Anio

Venator Class Republic Attack Cruiser

Try a bit harder please : setechnic@gmail.com

I finally built this and wow! it was fun and challenging. I have to make minor modifications based on brick availability. The biggest challenge was the lower panels and the cost and availability of the magnet holders. I came up with some alternatives that worked well. Thanks for a great build. Wish you also did LOTR.

Congrats! Still love looking at mine on my entertainment center. I would be interested to know what your alternative to the magnet holders was. Definitely the most expensive part.

^ same here. Having built one I would love to see the alternative. It would save builders hundreds of dollars.

Hello everyone,

My Venator was finished a few months ago without using magnets to attach the bottom hull pieces.

The first set of holders was stolen influenced from Jeff McClain's build shown earlier in this thread. They attach to the bottom plate and then the keel in the center. There are two pairs for each hull plate (four total). (Click to see larger versions of the pictures)

th_Ven%20mag%20replace8.jpg

th_Ven%20mag%20replace9.jpg

th_Ven%20mag%20replace4.jpg

The other holders are made from five elements including a 2X2 turntable. The turntable allows the holder to pivot to attach to the hull plate and then to the technic frame. They can also be rotated around the technic pin with axle to pull the hull closer to the frame. There are three of these attached to outer edge of the frame on each side (six total).

th_Ven%20mag%20replace.jpg

th_Ven%20mag%20replace2.jpg

th_Ven%20mag%20replace3.jpg

The holders keep the hull very stable with no movement when the ship has been moved. They can also be placed in several places to keep the hull from sagging.

th_Ven%20mag%20replace5.jpg

th_Ven%20mag%20replace6.jpg

Hope this helps any of you contemplating building this fantastic MOC. They are a very cheap alternative to the magnet holders.

Edited by sandtrooper

@ sandtrooper: Ingenious method! I may decide to use this method to reinforce my build. Thanks for sharing!

Great stuff! You have just saved an unthinkable amount of money for quite a few builders!

Thanks. I didn't come up with the holders. Just sharing what was found earlier in this thread.

Just realized on the fifth picture, the turntable and 2X2 plate should go on top of the dark blu/gray brick rather than the way it is pictured. Turntables can also be used on the technic holders to better deal with the angle of the hull plates.

WoW, did he seriously print all of those? Well, there goes a lot of trees…

Moreoever, the guy is an as*.

He told me basically "I changed the cover, and did the plans myself, so they are not yours".

Typically the kind of person I can't stand.

Will do Anio, I hope he enjoys all the money he lost by printing thousands of pages.

Thank you a lot to everyone ! You help is really greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

The auctions are gone. Hope the guy won't post them again. :devil:

Hello everyone,

My Venator was finished a few months ago without using magnets to attach the bottom hull pieces.

The first set of holders was stolen influenced from Jeff McClain's build shown earlier in this thread. They attach to the bottom plate and then the keel in the center. There are two pairs for each hull plate (four total). (Click to see larger versions of the pictures)

[snip]

The other holders are made from five elements including a 2X2 turntable. The turntable allows the holder to pivot to attach to the hull plate and then to the technic frame. They can also be rotated around the technic pin with axle to pull the hull closer to the frame. There are three of these attached to outer edge of the frame on each side (six total).

[snip]

The holders keep the hull very stable with no movement when the ship has been moved. They can also be placed in several places to keep the hull from sagging.

[snip]

Hope this helps any of you contemplating building this fantastic MOC. They are a very cheap alternative to the magnet holders.

@sandtrooper - this truly is ingenious and thank you for providing the detailed pictures.

However, if you don't mind - you could post the part numbers and quantity of each? I have no idea what to search for in bricklink except for some of the easier pieces such as the turntable. Thank you in advance!

Edited by Brickdoctor
Please don't quote images.

Hello again,

The list for Bricklink parts are below. They are broken up into two lists for the different holders. Each list is for one holder. I used four of the Technic holders and six of the ball and socket holders in my build, so you will have to multiply the number of parts by how many holders you need.

th_Ven%20mag%20replace8.jpg

Technic holder

3707 Technic axle 8 (2 each)

32523 Technic 1 X 3 liftarm thick (1 each)

87083 Technic axle 4 with stop (1 each)

3713 Technic bush (2 each)

32013 Technic axle and pin connector (2 each)

4265c Technic bush 1/2 smooth (1 each)

42003 Technic axle and pin connector perpendicular 3L with two holes (1 each)

2476 Plate modified 2 x 2 with peg (1 each)

th_Ven%20mag%20replace.jpg

Ball and socket holder

3022 Plate 2 x 2 (1 each)

3680c02 Plate 2 x 2 with turntable (1 each)

57909 Technic brick modified 2 x 2 with ball (1 each)

32174 Technic axle connector 2 x 3 with ball socket (1 each)

43093 Technic pin with axle connector (1 each)

Hope this helps,

Pat

Edited by sandtrooper

have the magnets/ holders and basically messed my build up completely by trying to get them to work...still not together today!

this looks like a good solid solution!

I didn't have any issue with using them. They must not be perfectly in the right place.

Hello again,

The list for Bricklink parts are below. They are broken up into two lists for the different holders. Each list is for one holder. I used four of the Technic holders and six of the ball and socket holders in my build, so you will have to multiply the number of parts by how many holders you need.

--SNIP--

Hope this helps,

Pat

What parts of the original part list can be removed for those ? only the magnets or are there other removed pieces, too?