Well, you can guess what I'm going to ask by the title. Is there? I may sound like I'm new to Eurobricks, and hey, I am.

If you can answer me right now, I don't know how to upload pictures onto my signature without having to give a URL (which it doesn't have). Also, I can't copy or paste into it and cannot Browse through my files for one. So, how do I do it?!

Edited by Adam

Well, you can guess what I'm going to ask by the title. Is there? I may sound like I'm new to Eurobricks, and hey, I am.

If you can answer me right now, I don't know how to upload pictures onto my signature without having to give a URL (which it doesn't have). Also, I can't copy or paste into it and cannot Browse through my files for one. So, how do I do it?!

Open a brickshelf account :laugh:

That makes it a lot easier because you can post pics off your computer

and then the pics have their own URL on the brickshelf website! Easy!

Open a brickshelf account :laugh:

That makes it a lot easier because you can post pics off your computer

and then the pics have their own URL on the brickshelf website! Easy!

Thanks! But just in case, any other options for me?

Thanks! But just in case, any other options for me?

The only way to get a pic in your sig is to link to it. You can't upload a pic to it. In lieu of an FAQ, check out this handy tutorials index.

Yeah, I got a Brickshelf, *sniff* did exactly what you all said and... *sniff* *snuffle*

I didn't work :sing::cry_sad: ! It said I couldn't use tags or something, so whenever I copy and paste the jpg, it says that I can't. Help!

Have you actually uploaded the pics to brickshelf or did you just create an account?

Yeah, I uploaded the pics. I'd click on one, highlight the text above the picture, copy it, paste it into the URL pic box, and click OK. It didn't work.

Yeah, I uploaded the pics. I'd click on one, highlight the text above the picture, copy it, paste it into the URL pic box, and click OK. It didn't work.

Paste the link in this topic you are attempting to use. You need to click on the picture until the text above it (otherwise know as the URL) end with the extension .jpg (or .gif or .png or whatever type of media file you use). Did you read the tutorials in the index I posted??

I want to change it to have links to my (rather empty) youtube and blog pages. But if that's like unsolicited advertisement or something(as in against the rules), then I won't do so. I want to make sure if I am allowed to link to those sites before doing it.

I want to change it to have links to my (rather empty) youtube and blog pages. But if that's like unsolicited advertisement or something(as in against the rules), then I won't do so. I want to make sure if I am allowed to link to those sites before doing it.

I don't think you would be allowed to if it does'nt have anything to do with Legos. If you are allowed to annd are going to, I have no clue how you would do so anyways. You would probably have to add a picture link in you signature. That's all I can think of.

Links are allowed within reason. If the links are not relevant to LEGO we might ask you to remove them, but it's all handled on a case by case basis, and the guidelines don't expressibly forbid it.

Like a lot of things here, everything is taken on a holistic basis, that is if you're a good member then we tolerate more. Are you a good member? I think you're better than average so go for it! :laugh:

Personally I don't like to advertise my sites in my signature as I see it as bad form, but I can be annoying like that so there's no need to follow my example. :blush:

Just from my personal experiences here, I have aseen a few people with youtube links in their sigs.

Okay I added it in, if the staff deem one or both links against the rules, let me know and I will remove the offending link(s). For my youtube the first three videos were super short (like 3 seconds long) Lego stop motion videos. I hope to make more longer and complicated videos soon.

EDIT: Well I just made a new post on my blog and its Lego centric. I think I will end up making Lego centric posts on the blog despite its title sounding unrelated to Lego. Now to start making some new videos.

Edited by lego40k

Okay I added it in, if the staff deem one or both links against the rules, let me know and I will remove the offending link(s). For my youtube the first three videos were super short (like 3 seconds long) Lego stop motion videos. I hope to make more longer and complicated videos soon.

See now that seems like a perfect reason to have youtube in your sig, if most of your content is LEGO related.

I ahve my flickr link in my sig, when my sig comes back from hibernation and probably 95% or more of my pictures are from LEGO reviews, so I think it's appropriate.

I am wondering why my signature has been removed. I have read this:

Signatures: As a rough rule, you may use up to four pictures each with a maximum pixel height of 300, a file size of 250k and no more than 200 words. If your sig is bigger than your average post, it can confuse someone reading a thread and you may be asked to reduce it, or a staff member may do it for you. Some exceptions may be made on a case by case basis, but please try to limit the space you use. Font size should be kept to a minimum: ideally no bigger than size 3.

This is the image I am referring to:

sigfigoority-1.png

I am wondering why it has been removed because:

1. The max for signature height is 300, yet this image is 109 pixels tall.

2. The maximum size is 250 kilobytes yet this image is 56.2 kilobytes large.

3. A moderator messaged me and said the maximum length for signature images is 640 pixels. This image is exactly 640 pixels wide.

:wacko: ?

But it's not even against the rules? :sadnew:

Actually it is. Here's Sieggy's free tip of the day; look more at the intent of a rule (law) than the exact wording. You might be interested to know that while I for the most part wrote that, the staff has tried to improve it, and it's hard. Even if you give exact rules people will always find a way around it, making you add and tweak... until it ends up so long that you need a lawyer to understand it. For this reason even after much discussion that part has remained much the same.

Getting back to the intent, the key lines are "If your sig is bigger than your average post, it can confuse someone reading a thread" and "please try to limit the space you use". In other words, try to be subtle and don't be bigger that you need to be. You may not be aware, but your sig plus the other aspects of the site (such as avatars, scrollbars, borders...) was wider than many screens. But most of all, you can hardly say that...

sigfigoority-1.png

... is limiting the space you use. We know your name, so why does it need to be in your sig... and why so big? It'd still be readable at 25% that size! To be honest it's been annoying me as well.

Note also that we do say from it's a "rough rule".

I'll re-open this in case you want to make a reply... but the decision already has been made. I'm just trying to help you see things from our point of view.

Actually it is. Here's Sieggy's free tip of the day; look more at the intent of a rule (law) than the exact wording. You might be interested to know that while I for the most part wrote that, the staff has tried to improve it, and it's hard. Even if you give exact rules people will always find a way around it, making you add and tweak... until it ends up so long that you need a lawyer to understand it. For this reason even after much discussion that part has remained much the same.

It's like to the age issue. It's much better to leave a little discretion to the staff and as Siegfried said, tightening rules generally does not give you what you were looking for in the first place, because there would always be someone who would think of an insanely annoying signature that would just comply with the rules. Many signatures on EB probably don't strictly comply with the 'rules', but are less disruptive than what you had as a signature. And usually it doesn't hurt to take the staff's advice, they generally know what they're doing... :grin:

To end all confusion/annoyance, I took lowering its size in my own hands. :wink:

Hows this?

legolinerpilot.png

Smaller.. I think?

Edited by Ryan_T

To end all confusion/annoyance, I took lowering its size in my own hands. :wink:

Hows this?

legolinerpilot.png

Smaller.. I think?

The problem with that image is that it is squished vertically. I admire your effort, though. :tongue::thumbup:

The problem with that image is that it is squished vertically. I admire your effort, though. :tongue::thumbup:

Yea... <.< I meant to do that.. :look: Sized it a bit wrong. :grin: