Sign in to follow this  
Alamai

WIP HMS Lusankya

hello everyone!

first i would like to apologice for my bad english.. i do not practise it very often, so i hope you understand everything i have to say ;)

i´d like to present you my new and realy first MOC.

i am an afol now for a long time but was only collecting lego sets, mainly star wars UCS sets, but a few pirate ships are in my collection, too ;) but since my childhood i never ever build something else with my bricks then the normal models in the instruction sheets.

i´ve been browsing through this site for a long time now, and after all, i decided to build a ship for my own. before i buy all this expensive parts through bricklink, i thought it will be a good idea to build it in mlcad first, so, here it is, the Lusankya (maybe placeholder name) :

whole ship:

lesalamais1.jpg

bow:

frontms.jpg

stern:

heckg.jpg

random mid piece to show my technic to make the hull round:

lesalamais4.jpg

bow piece (not yet finished):

lesalamais5.jpg

i used some technics, i saw browsing this forum, which i found intresting, but i modified most of them, to fit my needs.

the ship length is about 10 normal mid boat hull pieces + bow + stern. i had to enlarge the base width of them a lot, because i thought it looks better if its "fat" in the middle... i also tryied to make a little curve into the hull, but not as hard as many other ship builders in this forum did.

a inspiration for this build was this ship here, and i try to stay close to it:

royallewismv40.jpg

so, at the end, i have a few questions:

- how should i build the main figure at the bow? i have realy no idea, and a normal minifig or shark seems to be to little for this big ship...

- you see the blue bricks on the top decks? these should be this dark imperial blue , but couldnt find the colour in mlcad. question is, does it look good with this dark blue or should i try another color?

- how should i build the stern... ? i have a few ideas, but dont realy know how i should realize them. can someone give me some exapmle pictures, which might look good on this ship?

- the masts, including the one at the bow are placeholders... i do not realy know how i should build them. im thinking of the technic used in the new imperial flagship 10210 (which i allready posses 2 times ;P ), but just as twice as bid as in 10210. does it work for this length , if i build with technic pins inside the masts like in 10210 or is it to heavy? they are about 90 cm high in the end...

so, those are the questions for the beginning, i think i would have many more in the building process ;)

hope u like this modell, and give me good advice so i can bring it to a good end =)

alamais

Very nice. One of the most complete digital ships I have ever seen. It is going to look really good. I think the bow is just a little stuby you could probably make it at least a few studs longer.

Seems like there are a lot of new members interested in building ships lately. Must be something in the water.

Edited by Commodore Hornbricker

i want to build the complete lower part in mlcad first, then i buy the bricks and build this ship ;)

but these are now over 3000 pieces, and it is far from beeing complete... meaning it would be very expensive... =/ im just saving money to begin with the lower parts ;)

Well done! I like the round technique, although perhaps you could make use of Captain Green Hair's jumper plate technique to make the ship more of an egg shape looking from the top. I can't say I like the headrails though. I can't make a suggestio how to improve them, but play around with them until they look better. You should also mae the height of the foremast taller, but those are the only things. Looks very nice, and I look forward to following this project. The best of luck!

Oh, and it is far too big to be a frigate, this baby is a ship-of-the-line. I have updated the title accordingly. :pir-wink:

Great looking ship. I would however offset the gunports and put a little more detail on the headrails. I would also extend the beak. Other than that it is a really cool looking ship. :pir-classic:

Very nice work thus far.

A suggestion if I may- looks like your guns (cannons) are directly above each other on each deck in the photo- they should be staggered like they are on the model!

As for the masts- if you look around the forum you will find lots of "brick built" masts, in other words- masts that aren't prefabricated by Lego. maybe one of those designs would be best?

tanks for the positive feedback everyone!

Well done! I like the round technique, although perhaps you could make use of Captain Green Hair's jumper plate technique to make the ship more of an egg shape looking from the top.

i allready have a little bit of this "egg shape" in there, using greenhairs jumperplate technic ;) but i thought if i do it more than this it wouldnt look this impressive, so i decided to use it only a little bit, as u can see here:

fromtopu.jpg

Oh, and it is far too big to be a frigate, this baby is a ship-of-the-line. I have updated the title accordingly.

thank you, im not very common with the different ship classes ;)

A suggestion if I may- looks like your guns (cannons) are directly above each other on each deck in the photo- they should be staggered like they are on the model!

that is something i´ve allready planned for the final modell, it was just to difiicult to realize this in mlcad with my section build technic. =)

the masts and the upper decks (headrails? ) are just placeholders to get a feeling about how it should look like in the end. theres much work i have to do here, but at first id like to get the base hull on its way to plan the next steps. =) another thing on my to do list are much more details for the bow and the sides, too. in the middle of the ship there should be a ladder on each side but i dont realy know how to improve the bow... maybe i build it a liitle longer and with this a little bit more "spiky" (sry, dont know the correct english word for this ^^).

That is an epic build already, although it's not in real bricks, yet. :pir-wink:

I'm curious on how the stern will turn out, and it's cool to see you're basing her on a French ship! Welcome at the good side!

The tumblehome looks good, nice curves! :thumbup:

All the best with the build!

a short update:

i rebuild the complete bow so its looks longer and more realistic now, also updated upper decks and colour:

fullshot.jpg

lesalamais5.jpg

bowg.jpg

topviewhu.jpg

now im getting to stern.. a first version might be up later this day...

I really like how you are using brown masts. I hate the black ones but your brown masts are just perfect. I also like how you didn't make the ship too wide or too narrow. It is just perfect. Looking forward to seeing the completed model. :pir-classic:

heres the new update...

first version of the stern is completed. there are some parts i like, some parts i dislike... i couldnt take the shape of the whole ship for the stern cause of some problems with the hinges... so i decided to turn it this way... oh, and i adjusted the cannon ports on the whole ship ;)

here is an overview over the new stern:

sternoverview.jpg

fromback.jpg

fullview.jpg

i realy had problems with this part of the ship... the switch from the round form to the line of the stern was realy hard to master and i dont think, i managed it well =/

problemd.jpg

i wanted the round form of the shiphull to be continued and this "v-form" of the stern at the same time.. turned out, lego isnt designed to handle with 2 angles at the same time =( so i decided to hold only the "v-form" to complete the whole "egg-form" of the ship, and forgott about the round hull form for the stern

after all , i think if you look at the whole ship it seems ok and not as broken as i thought first...:

gesamtwirkung.jpg

what do u think of the result? =)

alamai

This looks very promising. I'm only not sure about the stern. I would make it either really round like some later battleships, 'flat' like the most ships.

So this:cable%20ship%20small.jpg

Or this: 120px-Valmy_mp3h9323.jpg

So for the round technique, the shape is already good but I would remove the side galleries and make the stern more round.

Or if you want the 'normal' technique I would make the stern wider as the hull. And make the side-galleries going more divergent instead of convergent.

Sometimes it's easier to build the difficult parts when you really have the bricks so maybe it's better to just order some bricks and design the stern later.

Anyway, good luck with it! For the rest I really like this ship. The view from the entire side looks very impressive :pir-classic:

Edited by Admiral Croissant

I was hoping this would be the Executor-Class Star Destroyer, of course, this ship still impresses me!

Nice job so far! I love the floors, and the whole build is very impressive. You must have had a lot of patience to do that all on the computer. Once your finished, it'll be time to start racking up and dishing out the mulah. :pir-tongue:

so, i did some recherche on the internet and in this forum, and i had some nice ideas, which i tryd to get into my modell...

watch out the new stern:

fullviewstern.jpg

fullviewo.jpg

i like it much more, than the previous version, pls comment it, so i can improve it any further =)

Hmmm.

The round shape looks cool, but I'm not sure if it goes with the rest of the ship. It's too modern I think.

Google the HMS Victory's stern to see what I mean. :pir-classic:

I'd suggest you to continue toying around with the stern. :pir-classic:

Also, please resize your pictures to 800x600, so members with a slow connection won't have trouble viewing your ship. :pir-wink:

Keep it up! :thumbup:

I really like it except the window galleries should stay the same width all of the way up. Other than that it looks really cool. Keep up the good building. :pir-classic:

thanks for the positive feedback and your tips for the stern =)

i reworked it another time and its getting near perfect now in my mind ;)

also added some details to the rest of the ship. and here it is:

newstern.jpg

unbenannthfk.jpg

unbenanntyv.jpg

and the full view, which looks realy impressing by now i think:

ewfs.jpg

i´d love to get more feedback about this baby =)

i know, its my first MOC, but it will be very expensive and so i want to make it perfect, before i do the bricklink order ;)

It's getting better and better :pir-classic:

But still, I think you should make the sidegalleries more round and the stern much larger, try 5 windows beside each other on both levels.

Keep it up, it's becoming a beauty!

It is starting to look amazing, I love it so far, but I agree the stern could maybe be a bit longer, however if you don't agree it also looks awesome as is :pir-laugh:

She is really a beaty already :pir-classic: I think at you wont need to make lot of work anymore, Keep it up :thumbup:

:jollyroger: Captain Becker :jollyroger:

so, after some time finally another update for my little baby )

i updatet the complete colourscheme. it looks like most of the bricks i want to use arent available in imperial dark blue, so i decided to change all of them to the normal blue. now the whole colourscheme looks more then the old 6271 imperial flagship from 1992 which is imho one of the most beautiful ships in lego history.

the only point in the colourscheme which i couldnt decide yet are the flags for the gunport. which looks better, have them black like the previous versions or blue like in this version?

and finally, i found a stern for me which looks great and is big enough to fit those massive ship...

so, take a look and tell me, what u think =)

ewfs.jpg

unbenannthfk.jpg

newstern.jpg

unbenanntiq.jpg

well, at least, when the stern is finished, i can start to work on the details for the upper decks... but first, tell me your thoughts about this ship now =)

Beatifull work Alamai :pir-classic: i cant say anything lse at thats just impressive work. You have done the back very nicely and those gunports are ice (But i liked them in black)

Keep it up :thumbup:

:jollyroger: Captain Becker :jollyroger:

Nice stern, I think you can start with the real thing now :thumbup:

And I prefer black gunports but that's quite personal (and I think most real ships had black ones too instead of blue).