Peppermint_M

Replacing Parts

So, as noted in the What is your oldest set? thread I have three sets from 1986. Now I plan on getting all the instructions, taking them apart and cleaning the parts then checking for and replacing any missing parts. I know right away that the figures are all gone, sold in the mid 90s by my uncle (in questing for a mountain bike) however the exact figures for the sets cost $4+, which is not extortionate but it still quite pricey.

My question is thus: Would it be criminal if I simply chose cheaper figures that suited the sets to replace the missing ones?

Is it wrong to replace a rare and expensive part in a set with a cheaper suited counterpart?

Discuss :classic:

What sets/ figures did you have in mind? Maybe it would more helpful if you told us what those are. :wink:

I guess it depends on the set and you opinion. Personally, if I was going to be rebuilding a nostalgic set, I would want it exactly the way it was when I first got it. It just wouldn't be the same for me if I used different figures.

Whatever suits your budget and/ or opinion I would say. If $4 is really that much to you compared to your childhood memories... If I was in your place, there would be no hesitation to spend that $4 for the figs.

8620-1.jpg

8640-1.jpg

8660-1.jpg

Now the thing is, I have no childhood memories of them. They are two years older than I am...

My uncle gave me his old Technic sets a year or so ago and I would like to display them, I'm not a big technic builder so it would be wasteful (in my mind) to just dump them into the MOC boxes. However I strive for completeness and would like to add some technic figures, even if it isn't the figures that came with the sets for display.

This is why I wonder if I need to get the exact figures for the sets and whether people agree or disagree with going for a cheaper option with set restoration.

I thought you said minifigures. There's a big difference between minifigures and... these things, at least for me. Well, if you feel about the sets that way (no nostalgia, just for display), then I would say go ahead with the Technic figures you have. But that's just me.

Um, I said figures (no mini in sight) and I have no Technic Figures, they stopped making them when I was about 9 or 10 when technic went back to more model making than "combat" kits and I wasn't that interested in expensive technic when I could get cheaper impulse sets.

I can find figures on Bricklink that would fit nicely with the sets for less than a dollar, all those guys cost in excess of $5 and I don't pay that much for any one Lego part.

I would certainly pay $4 for any of those figures if the condition is perfect. :tongue: I always liked these Technic figures but don't have any of the ones from the 80s, which had different faces than the 90s ones.

Technic figures are usually not considered to be an essential part of their models the way minifigs are, but these sets are a little different. This Arctic Action line was one of only two "themes" ever made in Technic (the other being Competition), in the sense that it included unique figures and had a specific setting. The sets are otherwise not that mechanically advanced, and in a way the unified theme is what that makes them interesting.

Not one figure is perfect, the $4 one is infact cracked slightly... It's annoying really as I would love to have them to display with some figures.

Not one figure is perfect, the $4 one is infact cracked slightly... It's annoying really as I would love to have them to display with some figures.

If they're all damaged and stuff, you should just get regular figures to sub in for them.

Edited by prateek

Urgh, Conundrum! The most expenisve figure is the Red Guy and he comes in only the one set... I am beginning to think I should just get the original ones regardless of price...

In my opinion I would buy the original figs. I just like to have the set fully complete but thats just me

I would go for the same type of figures that came with the sets just for completeness sake. That's assuming it is not a big financial burden. I wish Lego would bring back the Technic figures now that I've started doing Technic.

I can find figures on Bricklink that would fit nicely with the sets for less than a dollar, all those guys cost in excess of $5 and I don't pay that much for any one Lego part.

I don't have any technic figs, but I say get the cheapest ones you can find in good condition. You don't need the right colored shirts to look good with the vehicles you already have.

Well, I think I will see how many parts need replacing then decide, if it costs a fair bit to replace broken/missing parts then I won't get the figure, if it is in great condition ands all that is missing is the figure, I'll get the correct figure.

Seems like a good compromise.

I would compromise for "planning to replace them all properly eventually". So for the time being display with missing figs and then just replace as you can. If taking this route, I'd just keep looking on ebay indefinitely if you can afford to check regularly. Use a generic search like Lego technic, with minuses for any terms that would cut out unwanted listings like mindstorms, bionicle, etc. and this way you may find poorly described listings. Even without that effort, it could be worthwhile to just have one of those automatic ebay things where it emails you if there are new listings for a search (like "Lego technic figure") - I found this useful for getting hold of a reasonably priced Winter Toy Shop for example.

I like to collect regular Lego sets (albeit some of them used as parts - I still like to know that in theory I have all the parts) that I buy cheap secondhand off ebay and I frequently don't replace missing parts immediately, but just keep a mental note (or a list) of parts to look out for in adding to bricklink orders or in bulk or miscellaneous lots on ebay.

It feels great when you do manage to get the missing parts cheaply as part of something you were going to buy anyway.

Although I'm not entirely adhering to this as I did replace parts from an 8285 Tow Truck (Technic) that I got secondhand, including the quite pricy (for small parts) metallic silver tube connectors. I just liked the set so much I had to complete it fully.

The Arctic Action sets are special. For most Technic sets which have figures at all, it really doesn't matter whether or not you have the figure as it doesn't change the basic purpose of the set which is to function. However, the Artic Action sets represent the first (and nearly only) Technic play sets, and as such the figures along with their skis and poles are a big part of the whole point. Additionally, those particular Technic figures came only in those sets, all other Technic figures look different. They have a unique snowflake on their chest. So, nostalgic or not, I would say that having the figures is a required part of those particular sets.

Thanks for all the advice :classic: I think I will try to replace figures using brickzone's tips and my part replacement total method.

I would like to display complete at some point and the figures will just finish it off :thumbup:

Part of what makes a set special is parts that are only featured in that set.

To replace it with another part that is cheaper is economical but is well complete blasphemy :tongue:

For example, Armor Shop 6041 is made up of mostly common elements and basic figures.

However it contains a highly desired part.

A BLACK Short sword

3847a.gif

The only set to feature it.

You could easily replace it with a grey one. But its not the same. :grin:

I don't own that set, but I bought the black sword, because it was just cool :laugh:

I wonder if anyone knows of this 1986 set made for italy with minimal sets ever made. Its a basic rare set 1619 25th anniversary jubilee set

As to replacing with exact parts... For me, it all depends on the cost of the part. I am not interested in collectible or resale value. 

I like my sets for what they are.

Just MHO, YMMV,

Andy D

Okay, someone bumped a seven year old thread to advertise that they have a rare set. I've got my eye on you.

If anyone is interested, I am getting the original figures slowly when they turn up on Ebay in good condition. It would look better for the set and restore it to how it once should have been.