CopMike

The internal LEGO Color scheme

From Jan Beyer (slightly shortened & edited by me):

Dear all, finally, after many years of discussion we got the go from our Design Lab to share the internal LEGO Color scheme with the LEGO Community.

You can see on the scheme the internal LEGO color number and name.

I feel this is a kind of milestone in the contact between the LEGO Company and the LEGO Community and will ease the communication about the colors tremendously.

Jan

gallery_148_37_26696.jpg

Make prays have been answered.

"Prays to the Lego god, In the hall of Lego's and brick's"

Edited by clone killer

This could be quite useful, especially the official names for the colors. I wonder what the logic behind the numbering scheme is though. The numbers seem to be pretty random.

Of course, this table doesn't cover all the different shades of each color that TLG produces these days. :tongue:

So, now we have to learn TLG's official names for the colours?

I'm already confused, since they call regular green for dark green and tan for brick-yellow :wacko:

This will take a while to learn I think. :blush:

Edit: I'm especially lost in the "nougat" field, anyone who knows which colours those are :wacko:

Edited by Etzel

Of course, this table doesn't cover all the different shades of each color that TLG produces these days. :tongue:

:laugh: You mean all those colors in between 'solid' and 'transparent'. And don't forget glow-in-the-dark yellow.

And those color numbers look like completely random numbers.

I always find it hard to exactly match up the on-screen colors with the real brick colors. But I'm sure it won't be long before someone replicates this chart using real Lego bricks (someone with a big collection and a color fetish, any candidates?) and someone who matches this color list with Bricklink/Peeron colors.

This is really interesting Copmike. Does this mean these colours are in production this year? Sand Blue making a come back?

The effects colours look like they are weapon etc colours.

And those color numbers look like completely random numbers.

I always find it hard to exactly match up the on-screen colors with the real brick colors. But I'm sure it won't be long before someone replicates this chart using real Lego bricks (someone with a big collection and a color fetish, any candidates?) and someone who matches this color list with Bricklink/Peeron colors.

Each time they try a new colour its probably recorded, so the random numbers are probably the most useful batches they came up with.

Perhaps Holodoc would be interested in a colour chart, though it would be imperative that each colour use the rarest part available. Then maybe Shadows is our man :tongue:

Assuming the numbers are assigned based on a counter that increments by one with each new colour released, there are a lot more colours than I thought there were. I suppose this means I need to stop calling it "bley" and refer to it as "Stone Grey" now.

Yeah, the horse has kind of bolted when it comes to colour names. I really don't want to have to relearn them all again :wacko:

I wonder if the 312 Medium Nougat shade is the new Prince of Persia colour in the Alamut set? The other nougat shades seem to correspond to flesh tones. If this is the 2010 chart you'd think any new colours would have to be included.

And unless they have stopped producing metallic silver and gold, and pearl gold, altogether then how do the golds sit under 297 Warm Gold? Is the new metallicy-pearl Atlantis trident/ gate piece colour a complete replacement for the other shades of gold?

Its a really nice palette and its cool to see the names of the colours.

New colors are always awesome, can't wait to see were they're going to be used.

Phosph Green sounds cool, I always loved green,

I wonder if the 312 Medium Nougat shade is the new Prince of Persia colour in the Alamut set? The other nougat shades seem to correspond to flesh tones. If this is the 2010 chart you'd think any new colours would have to be included.

Seems to be, Nought, I like that name. 8D

Edited by Legorski

Awesomesauce. I've been gathering these (at least, the ones used in BIONICLE) from various sources (Peeron and Isodomos, mostly) for some time, but this list still helps fill in some gaps I've had.

"Medium Nougat" is one I've never seen before, and it's the latest number (and thus the newest color) on the list. Perhaps that's the new Prince of Persia color everyone's raving about? "Transparent Bright Green" likewise is obviously the transparent green featured in Atlantis.

I think it's odd that they spell "fluorescent" with an "ou" rather than a "uo". Is that a European spelling for that word, or a misspelling? I've always seen it as "fluorescent".

Wish we could get a full list of all the colors ever, but this is certainly very useful in its own right.

I think it's odd that they spell "fluorescent" with an "ou" rather than a "uo". Is that a European spelling for that word, or a misspelling? I've always seen it as "fluorescent".

Nah, everyone misspells it both sides of the pond. They mean fluorescent. etymology comes via fluorspar (calcium fluoride)

Edited by sarabob

Phosph Green sounds cool, I always loved green,

I thought Phosphorescent Green was the 'glow in the dark' colour used for Bionicle spines etc, but I may be wrong.

I thought Phosphorescent Green was the 'glow in the dark' colour used for Bionicle spines etc, but I may be wrong.

Now that I gave it a second though, It could be... I tend to be the one wrong so It probably is. My bad! :grin:

I'm especially lost in the "nougat" field, anyone who knows which colours those are :wacko:

I'm thinking the "nougat" colors are what we've typically called "flesh" (like on bricklink). I think Light Nougat definitely looks like Light Flesh, and Nougat resembles the Flesh we've seen in many of the Indy sets. I guess that would suggest Medium Nougat is Dark Flesh, but they don't seem to match as well as those other two. Maybe it is a new color?

Transparent greens:

48:

A dark standard green.

311:

The new green used in Atlantis.

49:

used for e.g. crystals in Power miners, more like a yellow colour

This color list from Peeron is perfect for "translation" of the color names. It lists the colors name from Peeron, Bricklink and TLC. And after a quick check I didn't find that many new colors. Just Dark Nougat, which I guess will be "dark Flesh" in Bricklink-ish as "Nougat" is LEGO's name for the fleshie skin color.

I think the colours are as follows:

# 18 - Nougat - is what we commonly call Dark Flesh

# 283 - Light Nougat - is what we commonly call Light Flesh

and

#312 - Medium Nougat - probably the new caramelly colour seen in the Prince of Persia Battle of Alamut set

I'm not sure why this is useful really. I mean it's cool to see the official names but unless you print your own decals it's not really much of a big deal. :wacko: