Is part of the reason why it is annoying to you is that "Pilot" is in capitals?

If you don't mind me asking, why did you want such a gigantic picture with your name on it in your sig in the first place?

So, can we assume other users with large or distracting sigs will be asked to alter theirs? ie (from a random thread): computerbug, Peppermint_M, legolooney

Even if they are, "not so much rules as...guidelines" there does need to be some sort of consistency in their application. :)

So, can we assume other users with large or distracting sigs will be asked to alter theirs? ie (from a random thread): computerbug, Peppermint_M, legolooney

Even if they are, "not so much rules as...guidelines" there does need to be some sort of consistency in their application. :)

Their signatures are both smaller and they are(in my opinion) much less distracting. However I also agree that their should be consistency among the staff on these matters.

:yoda:

Edited by plokoon512

It does noone any good to point fingers at other members in this thread.

As an EB member, you can control your own actions and behaviour, not that of anyone else, and that's all that we as the staff ask you to be responsible for. Concentrate on that and use the 'REPORT' button if you have a problem with another member - that's what it's there for.

Pointing fingers and saying 'But his or hers is worse!' is a childish response, and the site guidelines emphasise that members should act maturely :wink:

Is part of the reason why it is annoying to you is that "Pilot" is in capitals?

Errr... no. Why would that be a factor?

I agree, but at this time we have 7852 members and I don't get around to checking everyone's signature regularly.

Ever so sorry if my signature was causing alarm or distress *dark look*

I have altered it as I was a little bored of using Electric Light Orchestra's Prelude to Time as my signature. Plus I have tidied it up a little. I think the character image breaks up my post text and my signature text quite nicely. Of course as soon as the game ends the picture will go. Who knows what I will quote next time. (Kudos to anyone who know the source of my current sig quote).

I think signatures are always a delicate subject on boards the internet over, as everyone has a different idea about what should and shouldn't occur. Eurobricks sits in a nice spot with it's rules and everyone seem's to do their best in obeying the rules.

I have altered it as I was a little bored of using Electric Light Orchestra's Prelude to Time as my signature. Plus I have tidied it up a little. I think the character image breaks up my post text and my signature text quite nicely. Of course as soon as the game ends the picture will go. Who knows what I will quote next time. (Kudos to anyone who know the source of my current sig quote).

I think signatures are always a delicate subject on boards the internet over, as everyone has a different idea about what should and shouldn't occur. Eurobricks sits in a nice spot with it's rules and everyone seem's to do their best in obeying the rules.

I didn't think anything was wrong with it. Text loads instantly, it's gigantic pictures that bog down the site and look out of place. IMO. :classic:

Sort of so thanks. In a lot of cases large signatures are ignored in the hope members will change them without prompting. I personally normally take action when a sig that was big just keeps getting bigger! :tongue:

(Kudos to anyone who know the source of my current sig quote).

Sandman: Preludes & Nocturnes

Do I get Kudos?

I didn't think anything was wrong with it. Text loads instantly, it's gigantic pictures that bog down the site and look out of place. IMO. :classic:

To me it isn't just the loading issue, it's also the space taken as it means people have to scroll more.

Sort of so thanks. In a lot of cases large signatures are ignored in the hope members will change them without prompting. I personally normally take action when a sig that was big just keeps getting bigger! :tongue:

Sandman: Preludes & Nocturnes

Do I get Kudos?

Sorry, the character pic really threw it off when I added it, I just never got around to changing it.

Lots of Kudos for you my good walrus. I love the Sandman books and more comic book quotes will be popping up in the near future.

It's worth noting that EB is a lot more lenient on this issue than many other forums I've seen. Signature images aren't allowed at all on two other forums I go to, and for good reason in my opinion. On a Lego forum like this it makes more sense to allow them, as it's nice to see the various MOCs that people have built, although at the same time they shouldn't be making the posts significantly larger in terms of vertical space.

..., although at the same time they shouldn't be making the posts significantly larger in terms of vertical space.

That would bring me to the idea to create signatures that are horizontally stretched rather than vertically.

For example if you reviewed 9 sets, why not put them next to each other instead of putting them on top of each other?

Got it, Big Cam? :wink:

This is of course just one example (sorry BC for just mentioning you, but you even posted in this thread).

In my opinion every member creating bigger sigs should hold his breath for a moment and think about posting wider sigs instead of taller ones. And think of the necessary height as well. We don't need to see all the variety when it comes to the use of photos in a sig. Just post a thumbnail and a link within it.

And I'm not even talking about animated sigs... :hmpf_bad:

That would bring me to the idea to create signatures that are horizontally stretched rather than vertically.

I think I was the one who started that on EB... or so my Ego thinks anyway! :grin: I cheated with mine as I wrote a program that cycles my signature images...

We've considered flat out banning those, but instead we went for the 250k maximum size option. the really annoying ones we still delete though! :tongue:

One of the few things I don't like about EB are the images in signatures. Even though there are restrictions, in some threads there seem to be more signatures than actual information and I find them terribly distracting. Perhaps it's because when I started participating internet discussions I was using usenet on a Unix machine :alien:

I understand that people want to individualise the appearance of their messages, but there's already the option of selecting a picture that goes to the left of it. I think those are much more useful than any signature, because it really helps me to remember who I'm dealing with and. I'm much better at recognising pictures than names. A small bit of text in an unobtrusive colour and a link to where I can find whatever a poster is up to with their LEGO is sufficient as a signature as far as I am concerned -which is of course exactly why that is what I have in my own. I can live with thumbnails of your latest MOCs.

Fortunately I found that I can select an option to not see signatures at all :thumbup: .

Cheers,

Ralph

I personally normally take action when a sig that was big just keeps getting bigger! :tongue:

So was it okay for me to have thumbs of each mafia/ mystery game character? I didn't think it was too big, but I took it off anyway. The sig was about six 100x100 thumbs in a row...

In a lot of cases large signatures are ignored in the hope members will change them without prompting. I personally normally take action when a sig that was big just keeps getting bigger! :tongue:
I'm probably one of those with a large signature, so I'll comment...

I'm sorry if anyone found my signature to be oversized or too colorful, so I've taken out all the stuff in my wishlist from the first half of 2009. I plan on removing the wishlist completely along with the two userbars ("LEGO Star Wars fan" and "Star Wars: The Clone Wars fan") and the latest review text and replacing it with some thumbnails of my reviews once my third RA review passes. :classic:

Edited by ILikePi

I never really understood the point of a wishlist in your sig. I guess that's just me though.

I never really understood the point of a wishlist in your sig. I guess that's just me though.
I actually just use mine to keep track of what I plan on getting, and less for others to see what I plan on getting. :grin:

I actually just use mine to keep track of what I plan on getting, and less for others to see what I plan on getting. :grin:

You could put the list in your notepad then (in the "my Controls" section), instead of your signature.

:sceptic: Have you considered using this?

You could put the list in your notepad then (in the "my Controls" section), instead of your signature.

Yeah, that would make sense too. I've never seen the point in a wish list.

I have a Word-file for my wishlist, as well as a list of wanted sets in Brickset. Easy breezy! :wink:

For example if you reviewed 9 sets, why not put them next to each other instead of putting them on top of each other?

Got it, Big Cam? :wink:

This is of course just one example (sorry BC for just mentioning you, but you even posted in this thread).

In my opinion every member creating bigger sigs should hold his breath for a moment and think about posting wider sigs instead of taller ones. And think of the necessary height as well. We don't need to see all the variety when it comes to the use of photos in a sig. Just post a thumbnail and a link within it.

I had mine horizontal for a while, i changed it just for the sake of changing it, but being that I don't want to be an offender, I'll make it horizontal again.

I have a Word-file for my wishlist, as well as a list of wanted sets in Brickset. Easy breezy! :wink:

Same here. Works perfectly fine! :wink:

Sorry for the off-topic there.

Now then, talking about signatures - is it just me or is this whole Jamie Berard appreciation thing starting to get out of hand :grin:

My signature just keeps getting bigger and bigger as I do more reviews. I might have to start selectively removing my worst reviews to keep things in check.