Rate this set!  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion!

• Poor
    • Below average
    • Average
    • Above average
    • Outstanding

Well, for a fact known, Classic Castle sets such as the 6080 are indeed one of the beautiful castles for many reasons, and the standard that it have, comparing over the recent King's Castle Siege, is clearly 2 different categories in terms of its overall appearances. As one could said that the current Castle series offers more colours, playability and fun to your LEGO experience, but there are many few other factors that Classic Castle sets still commands, and that is the charm and beauty of it.

Primarily, I prefer the look of Classic Castles, similar to the King's Castle, Black Monarch Castle and Black Knights' Castle, which are evolving over the 1980s. What I want most, in terms of minifigs are the amount of generic solders, archers and knights provided in a castle set, to hold its defense, instead of having a few solders holding the castle. That's what the current castle sets are doing now.

I think the empty space inside this castle can be well used to fortify either more troops or add in some elements of your own. Personally, it's the kind of memories and design that really appeals to early Castle collectors. I don't have a chance to collect these sets, and I am also collecting current Castle series as well. Not saying which is better, but I really feel that those Castle sets in the 1980s will always have a place for these collectors including myself.

Comparing the pictures, to my eyes the King's Castle Siege still looks both sturdier and more filled than the old King's Castle. Those two castles are actually quite alike in their basic structure - they're both square-shaped, built on flat plates and use the same wall panels in the base. However, the new castle has more structural diversity (with the BURPs and rounded corners and different towers), more height, more colors, more details, more play features and more of just about everything except nostalgic value.

I'm not saying that you can't love the old castles for what they are, I personally just can't feel that same love for them as so many of you do. It might be because I never owned a large castle in my childhood (the Wolfpack tower was my largest castle set back then), but I firmly believe the new sets are a major improvement over the sets of the yonder years, no matter how many people call them "<insert that tiresome argument>" or "ugly".

I wouldn't call it <insert that tiresome argument>, except maybe the dragon :tongue:

One more thing I wanted to say however. Nostalgia certainly hits me too, but I don't think it's just that. When it comes to the Castle theme specifically there are very much two different "styles", the historical and the fantasy. Besides the minifigs and monsters, the fantasy style also affects the concept and structural design of sets. Fancy architectural features such as awkwardly positioned towers, flames or spikey things in general belong more to the fantasy style. But there are many AFOL who enjoy a vaguely realistic/historical style, and that actually means also more "boring" architecture that delivers a "grim & gritty" look. It also means soldiers with identical uniforms (at least when coming from rich, organized groups like in a King's Castle!). A lot of people like this kind of style, that's all, and old Castle sets were close to this more than the new ones. I actually like both styles for what matters...

I was 10 when this sat came out, and I dreamed of owning it. Just outstanding.

Thanks for an excellent review.

When I saw the review, almost immediately I knew I was going to write something about it.

This castle was my first LEGO set that I can truly remember in all its glory. I was eight years old and did well enough in the final year exams in school that year. That very same evening after I showed them the report, Mum and Dad went out and brought home a big wrapped-up box; I ripped it open, and almost immediately stared beyond the crushed wrapping paper in a moment of child wonderment. I remembered happy hours building and rebuilding the castle for the nth times, and it even had a spot in the small tv cabinet for guests to gawk at - a historic moment, really, since it was really a toy - my LEGO - on the same pedestal as other significant paraphernalia. I was very proud of my built, but more so because it was such a big, visible set with so many minifigures.

We moved houses a couple of times after that, and sadly the whole thing could have been thrashed out amidst other black bags of unwantedness. Thanks to this surprise of a review, I am going to scout around for this set, and hopefully relive those happy memories with another eight year-old kid this time around - my son.

:)

Eurobricks always make my day.

Edited by kinjai

Thank you 'Def' for this review of Kings Castle (ah they don't make 'em like they use to). :sweet:

From my point of view - YEAH - very playable and it looks like a real castle - of course Legoised ! :sweet::grin::laugh:

Wish I had one of these sets, aw well we all can dream. :sweet:

I got 2 of these that Christmas! One from grandparents and one from my parents. I still remember the look on my grandpa's face as I opened my parents present first. A very shocked and confused look came over his face and then about 5 minutes later I realized why. It was one of the best Christmas' ever! About equal to the year I got the Woodsmen Hideout. :cry_happy:

About the discussion of the details on the set...

I have been primarily a Star Wars Lego guy, and in that series, I tend to divide the series between pre-2005 (or so) and post-2005 (or so). In that time, the sets made a massive jump in quality (ie. 2002 Slave and 2006 Slave). I don't have any Castle sets between 1984 and 2007, so I'm not one to speak as an authority, but this set, with the detailed front gate, amazing figures, and opening courtyard, seems very competitive to other Castle sets. The King's Castle/King's Castle Siege comparison seems like a Mickey Mantle/Sammy Sosa comparison.

Well, to each their own. I liked the King's Castle Siege, but I dismantled it for parts.

When I was around 5 years old I came into lego by these line of castle. I didn't get this great set, but I got much nice little sets from this line and even the smaller castle with the black falcons. When I got out of my dark age. I build and rebuild this smaller castle and smaller buildings like the smitty and the inn to a bigger castle. I liked the fact that it had many castle wall panels, but also the great amount of smaller basic pieces.

When I got out of my dark ages, it was the time of Knights Kingdom 1 and there were some nice little special sets with figs in it in the shops, but the only castle building was to much <insert that tiresome argument> for me.

The second wave of Knights Kingdom (KK2) was even more horrible with the mighty morphing power knights and some almost 4juniors castle buildings (citadel of Orlan, great Castle). I only bought some smaller special sets with little buildings, mostly for the new light grey and new dark grey bricks, because it was pointless to collect new old grey bricks from 2004.

After the last wave of KK2 was a bit better (one set of 40 euro with 11! figs and quite some good wall) we got the great castle line of 2007.

Ofcouse, the dead armies were nice for fantasy setting, but even without them I found the Crownies and their castle already so much better. The castle had the old castle walls instead of the horrible duplo KK2 walls, had a nice amount of basic bricks and remind me most of the castles made between 1984 and 1995.

I found it the best castle after 10 years.

If they remade this set in new light and dark grey I would buy it. :thumbup::classic:

Wow this is amazing. I wish they had more sets like these. With the base plates, tons of minifigs, and bricks. The newer ones have all these newfangled specialized pieces.

I had the yellow castle first, and I was always disappointed that the walls were turned into single pieces. It just reduced what you could make from the parts.

Nice review of this castle I also own.

The castle can be opened at the back because you could add other buildings to is to make the castle larger.

I had the blacksmith and the extra wall part (don't know the box number) to make the castle bigger at the back. I also added self build stabbles.

Good detail review of a classic. This was my favourite castle from the eighties and it made a great castle wall. As I had most of the pieces from the vintage castle (375 I think) I used them to make a yellow keep. With a few roof titles a small market place could be made. With ducks and chickens made from upside down title pieces. Now all these years later I still like this castle alot. I think the 2007 castle is one of the first in the last seven to ten years to be built to the same level. Most new sets don't introduce as many new pieces as was introduced in this set which makes it pretty special.

Anyway great review, lets hope the 2010 castle is even better than previous years. Lets hope the new dragon and lions will keep going for a couple of years.

:classic:

My partner had this set as a child and she recently dug it out of her attic for me to wash and rebuild... now it stands proudly on the coffee table in our living room, looking fantastic. :thumbup: Some of the studs in the baseplates are worn right through, when i asked my partner about this, she said that she and her sister used to corral thier pet mice in the castle courtyard and they would nibble on the plastic. I guess that's playability for you! :laugh:

Anyway, great review! I love this set, definitly puts the "class" in classic for me. :grin:

...when i asked my partner about this, she said that she and her sister used to corral thier pet mice in the castle courtyard and they would nibble on the plastic. I guess that's playability for you! :laugh:

That is just awesome on so many levels. :thumbup:

I had this set as a kid and I loved it, I think it was my only castle beside the older yellow castle. Considering this was designed in the 80s, for me it deserves the top grade!

I remember however, that I always had problems with the portcullis, it was getting stuck very often. But it's very possible that I wasn't building it properly at that age :tongue:

*Sigh*

I just saw this and read it, and now I'm feeling very nostalgic.

Those archer helmets are absolutely adorable. Why, oh why, did LEGO have to take them out of production and replace them with those comparatively ugly wide-brimmed helmets? :cry_sad:

Man, I wish our castles nowadays came with as many figures and horses :sceptic:

Man, I wish our castles nowadays came with as many figures and horses :sceptic:

Some 15 years have passed since the last set with 3 horses. Let alone 4. Hmh. The waiting continues, I guess...

Just got 2: one at 70€ and the other one (with printed instructions) 60€. Minifigs and panels with great printings.

I now have 3 of these and a 6081 is ont it's way :)