Sign in to follow this  
the enigma that is badger

BrickArms Musket Prototype

It stresses the U-Clip a bit, but yes, you can mount a BA Bayonet from the side as well!

Cool! I wonder if it would be less stressed if it was attached in the very front, near the tip of the barrel and the ramrod. It looks like the right thickness and may brove less stress (without the bulk of the stock)?

For maximum versatility, Will based this accessory on a number of different muskets, notably the classic Brown Bess and the Springfield M1861. Given the level of abstraction of the minifig accessory aesthetic, this accessory should end up being useful for any type of musket, flintlock or percussion cap. The key detail, the hammer, is actually a detail Will is still working on, and he does currently plan on a design that would work well for any type of musket and is possible with the types of molding using to create BrickArms accessories.

Ah, I see. It's not of huge importance, but it is a very nice detail!

Agreed, but this doesn't look TOO realistic to me. It's only a little more detailed than this Lego riffle. Usually Brickarms manages to strike more or less the right balance.

I'm not sure what doesn't look vastly realistic over the official rifle you referenced. The lock is on the gun's right side, it has an exposed hammer, a rammer is mounted below the barrel, stock flare looks about right and it has a barrel band. Speaking as someone who fired 19th century black-powder weaponry weekly for 3 years as part of my job, this model is vastly more detailed and more accurate than the official LEGO accessory.

If and when the BA Musket is mass produced, rest assured it will be available in the same high-quality ABS that all current BrickArms products are produced in!

Any chance you could give us a ballpark estimate as to when we might see these amazing weapons? That is IF they are in fact produced

Thanks

Oh, this musket looks great. I think gunmetal would be the color to go, but I await the final product. It's always great to see what's cooking over at brickarms, now I'm just awaiting this and the chance to get a bunch of bayonets for my minifigs, they are all longing for that pointy tactical option.

Any chance you could give us a ballpark estimate as to when we might see these amazing weapons? That is IF they are in fact produced

Thanks

Usually when BA shows new Protos they dont release for a year or longer....

Thanks! That gives me plenty of time to save some $$ for a ton of these things :pir-classic:

Unfortunately, I really can't comment in terms of when this accessory would be added to the BrickArms line-up (if indeed it will be at all).

That said, what Gen. Armendariz said is fairly accurate in regards to the fact the process of taking a design from prototype to mass produced accessory that's available on the BrickArms website; it's a long, labor-intensive process that can take many months, if not over a year, for Will to develop a new production mold that's filled with finalized designs.

As I can give you guys updates, I'll be sure to!

Im not much of a pirate fan but that is amazing! :pir-wub: You will be selling heaps of these

Agreed, but this doesn't look TOO realistic to me. It's only a little more detailed than this Lego riffle. Usually Brickarms manages to strike more or less the right balance.

Meh, it's too detailed for mefor some reasons:

1. The surface isn't smooth, but there are (overdetailed :pir_laugh2: ) ornaments.

2. Generally, there are too many details... the detailed BA weapons doesn't fit to the less detailed LEGOish body very well... and by the way, Rick, you cannot compare the weapon you linked with the BA prototype:this rifle is the actual equivalent.

3. LEGO figs aren't tin soldiers! Metal isn't very adequate I think...

What do you think?

1. I tend to agree, although this kind of detailing is still fine for me, it shouldn't get any more detailed. Then it would look out of place. It's all a matter of personal opinion.

2. Sure, I was just pointing out that some minifig accessories are more detailed than others and some are almost as detailed as Brickarms' accessories.

3. As was said before, the prototype is metal, the actual production run will be plastic.

4. I like what you did to your avatar :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Rick

My Imperial Guards are really getting tired of that blunderbuss. They want a really rifle. :pir_laugh2: Can't wait for this to come out. Brickarms has done a fabulous job on this one. Now if somebody would just come out with a more realistic flintlock pistol. :pir-sweet:

Excellent. I will definitely be getting a bunch of these. Though, not to split hairs it is a percussion gun (not in military usage until the mid 1820's), not a flintlock. I am still very excited about these.

3. LEGO figs aren't tin soldiers! Metal isn't very adequate I think...

Just to be clear, Will does not plan to produce or market any solid metal BrickArms accessories. This was just a fun test of the the capability of a 3D printer to create a solid metal object from one of Will's designs. Only a very, very small number were made, and when Will has the time to revisit this design and cut his own prototype mold, it will be injected with the same high-quality ABS plastic that all BrickArms accessories are!

Now if somebody would just come out with a more realistic flintlock pistol. :pir-sweet:

One accessory at a time! :wink:

Still, it is truly great this new prototype is getting the reaction is has, and when Will has the time to start designing and prototyping again (not likely for at least awhile with all the orders that have poured in since Will reopened BrickArms after the holidays!), one or two more Pirate items are certainly possibilities. We'll have to see!

That is great! :pir-wub: I would for sure buy some of them.

Though I think I would like brown plastic ones more since that is more lego-like and because the biggest part of real muskets is brown as well (isn't it? :pir-classic: )

But it still looks fantastic :pir-sweet:

I love it! Thers never enough weapons to go arownd. Ill Take as meny as my truck will hold. Now all we need is some Blunderbuss's, Cutlesses, Pistals, and cannons. Then We will be redy to control the seas once agen.

I do wish I know how thay make there products. Thay must have an injection molding machine and a rapid prototiper or sumthing.

I fully love this design. I don't personally own any Brickarms, but I would buy large quantities of this one. I would also like to second the idea for a matching BA flintlock style pistol without the ridiculous blunderbuss muzzle.

Giving this thread a bump as Will has created a prototype mold using an updated design for the BrickArms Musket!

4865400568_edab5b5b80.jpg

4865400624_dbd5c74705.jpg

4864781587_6edd65e5c4.jpg

4864781559_6ff5eb9a85.jpg

Notice the new detailing in the hammer of the Musket! Still, it is still a work in progress, and any and all constructive feedback you have will be great appreciated and taken into consideration!

That is beatiful, even at it isnt finished yet :pir-cry_happy: Now i really want those for my army :pir_laugh2: Thanks for sharing these new pics

Captain Becker