47 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding!

INDEXED

Hi I bought a few City sets today, the passenger plane 3181 being one of them.

Information:

48cm (l) x 28cm (h) x 7.5cm (w)

720 grams - Total

216 grams - Box Only

306 pieces (I added up all the items at the back of the book myself, as the box didnt have any indication of total picecs) - Hope im right!

Here are some images:

Box:

Front:

P1020569%20(Small).JPG

Rear:

P1020568%20(Small).JPG

What's inside:

P1020579%20(Small).JPG

Instruction Book 1:

P1020580%20(Small).JPG

Instruction Book 2:

P1020581%20(Small).JPG

Stickers!

P1020582%20(Small).JPG

Bag 1:

P1020583%20(Small).JPG

Bag 2:

P1020585%20(Small).JPG

Bag 3:

P1020584%20(Small).JPG

Bag 4:

P1020586%20(Small).JPG

Will start on building it now...........

Edited by d00dz

Building this was really easy. Instructions were simple and clear. Took about an hr with breaks taking photos.

The set is pretty funky to build, it kinda reminded me of the Titanic as I was building it from the base up.

The plane once built measures approx 37cms long. 38 cm wide (depending on the end wings), and 14cm high.

I really liked the interior of the plane as the windows used 20 clear pieces for 10 windows.

The two engines were interesting too as it uses some technic bits. Wheels all move as does the towing car.

3 minifigs are present. One of them had a suitcase which was openable.

The towing car reminded me of some of the older mini car sets I used to play with. (Shown in one of the images)

Here are the build pictures:

The Minifigs:

Captain:

P1020589%20(Small).JPG

Passenger and worker:

P1020606%20(Small).JPG

With suitcase open:

P1020607%20(Small).JPG

Initial building:

P1020590%20(Small).JPG

Cockpit has etched markings so no stickers needed in it:

P1020592%20(Small).JPG

Funky windows with clear pieces:

P1020593%20(Small).JPG

Side done with windows:

P1020594%20(Small).JPG

All aboard! I just had to do this!

P1020595%20(Small).JPG

P1020597%20(Small).JPG

With cover:

P1020600%20(Small).JPG

The engine of the plane, used some technic parts and was pretty cool:

P1020601%20(Small).JPG

Added engine with plane:

P1020602%20(Small).JPG

Front wheels of the plane:

P1020603%20(Small).JPG

Bottom of the plane:

P1020604%20(Small).JPG

Unused parts:

P1020611%20(Small).JPG

Whole set:

P1020609%20(Small).JPG

P1020610%20(Small).JPG

The towing car with a very very old car set next to it: (Found it in my old box of lego ~20yrs ago)

P1020612%20(Small).JPG

Pros: Easy to build, moveable. Towing car is cool. Price is CHEAP for the size!

Cons: Wish it made noises and had more moving parts, but I guess that's more to do with technics.

A great set for any plane airport collection.

Edited by d00dz

Very nice review there 'd00dz' - thanks for doing it so quick too !

Looks like I'll add this to the buy list and that little towing vehicle so classic town it's not funny !

Very nice review there 'd00dz' - thanks for doing it so quick too !

Looks like I'll add this to the buy list and that little towing vehicle so classic town it's not funny !

Yea it's my first City set in like 20yrs.

Building that towing car reminded me soooo much of the old days, esp the front of the car and the radio how it's attached to the car on the side!

Although it seems lego have changed the wheels. They used to be more grooved, but I guess it's a tow vehicle.

For the price of $49 AUD I thnk it's a good set.

Yea it's my first City set in like 20yrs.

Building that towing car reminded me soooo much of the old days, esp the front of the car and the radio how it's attached to the car on the side!

Although it seems lego have changed the wheels. They used to be more grooved, but I guess it's a tow vehicle.

For the price of $49 AUD I thnk it's a good set.

I think BigW was cheaper though a couple of bucks I'll check in the morning !

And its your first city set in so long - welcome back to the world of city !!! :laugh:

Great review - but where did you get all the little green aliens? :oh:

Looks like a fantastic set - thanks for the review!!

Thanks for the review! I will definitely not get this set, it really seems not good at all to me :thumbdown: The plane itself looks pretty good on the outside, and i like the little yellow car that comes with it, but that's about it. the amount of only 3 Figs, of which only ONE is a passenger is a bad joke. Also, there is no interior in the plane except seats and the cockpit controls. Why not add a at least luggage room, and a room for the stewardesses or something like that, come on. Sorry, this is a big letdown for me.

Great review - but where did you get all the little green aliens? :oh:

Looks like a fantastic set - thanks for the review!!

They're from 7591 or 7592 - Constructa-Zurg and Buzz

Great review, thanks d00dz :thumbup: loads of detailed photos!

My main qualm with this set is the lack of minifig accessibility - there's no isle for them to walk down to get to their seats, and no door or ladder/staircase to allow them to board the plane :sceptic: . Also, it would have been really cool to have wheels that are retractable, or a hold area for luggage, etc, but I suppose that would be a bit too complicated.

Duplo nose is always bad, but this is the best looking CITY plane we've had for a good while. I just wished the seats were off to one side with a little 2-wide isle instead of the seats in the middle. I'm not familiar with the pieces so I don't know if that can be modded easily.

The other thing that can make his better is the "HEY!" pilot dude piloting this plane with that face

Unused parts:

P1020611%20(Small).JPG

Whole set:

P1020609%20(Small).JPG

Just so you know, the white grill is from the wing on the right in the 'Whole Set' picture. I think you missed it out. :grin:

Anyway, great review. :thumbup: The set is very nice, but the price tag is not. Ah well, maybe when it goes on sale...

Nice collection of aliens you have there. :tongue:

I'm debating whether or not to buy this, it does seem like a good price for so many bricks. I'll have to think about it.

Thanks for the review :classic:

Edited by Ratshot

Thanks for the review, doodz! This is the rarest of creatures - an Aussie-first retail release and exclusive review :tongue: Now do the airport! And the limo set! :laugh:

The plane looks OK. I do like the overall shape, but for the size you really don't get much more interior than the really old classic small planes like the 6597 Century Skyway plane - just a row of seats one in front of the other as in that more compact set. Compared to the 2006 7893 Passenger Plane, which had a better interior, this is a little bit of a let-down. I can't help but feel that there must have been some compromise between size and detailed interior that would sit somewhere between the 2006 and 2010 versions.

Still, it's nice to see a more brick-built version, although I am still not convinced by that nose piece. The price seems OK too. Thanks again for the review!

I got this set the other day, it is a really good plane and not a bad price either, and best of all, no quality issues here as all of it is made in Europe.

Edited by Aussie Tahu Nuva

Thanks for the great review mate.

I'm really 50/50 on this.

I like my 7893 passenger plane and this one seems small compared to it and I don't like the seating in this. Might buy it and use it as a executive jet to go with the heli and limo set I'm sure it could be pimped out.

Edited by sebby

LOL Ooops missed that white grill! Thanks Jammiedodger714 :P

@Svelte: Definately europe version. Im surprised that the retailers here have released all the city 2010 sets early (except the fire ones). They arent even avaliable on S@H! I will build the airport plane tonight and do another mini/picture review of it.

I got the little green alien's from the toy story set got em from BL. Cost me quite a bit, but I just couldnt help not buy it :P

Great review! :thumbup:

The 2010 City Reviews continue with this one :classic:

I always thought that these large planes were odd, however I quite like this one as planes in real life are huge.

The best part has to be the construction is mostly brickbuilt and the only single mold is the nose. :wub:

Compared to the other planes which use a lot of prefabricated parts.

The little towing car is very nice. The things that are lacking here are the interior, not in seating because there are plenty of seats for once :grin:

But in detail, the Plane in the 2010 Airport has a very nice interior. Oh well.

Also the minifigures are not amazing, not one new one. :sceptic:

Thanks!

Good review. I'd say this set makes an interesting compromise- While it does have large parts, it does have a lot more bricky-ness to it than the last passenger planes. Hooray for 6-wide planes! :grin:

Looks great. :thumbup:

Would love to have this even though I already have the previous passenger plane.

The tow-cart is lovely and cute and the plane looks very swoosh-able.

Hello everybody!

This is my first post out here.

I actually like the set though there are some negative points.

I dislike pretty much the new nose. It is convenient for helicopters but for a plane it's nonsense.

The plane is 6-studs wide though they could have made it 4. However, it's nice that this plane is rather different from the big jet in 3182.

The plane reminds me much of the legendary plan in 6597, so this one might have been better if they had made the half of the hull lift.

Edited by Night City Dream

Thanks for the review. Confirms that I WILL be buying this set as soon as I can get my hands on it (I have plans to turn it into a private/corporate type jet)

Nice review! I'm looking forward to adding this set to my collection as well! The more I look at that new nose assmebly, the more I can see it being used as the nose of a Japanese bullet train MOC... I'm sure those budding train builders have already thought of this though...