Sign in to follow this  
Siegfried

Rock Monster Keyring Removal Procedure

To remove keyring, grasp firmly and pull! :tongue: You expected more? :sceptic: OK...

DSC04757es.JPG

First off, I've used this for over a year after TLG sent me a free one as part of my LEGO Club magazine. I got another free one as part of a spend over xxx amount offer so he's surplus!

DSC04761es.JPG

The key ( :grin: ) thing that I wanted to share is he's not glued. I thought he was from the start so the first thing I did was try to crack the "seal" as I was concerned that I'd break the head if it was fixed from the inside. But this achieved nothing but damaging the poor fellow as I found that the mouth did lift a bit, just enough to show me that he's moulded different to the regular figs. As you can see in the photo they've added an extra tube inside so they can use the normal pin and that's how they kept the mouth closed. :blush:

DSC04764es.JPG

The hole in the head is without glue as well. So all you need to do is pull/twist it out!

DSC04759es.JPG

So there you are. A "new" Rock Monster minifig ready for.... dunno. :sceptic: He needs some love eh? Anyone know what colour paint Dark Grey is? :tongue:

Thanks for this tutorial, Siegfried :thumbup: I'll add it to the Index.

LuxorV

Thanks for this review! :thumbup:

I recently got a Captain Rex keychain and did this. However, his helmet is stuck on his head. Is it glue? If so, does anyone know how to remove the glue from inside the helmet so I can use the head? Thanks.

I recently got a Captain Rex keychain and did this. However, his helmet is stuck on his head. Is it glue? If so, does anyone know how to remove the glue from inside the helmet so I can use the head? Thanks.
Yes it's glued, but I don't have any idea how to get rid of the glue. :cry_sad:

Thanks Siegfried! That was, well, really simple. Any reason the shark is in the first picture?

Any reason the shark is in the first picture?

He's the replacement! :wub:

If so, does anyone know how to remove the glue from inside the helmet so I can use the head?

Not safely. I've de-keyringed minfigs ones in the past, but I've never tried to remove the head from the hat/hair/helmet/hood. (All "H"! :tongue: )

He's the replacement! :wub:

Aaah, the cycle of life.

It's a shame these are so disposable. As collectibles, I've never really seen the point of keyrings since you can't use the LEGO ones without them getting scuffed quick smart.

That said, I have 2 Catwomen ones lying around in a cupboard if you want to 'fix' her :laugh:

That said, I have 2 Catwomen ones lying around in a cupboard if you want to 'fix' her :laugh:

Errr.... yes! :tongue:

It's a shame these are so disposable. As collectibles, I've never really seen the point of keyrings since you can't use the LEGO ones without them getting scuffed quick smart.

I'm not much of a collector, I just use things. Thus it's either a keyring or it becomes a mini-fig. :grin:

You have to give them back :tongue:

Cat's don't like being "fixed". I bet she'd scratch my eyes out. :sing:

So there you are. A "new" Rock Monster minifig ready for.... dunno. :sceptic: He needs some love eh? Anyone know what colour paint Dark Grey is? :tongue:

Oooh! That's a good idea! Make a real Rock Monster instead of these weird elemental things...

Thanks for showing us this procedure! I never knew about the tube for the rock monster; I just thought that there was an even larger than normal screw that extended all the way into the rock monster's feet! :tongue:

I've always hated how the "rock" printing scratches off so easily on the body of the rock monster. Stupid Made in Chinaâ„¢ printing! :hmpf_bad:

Siegfried, I've found Testors' "Flat Gray" to be an *almost* perfect match for LEGO dark bley. :classic:

So all you need to do is pull/twist it out!

Reminds me of the pigeons in Bolt. :laugh: "Twiiiiist, and pull!"

Hmmm...I didn't know it was this easy.

Thanks for sharing this intell with us SiegMeister.

Now where did I put my keyring-monster...?

Siegfried, I've found Testors' "Flat Gray" to be an *almost* perfect match for LEGO dark bley. :classic:

Thanks! I'll look for it. :sweet:

I have a question about those keyringfigures. Can you take them apart like normal figures? Or are there parts glued to the boddy?

I have a question about those keyringfigures. Can you take them apart like normal figures? Or are there parts glued to the boddy?

All the parts are glued, except for the arms (or droid legs for R2 units). However, that´s no big deal for this one, as the normal fig is one piece, too. :wink:

All the parts are glued, except for the arms (or droid legs for R2 units). However, that´s no big deal for this one, as the normal fig is one piece, too. :wink:

Thanks, for the answer. About the parts, I didn't only ment this one but your answer was clear. :classic:

Is it the same process for removing the keyring part on minifig keyrings?

Minifigure keyrings are usually glued (all of mine are, at least), but the arms, hands and legs (not hips) are all removable.

Has anyone successfully de-ringed Ahsoka? The headgear seems to be qute soft plastic, I am hesitant to use the candle flame technique in case it melts too quickly. The shape of the headgear makes it a bit tough to snap off the ring smoothly.

Thanks

Robuko

Has anyone successfully de-ringed Ahsoka? The headgear seems to be qute soft plastic, I am hesitant to use the candle flame technique in case it melts too quickly. The shape of the headgear makes it a bit tough to snap off the ring smoothly.

Thanks

Robuko

I don't have pics, but i've yanked the pin in my ahsoka, and she turned out all right. The horns are glued on though. I mangled the fin on Rex's helmet as well. If you take a thin bladed knife, you can sometimes cut the glue seal holding the hips on. You just have to be extremely careful. I wound up cutting ol Rex in half. :cry_sad: Fortunately, a quick head and arm swap onto a regular clone figure (and some superglue on the bisected clone) and they're both good as new! Just can't get Rex's helmet off.

The rest of my keyring minifigs have just had the rings snapped off, 2 Royal Guards, Chewie, Boba Fett and R2.