Sign in to follow this  
Dennimator

Twin-pod Cloud Car

gallery_101_23_281.gif

---UPDATE---

p1011242.jpg

p1011240.jpg

I was watching Star Wars: The Empire Stikes Back, and when I watched the Cloud City scene, I thought "hey, it would be cool to have a MF-scale Cloud Car". I don´t like the official one (who does? :hmpf: ), so I searched the web to see if someone had built a nice one. To my surprise I couldn´t find any decent MF-scaled ones, so I decided to build one from scratch.

My first thought was; how should I build the rounded shape? I tried different solutions, and finally I settled with using lots of jumper plates (there´s over 100 of them in this MOC). It may seem a little blocky at first glance, but IMO it is the nicest solution overall.

Enough talking, now to the MOC:

p1011207.jpg

p1011208.jpg

p1011209.jpg

p1011213.jpg

The back was tricky, as I wanted it to have that wierd off-set shown on the 'real' one. I used a 4 x 4 dish connected to a 1 x 4 plate in order to get the off-set:

p1011215.jpg

p1011216.jpg

A pic of a 'real' one for comparison (note the off-set in the back):

twinpod.jpg

The cockpit: (Sorry for the blurry pics)

p1011220.jpg

p1011221.jpg

p1011223.jpg

It can seat a minifig, but as I don´t have any where I am now, I couldn´t take a pic with a minifig in it. :sceptic:

The Brickshelf Gallery (when moderated).

Feedback and constructive criticism welcome. :classic:

Edited by KimT

Really nice.

I thought it looked a bit strange at first but the design is brilliant,

It is very like the real version.

Not bad. You definitely captured the general shape and scale of it. :thumbup: I would have preferred a less blocky solution for the front, and I'm not very happy with the cockpits either. Not only do they have non-Lego elements, but they are also slanted back too much. In your reference pic you can clearly see that the windows are rather steep, and the tops are flat. Yours are almost at a 45 degree angle, and your roofs are slanted back. Experiment with them a little more, and you'll have a great MOC! :classic:

And it would be nice to see a shot of it with minifigs in it.

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Nice. I like the cockpit and the back. I like that you didn't use big slopes for the front. :thumbup:

Really nice.

I thought it looked a bit strange at first but the design is brilliant,

It is very like the real version.

Thanks. :classic:

Not bad. You definitely captured the general shape and scale of it. :thumbup: I would have preferred a less blocky solution for the front, and I'm not very happy with the cockpits either. Not only do they have non-Lego elements, but they are also slanted back too much. In your reference pic you can clearly see that the windows are rather steep, and the tops are flat. Yours are almost at a 45 degree angle, and your roofs are slanted back. Experiment with them a little more, and you'll have a great MOC! :classic:

And it would be nice to see a shot of it with minifigs in it.

Thank you. :classic: Well, slopes just didn´t look good in this scale, and IMO it kinda fits in ´blocky´. I for myself have no problems in seeing the front as rounded. I guess that´s different for everyone.

Yeah, but there isn´t really a cockpit that fits better, and the 'non-lego elements' are only stickers. :wink:

Okay, I´ll post a shot with a fig as soon as I get back home. :classic:

Nice. I like the cockpit and the back. I like that you didn't use big slopes for the front. :thumbup:

Thank you. :sweet:

The noses are a bit blocky but it makes good shape. I like how you tiled it, I like tiles :tongue:

Hello!

This is a quite unusual approach, but it works well. :classic: You've spent so much time and effort on the pods that you might have overlooked the details of the centered repulsorlift engine. As your construction seems a bit too narrow anyway, you maybe could add one or two studs for the centered wing. If you compare the width/length ration in the blueprints, two studs will easily fit in to give the correct ratio. :classic: This would also have the advantage that the engine would no longer touch the pods. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Edited by Legostein

This is defentally an interesting MOC. I'm having a hard time getting used to the front, but the effort gone into the design and construction is certainly amazing :thumbup: i never did like the original Cloud car, and i thought there would of been a redesign by now :sceptic:

at an rate, great MOC, very unique :thumbup:

Wow, this is great! :thumbup: The nose cones look excellent. I'd much rather prefer brick-built noses than those <insert that tiresome argument> nose pieces. :sick: The cockpits look really nice but are slanted to far back. Also the non-Lego elements make it look good but it's kinda cheating. The back of the cockpits are really cool with the round dishes. Good job. :sweet:

:sweet: 100% better than the original.

What more do I need to say!

I completely agree, Its incredible :sweet: .

It reminds me of red socks.........Na I'm just kidding, a really nice moc there. Well done :thumbup:

Edited by Cloney

Hello!

This is a quite unusual approach, but it works well. :classic: You've spent so much time and effort on the pods that you might have overlooked the details of the centered repulsorlift engine. As your construction seems a bit too narrow anyway, you maybe could add one or two studs for the centered wing. If you compare the width/length ration in the blueprints, two studs will easily fit in to give the correct ratio. :classic: This would also have the advantage that the engine would no longer touch the pods. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Thank you.

I´ve added 2 1 x 2 tiles so that the motors don´t touch the cars anymore:

p1011242.jpg

p1011240.jpg

Wow, this is great! :thumbup: The nose cones look excellent. I'd much rather prefer brick-built noses than those <insert that tiresome argument> nose pieces. :sick: The cockpits look really nice but are slanted to far back. Also the non-Lego elements make it look good but it's kinda cheating. The back of the cockpits are really cool with the round dishes. Good job. :sweet:

Thanks. :classic:

Yeah, I know the cockpits are too angled, however I don´t know a way to fix this.. :sceptic: I have to think about it a little more.

Hmm, I do not like the new color variation.

Myself being a simpleton, liked it the way it was.

Thank you.

I´ve added 2 1 x 2 tiles so that the motors don´t touch the cars anymore.

Hello!

You're welcome! The improvemnets look great! I like it a lot better now that it is 2 studs wider. Nicely done! :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Hmm, I do not like the new color variation.

Myself being a simpleton, liked it the way it was.

What do you mean? The colours are the same as before... :look:

Hello!

You're welcome! The improvemnets look great! I like it a lot better now that it is 2 studs wider. Nicely done! :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Thanks. Also, thanks for the tip, I agree it looks much better now. :sweet:

Well sculpted. The design of this is great.

Thank you. :classic:

What do you mean? The colours are the same as before... :look:

OK, I'm going crazy then, I didn't remember the darker red. ignore me :wacko: