Sign in to follow this  
Follows Closely

LDD and Rotating...

I have a MOC that I am attempting to design in LDD. I am having a hard time rotating the large portions. Here is my First floor:

lego001.png

see the remaining two rotation points?

lego002.png

I rotated two joints, but I can not rotate the remaining two joints. Is this possible in LDD?

Here is the CornerV3.lxf if anyone is interested.

P.S. Guess ho much this cost? (we need to have polls turned on!)

Use the rotate tool? If that hasn't worked then there is issue with its movement from the building. I found the new rotate tool very good and easy to use. However if I build a section wrong it won't rotate. The problem is you aren't holding the MOC so you don't know where the issue preventing rotation is.

Hi,

the problem is that often the rotation hinge in LDD is chosen from the program and not from you.

It's better to migrate your work to a more appropriate Lego application.

A good one could be SR 3D Builder. It has a lDraw/MLCad compatible part library (near 5000 parts) available in all colors.

You may need to read the manual to get clue with it, but it is really powerful

Sergio

(I'm the author of the program)

Hi,

the problem is that often the rotation hinge in LDD is chosen from the program and not from you.

A good one could be SR 3D Builder. It has a lDraw/MLCad compatible part library (near 5000 parts) available in all colors.

Sergio

The first rotate went just fine. It seams that you can not rotate a section that has a rotated angle already. About the colors, yeah, alll the light gray in my model are blocks that ldd did not have the right color for. Does your program have any integration with bricklink?

LDD is messed up in the way that the hinge tool only works only on some parts. I have this problem all the time, and usuallly, I just take it apart, rotate the hinges on their own, and then attach the parts back.

LDD is messed up in the way that the hinge tool only works only on some parts. I have this problem all the time, and usuallly, I just take it apart, rotate the hinges on their own, and then attach the parts back.

How do you rotate an entire object say 15%?

Hi,

Sergio

My virus scanner detected a trojan when i downloaded you're program (that was a week or 3 ago).

How do you rotate an entire object say 15%?

In the new LDD, the rotation tool is very precise, so I think you'll just have to guesstimate how much 15% is.

I opened your model and had a look at it. The first things I noticed was that the two wall segment to left and right of the door had bricks that were disconnected. Use the "Connected Selection Tool" and you will see what I mean. Secondly, I noticed there were no hinges in the model. So I added a few of these: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2429c01 in each corner. AFter that, it was no problem to rotate the walls in any way. See attached file. Please let me know how it works out.

CornerV3_update.zip

I opened your model and had a look at it. The first things I noticed was that the two wall segment to left and right of the door had bricks that were disconnected. Use the "Connected Selection Tool" and you will see what I mean. Secondly, I noticed there were no hinges in the model. So I added a few of these: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2429c01 in each corner. AFter that, it was no problem to rotate the walls in any way. See attached file. Please let me know how it works out.

Many thanks. It was the disconnectedness that was causing the problem.

lego003.png

Edited by Follows Closely

My virus scanner detected a trojan when i downloaded you're program (that was a week or 3 ago).

Hi,

that is not a troyan.

I simply put a hidden reference to an external link to let a Perl Script to count and make statistics around the visitors I get on my site

The hidden link refers to a ITLug stored documents that receive the hit and increments the counter.

That's all, believe it or not

Sergio

The first rotate went just fine. It seams that you can not rotate a section that has a rotated angle already. About the colors, yeah, alll the light gray in my model are blocks that ldd did not have the right color for. Does your program have any integration with bricklink?

Hi,

no integration with bricklink at the moment, maybe it the future...

Sergio

This is a LDD question as well.

How do you just use the turntable base without the studded part? Since they always come as separate parts in the kits, like the hinges do, shouldn't you be able to do this?

Edited by gotoAndLego

How do you just use the turntable base without the studded part? Since they always come as separate parts in the kits, like the hinges do, shouldn't you be able to do this?

The simple answer is (like you've discovered) that you can't use them separated in LDD. To understand which pieces can, and which cannot be used separately, we need to have a look at some Lego system logic. We have the following cases:

1) Parts that are joined from factory and cannot be dis-joined (example: steering wheel to base)

3829c01.png

2) Parts that are joined from factory and can be dis-joined (example: lever)

298c01.png

3) Parts that are not joined from factory, but are not meant to be separated once connected (example: turntable)

3680c01.png

All of the above type elements cannot be used as separate pieces in LDD, and the reason is that LDD quite strictly follows how bricks can handled by children (the basic norm at Lego), and thus how elements would be used in official Lego sets. I know that the turntable base was used in 10189 Taj Mahal, and therefore could be seen as "legal", but I guess that's the exception that confirms the rule.

3) Parts that are not joined from factory, but are not meant to be separated once connected (example: turntable)

3680c01.png

All of the above type elements cannot be used as separate pieces in LDD, and the reason is that LDD quite strictly follows how bricks can handled by children (the basic norm at Lego), and thus how elements would be used in official Lego sets. I know that the turntable base was used in 10189 Taj Mahal, and therefore could be seen as "legal", but I guess that's the exception that confirms the rule.

The base is also used alone on the V19 Torrent's wings, and I'm sure there are other models. I guess its just a limitation in LDD and not something I overlooked.

Edited by gotoAndLego

The base is also used alone on the V19 Torrent's wings, and I'm sure there are other models. I guess its just a limitation in LDD and not something I overlooked.

Yepp, in that sence it's a limitation in LDD.