Sign in to follow this  
Ingmar

MOC : Pirate Ship Charon

dsc_2340.jpg

dsc_2339.jpg

dsc_2344.jpg

dsc_2342.jpg

Note the superficy of the main sail, cut in an old black tee-shirt.

dsc_2343.jpg

Each broadside is are made to care six canons on two rows.

dsc_2350.jpg

dsc_2357.jpg

Skull and bow canons complete the menacing shape of the ship.

dsc_2345.jpg

The use of official military flags is one of the stratagemes used by my pirates in order to get closer to the ships they're hunting.

dsc_2347.jpg

When as near as possible, Tony Oil-Spitter just have to blow on the torch in order to throw a destructive fire that can burn the hull, masts and crewmen of the target, so that the boarding is just an additionnal task ; this strategy is inspired by the fire-ships. During the battles, fire-ships were thrown to a man-o-war in order to neutralize it as fast as possible, and even if it just consisted in an old downgraded ship put in fire and pushed by the wind, it was one of the most feared weapons, because it was, obviously, able to transmit a devastating fire to every wooden ship.

dsc_2354.jpg

The captain of the ship, Sir Surscout, is a renegade corsair decided to obtain a ransom thanks to his last hostage, the Empire Princess, captured on the last ship he sunk.

dsc_2355.jpg

Captain Brickbeard was downgraded to a pilote job, but his alliance with Surscout seems to hide something unusual since he uses to be a solitary sea-hunter.

dsc_2358.jpg

The main mast is very high for the shortness of the hull, as a consequence, the stability of the ship can be endangered.

dsc_2360.jpg

Captain Brickbeard, Sir Surscout and Princess Adelie, wish you were not disappointed by the exposition of the Charon. Anyway, they don't accept any visits onboard.

Edited by Slyowlius the Beatable

Nice Work. Looks very good. :pir-skull:

I have a question about your "Sir Surscout Figure" on your last picture.

Is this the right name for that figure? I like his face but i cant find this figure on ebay, goole, ...

ARRR!

Edited by Capt. Brickbeard

Very nice ship! Great work on the sails and rigging.

As a pirate I would be very pleased with this ship, it looks very fast and light :pir-classic:

It might have a bit too many cannons because there doesn't seem to be much space for other things than cannons on the deck.

I think you could remove a few cannons, as pirates preferred boarding other ships (but if you like the cannons, keep them :pir-wink: )

I like sails that are almost out of proportion, so I have to like this ship as well :pir-sweet:

One question: what are al those flames for?

Anyway, good job :thumbup:

your ship looks good, very much a small pirate or privateer vessel.

it just your sail's are very very big. when you ad 2 more midsections it would look much better and more in proportion.

but that is just my humble opinion.

claus

Thanks for your feedback, feel free to comment every thing.

I have a question about your "Sir Surscout Figure" on your last picture.

Is this the right name for that figure? I like his face but i cant find this figure on ebay, goole, ...

It is a minifig I have invented by myself, there is nothing surprising if you don't find it anywhere ^^ The face is taken from an historic theme, I don't remember if it is from a medieval or chinese set.

One question: what are al those flames for?

The flames are supposed to be thrown to the boarded ship, but instead of being an ordinary fire ship, mine includes several torches that can be blasted away by a fire-eater. But I also imagine that it is a way to create a large blazing reflection on the water, that could be dreadful for the other sailors.

when you ad 2 more midsections it would look much better and more in proportion.

but that is just my humble opinion.

I agree with you and I would have been able to build a brig, but I just had one half-section for this hull, and I thought it was interesting to create a wonderful and unrealistic ship based on the disproportion between the boat and the sail. But I was also inspired by wooden model of a corsair sea cutter that has the same rigging.

Great MOC. The rigging in great. Like some of the others I think she has too many guns, too large/ too many sails and not a lot of room, but if it is operating close to the coast and near a base it wouldn't need lots of space. Other than the critiques made above I really like this ship. The sail types are great and your rigging is wonderful.

Cheers.