ChristineS02

I don't know much about legos. Help?

traintech1.jpg

Hello :classic:

I wanted to get my boyfriend the emerald night train set and all of the things to make it functional. The website lists all of the products that I will need. However, I was wondering if I could get this power functions set ( http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?...87#BVRRWidgetID ) to avoid having to buy everything individually. I know I will still need to purchase some things idividually. The set has a different motor than the one that was suggested. Will it still be ok? Thank you for any help you can give me!

Christine

That's sweeeeeeeet. :wub: But, I'm afraid it's going to be more expensive... You'll need all the Power Functions products listed. But better wait for some real Train-heads to come along here. Maybe someone knows of a cost-effective way...

And... 'legos' is not the plural form of Lego (there is none). :wink:

Edited by Rick

The real question would be : how good a builder your boyfriend is ? If he's a good builder, he shall not get much trouble switching from the XL motor to the one in the set you're poiting at. If he needs the exact building instructions to complete a set, then you should follow the indications of the website.

The set you're linking to is not much use; it contains the wrong motor, the wrong battery box, a switch you don't need and some gears you don't need.

I'm afraid you will need to get the list on the Emerald Night page:

#8882 Power Functions XL Motor

#8878 Power Functions Rechargeable Battery Box

#8887 Transformer 10v DC adapter

#8884 Power Functions IR Receiver

#8870 Power Functions LED Lights

#8879 Power Functions IR Speed Remote Control

The flexible track is not necessary, you'd be better off with 2x#7896 Straight & Curved Rails.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I have a question as well and I wasn't too sure where to post it.

The set you're linking to is not much use; it contains the wrong motor, the wrong battery box, a switch you don't need and some gears you don't need.

I'm afraid you will need to get the list on the Emerald Night page:

#8882 Power Functions XL Motor

#8878 Power Functions Rechargeable Battery Box

#8887 Transformer 10v DC adapter

#8884 Power Functions IR Receiver

#8870 Power Functions LED Lights

#8879 Power Functions IR Speed Remote Control

The flexible track is not necessary, you'd be better off with 2x#7896 Straight & Curved Rails.

Do you need to get the rechargeable battery box and the transformer? Can you just get the normal battery box?

Also, do you need the Remote + IR recevier? Is there a switch that you can just use to get it running?

Sorry for the questions, train noob here :blush:.

Edited by SuperChris

Sorry to bump this thread, but I have a question as well and I wasn't too sure where to post it.

Do you need to get the rechargeable battery box and the transformer? Can you just get the normal battery box?

Also, do you need the Remote + IR recevier? Is there a switch that you can just use to get it running?

Sorry for the questions, train noob here :blush:.

You can use the normal battery box, but it's larger and therefore will be visible in the tender. Others have solved this problem by building it into a baggage car.

You can also do without the IR remote and receiver, but you lose the ability of remote control, and different speed settings.

You can use the normal battery box, but it's larger and therefore will be visible in the tender. Others have solved this problem by building it into a baggage car.

You can also do without the IR remote and receiver, but you lose the ability of remote control, and different speed settings.

Thanks for the quick answer Peterab. £42 is a lot of money so I think I'll go for the smaller one, then edit the tender were needed. Thanks!

The rechargeable battery is also visible in the tender, just to be fair.

It also seems somewhat useless to build the train using a PF motor (instead of adapting it to 9V) and not having an IR receiver and remote control. If you build it with the manual switch, when you turn it on it'll go full speed; when you turn it off (if you can catch it without messing up your train) it'll just stop... those are your two options without the remote - full speed and stop.