answer: there has never been an official released Tuscen Raider with legs that are different from the ones included in the 7113 Tuscen Raider Encounter set. Where the gray legs come from - I just don't know, but I also made the discovery that many Tuscen Raider minifigures which are traded at ebay have those legs... but no idea why.

I sincerely doubt that they were ever released as Pick-a-Brick. My guess is that there have been equal numbers of torsos and legs at one point or another.

The numbers just don't support your guess. Do a quick search on bricklink for the Zam Wesell torso, over the last 6 months 1,635 "new" torsos have been sold and there are currently 632 "new" torsos in shop inventories. There have been NO sales of "new" copies of the printed legs for that figure in the last 6 months and there are only 30 "new" copies of the printed legs in store inventories. Also, the printed torso without arms/hands for Zam Wesell has sold 336 "new" copies in the last 6 months and there are currently 829 "new" copies in store inventories.

Add all that up and it tells you that 3,432 "new" Zam Wesell torsos have either sold in the last 6 months or are currently in store inventories versus 30 "new" printed legs in the same time frame. Do you want to believe that people have been hording 3,400 printed legs over that time period? And you need to remember this figure only appeared in one set, a $30 set, that was released about 8 years ago. I was guessing at the pick-a-brick link but I can't believe that people have been popping open almost 3,500 copies of set 7133 and selling off the Zam torso while hiding the legs to the figure. The Zam head is almost as available with about 3,000 "new" copies sold or in inventories over the last 6 months.

More on topic the Tusken Raider torso has had 1,728 "new" copies sold or in inventories in the last 6 months. The armless torsos add another 110 "new" copies. There have been just under 4,000 copies of "new" tusken heads sold or in inventories in the last 6 months. Where as there have only been 84 "new" copies of the corresponding leg assemblies that came with the tusken raiders. Bare in mind those heads/torsos/leg assemblies only came in set 7113, it was a $10 set if I remember correctly, and it also was released 8 years ago.

The hard part in figuring out how these items made it to market is that they were at their peak of flooding the market a good number of years back. Unless someone from bricklink who sold a large number of the items came forward and told us how they got them we can't pin them down any more to a specific store / country. I picked up 20 copies of the tusken raider torso WITH tusken head from a bricklink seller for $0.90 USD each maybe 3-4 years ago and the seller had tons more. I only bought 20 copies because I knew at the time it was hard to come across the correct legs for that figure. Now the first seller who has the torso alone in bulk wants $3.75 each torso so you can see things have changed and the numbers of available parts, while still great, are much less than they previously were.

-David

The numbers just don't support your guess. Do a quick search on bricklink for the Zam Wesell torso, over the last 6 months 1,635 "new" torsos have been sold and there are currently 632 "new" torsos in shop inventories. There have been NO sales of "new" copies of the printed legs for that figure in the last 6 months and there are only 30 "new" copies of the printed legs in store inventories. Also, the printed torso without arms/hands for Zam Wesell has sold 336 "new" copies in the last 6 months and there are currently 829 "new" copies in store inventories.

Add all that up and it tells you that 3,432 "new" Zam Wesell torsos have either sold in the last 6 months or are currently in store inventories versus 30 "new" printed legs in the same time frame. Do you want to believe that people have been hording 3,400 printed legs over that time period? And you need to remember this figure only appeared in one set, a $30 set, that was released about 8 years ago. I was guessing at the pick-a-brick link but I can't believe that people have been popping open almost 3,500 copies of set 7133 and selling off the Zam torso while hiding the legs to the figure. The Zam head is almost as available with about 3,000 "new" copies sold or in inventories over the last 6 months.

More on topic the Tusken Raider torso has had 1,728 "new" copies sold or in inventories in the last 6 months. The armless torsos add another 110 "new" copies. There have been just under 4,000 copies of "new" tusken heads sold or in inventories in the last 6 months. Where as there have only been 84 "new" copies of the corresponding leg assemblies that came with the tusken raiders. Bare in mind those heads/torsos/leg assemblies only came in set 7113, it was a $10 set if I remember correctly, and it also was released 8 years ago.

Which supports the idea that the legs have been kept or found their way into a mass-produced MOC. You're looking at Bricklink statistics yet the sales initially talked about were on eBay where it's quite common to see MOC figures sold, sometimes even falsely advertised as "official".

The legs are something I tend to find wear out faster over time than the arms because of the movement of the joints in posing them standing or sitting in a vehicle. That could account for some of the discrepancy in numbers. It's also likely a good number of the "new" torsos are not new but "used", something they couldn't get away with quite as easily with legs which swing like a ventriloquist's dummy.

Which supports the idea that the legs have been kept or found their way into a mass-produced MOC. You're looking at Bricklink statistics yet the sales initially talked about were on eBay where it's quite common to see MOC figures sold, sometimes even falsely advertised as "official".

The legs are something I tend to find wear out faster over time than the arms because of the movement of the joints in posing them standing or sitting in a vehicle. That could account for some of the discrepancy in numbers. It's also likely a good number of the "new" torsos are not new but "used", something they couldn't get away with quite as easily with legs which swing like a ventriloquist's dummy.

Perhaps people were able to get the ugly one-piece legs off of the newly released pen, and attached the top to some gray legs and are trying to scam people.

My guess is when that set first came out, people sold the torso's since they were obviously one of the rare parts, thinking that the legs were available in other sets, or thinking they could save the legs and get just as much selling the torso and head.

I know the Naboo fighter pilot torso was used in the Custom Car Garage, and was even available in Pick-A-Brick for a while; I meant to order several, but didn't get around to it before they removed it from the PAB inventory, alas. Additionally, the torso for Luke in his fatigues, originally created for the Cloud City set, has been reused in a number of non-cloud City sets, and the shuttle pilot torso from the original Imperial Shuttle set has been reused for a skateboarder (!) in a couple different polybagged promo sets.