Sign in to follow this  
ZeeK

[MOC] Transport Hovercraft

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

In early December 2009 four members of Russian community decided to have a small unofficial competition. And we've chosen "the minifig scaled unarmed hovercraft" as the object to be built.

So, if you can read Russian or are aware of Google Translate service, here's THE LINK to the voting theme - hope you'll find all hovercrafts interesting.

Here's my entry...

The design is "classic" the main rotors in the back, the hovering rotors on the sides, the bridge is in the center of upper deck.

gallery_199_240_62171.jpg

The front view. I was not going to create the scale model of the real hovercraft, so I do understand there are certain mistakes. So critics are welcome.

gallery_199_240_240619.jpg

I've tried to add some kind of "curved look" to the windows, and at the moment I'm pleased with the result.

gallery_199_240_17901.jpg

There are doors on the both sides, to the crew can get access to the upper deck...

gallery_199_240_128916.jpg

... to give the main rotors the final check before the mission.

gallery_199_240_188597.jpg

I know, that ExoForce turbines could be replaces with the brick-built structure to fit the "scale", but i haven't mastered one so far... Currently it's diameter is 10 studs, any ideas on 15-wide turbine of similar design - let me know!!!

The front door is used by the assault team - no ramp for vehicles

gallery_199_240_199266.jpg

Yes, this is another thing that could be improved. I've seen Aleksander Stein's hovercraft at Flickr, so i'm going to change the design of the front to put the ramp there.

Side doors for normal boadring.

gallery_199_240_95673.jpg

The raft in the back is a joke - i think they use self-inflatable rafts now :)

gallery_199_240_36299.jpg

The upper deck can be easily removed to get access to the inside...

gallery_199_240_280441.jpg

... where more removable elements are located

gallery_199_240_33877.jpg

The accommodation for the assault squad:

gallery_199_240_109821.jpg

The removable elements

gallery_199_240_224972.jpg

The weapon holders

gallery_199_240_77770.jpg

The crew at the bridge

gallery_199_240_99263.jpg

The captain's workplace - the indicators, the communication facilities, the radar screens and very comfortable arm-chair with head support

gallery_199_240_230296.jpg

Pipe all hands on deck!

gallery_199_240_11890.jpg

Your opinions and critics are welcome.

See Flickr Set for some additional photos

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Wow, that looks great! All the details, working doors, and removable sections really add to the greatness of this MOC. The others have no chance against you! :laugh:

It reminds me of something from the Iron Man videogame, although that one had big guns all over it.

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

The others have no chance against you! :laugh:
We specifically agreed on "no limits" conditions regarding the size, etc. The others are good, however this baby has won.
It reminds me of something from the Iron Man videogame, although that one had big guns all over it.
It's very easy to handle - my son's working on attaching as many guns as possible to it, at the moment the hovercraft looks like very upset hedgehog :)

Thank you for the comment, Oky Wan!

Wowee, that is impressive! Absolutely packed with details, and the removable features are always a plus. Impressive collection of crew too, very nice!

My favourite detail has to be the captain's chair. Now that is cool. :grin:

~Peace

Now, that's one impressive MOC, Zeek! ) :classic::thumbup:

Very well done. Somewhat futuristic-looking, even.

It's up to the scale after all, right? :classic:

Holy cow! I would definitely vote for yours! You really went all out on this one! It's huge!

I don't even care about the detail, the plain size of that thing is astounding! Never take it apart! If I ever hear you did, I might just die! :tongue:

Great job! :thumbup:

I entered this thread expecting a small single person hovercraft and then POW, this is like UCE scale. I love it. It's so big and proportional. Very very impressive. I love all the functioning hatches and doors that are really minifig sized, as well as the cargo and soldier holding area.

I'm stunned.

I smell a frontpage, or at least I hope.

It's very easy to handle - my son's working on attaching as many guns as possible to it, at the moment the hovercraft looks like very upset hedgehog :)

:laugh: Hahaha, I'd love to see that! It would be great if you could post a picture of that. :sweet:

I entered this thread expecting a small single person hovercraft and then POW, this is like UCE scale.

What's UCE scale? And why would a Transport Hovercraft be a one-man vehicle?

But yes, I agree, this is indeed frontpage worthy! :thumbup:

I like how it can easily be opened up for playability. The stairs and the bridge are my favorite parts of the hovercraft :thumbup:

Awesome MOC

Hello!

That is massive and impressive! :classic: I have already seen several big scaled warhips but no hovercraft yet. It's unique! :sweet: It shows so much love for detail, from both sides, interior and exterior. The modular building style is very clever, allowing to access all areas quickly. maong my most favourite details are the radar equipment and the sparkling spot-lights. :classic:

Thanks for sharing!

~ Christopher

One word.

DDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN

NNNNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!

I love it. It's so big and proportional. Very very impressive.
I'd love to see that! It would be great if you could post a picture of that.
It's unique! Thanks for sharing!
Awesome! I rarely see hovercraft MOCs, but this is the best I've ever seen :thumbup:

I'm embarrassed... Many thanks to you all for sharing you opinions and constructive critics!

I'll be able to take some additional pics of the slightly modified vessel soon, and I've already promised my son to take photos of mis "mod" of the hovercraft.

To be honest, there things to be changed to make this playable ship the real model... The main thing was to encourage the members of our community to build snth new and unconventional - do you think that hovercrafts are still "unconventional"? :)

I smell a frontpage, or at least I hope.
this is indeed frontpage worthy!

Mmmm... I'd love to, though i think that this is not as perfect as the other front-pagers. Also the "LEGO Other themes" doesn't look as popular as SW or City etc. - may be one day... :hmpf:

Once again - thank you very much for your attention. Cheers!

Huge , detailed, nice squary shape, interior detailed, awesome ^^

Truly an amazingly beautiful and detailed moc, you truly do deserve a front page for this, even though its in other lego themes! It is lovely and I looked at the pictures for at least five minutes just to see all the top details. Excellent job, and keep bricking! :thumbup: