Sign in to follow this  
legotrainfan

Defect 9V switch

traintech1.jpg

I had a track route like this as part of my layout, and it was not working properly:

switch --------------------------- track ------------------------ switch

2nd switch exit ---------------parallel track ------------------ 2nd switch exit

I didn't have a problem with all such track routes like that, only one. Though the switches were set correctly, two trains started moving. I also observed this with two trains which were both on two different dead end shunting rails moved. A second switch may be affected. Here again the switch was set correctly. I was very irritated, but just today I read a topic about that problem over at 1000steine.de. There was a user describing the same problem. First, other users suggested a short circuit, which he ruled out, and I can also rule it out. Unfortunately, no user of 1000steine.de could come up with a good solution to the problem. Now I'm asking you guys: Have you made any experiences with defect 9V switches? If yes, what causes this problem and can you repair it? I'd be very happy and grateful to hear some good advice!

Edited by TheBrickster

No ideas? No advice? :cry_sad: That's a pity. I was hoping for the ultimate solution to this problem. :sceptic: I hope that sooner or later someone will post here. Come on, guys, don't let me down!

Edited by legotrainfan

From the sounds of it, your saying you have two ovals, connected with two crossovers.

_____/_________\______

And from what your saying, both are independantly controlled (i.e. one controller per track), and that when you change one set of points to enable a train to cross, it causes a fault of some sort and the controller cuts out?

From what I can gather, the problem is either caused by setting both the controllers simultaniously (i.e. creating an uneven feedback causing the controller to short) or that the actual switch itself is defective, causing both the rails to momentarily join causing a short.

From the sounds of it, your saying you have two ovals, connected with two crossovers.

_____/_________\______

And from what your saying, both are independantly controlled (i.e. one controller per track), and that when you change one set of points to enable a train to cross, it causes a fault of some sort and the controller cuts out?

From what I can gather, the problem is either caused by setting both the controllers simultaniously (i.e. creating an uneven feedback causing the controller to short) or that the actual switch itself is defective, causing both the rails to momentarily join causing a short.

No, I don't have two ovals connected with switches. What I have as part of my layouts are track constructions like these (Click here). Though both switches are set correctly, both trains on the parallel tracks between the switches move forward.

But thanks for trying to help!

Hmm. The only solution I can see is that they are behaving like Flieschmann Points. In this case, both exits are electrically linked to each other (thus power is always fed to the other track one by the live track.

Therefore, the only solution, as far as I can acertain, is to dissassemble them and modify. As I don't have Lego 9V points, I cannot tell you any more.

Hmm. The only solution I can see is that they are behaving like Flieschmann Points. In this case, both exits are electrically linked to each other (thus power is always fed to the other track one by the live track.

Therefore, the only solution, as far as I can acertain, is to dissassemble them and modify. As I don't have Lego 9V points, I cannot tell you any more.

I have no idea how to disassemble them. However, I think I'll check my layout once again, so I can really sure it's not a problem that was produced through the layout itself. But I strongly feel that I have got one or two malfunctioning switches. Thanks, Matt, for trying to help me.

I have a few switches that either don't conduct electricity at all, or conduct not so well. I fixed them

by adding wiring underneath. Also, some switches that haven't been used in a long time don't

conduct electricity until I move the lever back and forth a number of times.

But I've never seen a switch that sends the power to the wrong siding.