lisqr

How to store LEGO boxes

I keep boxes, not flat, with the bags the set came in :blush: I plane to line them somewhere in the house (probably the attic) I keep them around should I ever decide to resell my collection. :classic:

I dont keep the boxes,they take up way too much space.Well,you could only focus on the rare sets I guess like the lego exculsives that don`t usually make it to retail shelves and the big sets that are only around for a short time,cause of there cost,most little kids its marketed to will likely only get one for their birthday or christmas so the value genrally increases over time.But the common sets I would just open and sort.

But if I did keep the boxes I`d carefully open them and then flatten em and put them into similar sized boxes so the colors won`t fade and they stay crisp for years.

I eat the boxes. I'm not lying! :laugh:

I store smaller boxes in the bigger ones and no, i don't throw them away. Even the box is something valuable to me. I don't plan on selling them. I throw away the bags.

Before my dark age I threw all the boxes and instructions away.

I still regret this until this day. :cry_sad:

So after my dark age I kept the box of every single set.

The artwork is great on most of these boxes.

On a side note, as far as bags are concerned, clear or numbered bags are generally trash (some late-90s City sets had bags for individual vehicles containing pictures-- not sure what I'd do with that sort of thing today). Even polybags from sets generally get trashed. The exception is with Brickmaster sets-- since they conveniently fit inside one of the cardboard boxes that Brickmaster magazines were at one point shipped in, I have a growing stack of polybags inside one of those boxes. Also, I haven't thrown out any of my collectible minifigure bags, even though I really should (keeping one of each for posterity isn't a problem, but keeping them all is overkill).

I wasn't allowed to keep the boxes when I was a child, because they would've taken up too much space (I had a small room!) - but we used to cut the boxes up so we had pictures of the alternative builds available for us to refer to, and I keep those with my instruction books.

Aanchir,I do the same thing!With the leaflets as well!(the minifigs,I am not subscribed to brickmaster!)

Edited by krystalKING

I throw the small abd medium boxes away, and try to keep the large ones,. Why? Well because they can be used to storing different things so the large ones are more useful for me than the small ones. Although, i have saved Kindoms Wizard box and the new 2011 V-Wings and Citys 7239`s box, i dont know why. :laugh:

So ill probably try to keep it that way, but im pretty sure im gonna throw the boxes away some time when they start to break up, or just dont feel like at keeping them. Or then i just start to keep all the boxes and cant get in in my home soon :laugh:

Captain Becker

I keep all the boxs as i think they are the special part of a set as the bricks can be got from any other set there size is a problem as my wife has made a point of but just carnt bring myself to bin them.

I have been saving boxes from some of the more expensive sets that I have purchased over the last 8 years. It’s time to find a way to store these boxes efficiently and also preserve the boxes from further damage. I’d like to hear some examples of how folks are doing that.

Yes, careful flattening means you can then put the boxes in places where you'd never thought to store them, like behind a bookshelf or wardrobe. If dust and potential light damage give you concern, you can bag them up in black bin-liners (Labels are your friend to avoid trash risk!) and then slot them away.

I am brutal, so I just recycle the card nearly instantly.

Hi, I find myself in a difficult situation, I love my lego collection and the boxes that they come in but I now find myself trying to find space for these empty boxes and more recently I have been flating my least favourite ones but am still finding it hard to find space. I am now to the point were I don't know weather to just get rid of all the empty boxes to free up more room for my sets or to keep the boxes and flatten them all. Any thoughts on this would be a real big help.

Cheers

Edited by Garno92

As much as I enjoy the artwork on the boxes, I just do not have room. Storing built, unbuilt sets and parts is more of a priority for me. I have began to think that I will keep the boxes until the set is completely built. Then if the build was more enjoyable than others I will keep the box to store the set in so it will be all together for when I want to rebuild it. For sets that I am sure I will not want to rebuild, I will just put the parts in my inventory.

Andy D

For me, if I feel the set has some collectible/long-term value and the box was sealed with stickers (not glued), I'll flatten and keep the box. Most of the glued boxes are small sets or commodity sets (like generic Town stuff) that I don't think 1) will be in-demand later or 2) be missed by me down the road. :) The flattened boxes don't take up too much space, but as that stack grows I'll probably need to look at thinning it out... :cry_sad:

If you are storing the boxes just for storing sake and not actually doing anything with them then I would toss them if you want to sell further down the line then the box in good condition could help to increase your price and if you like the artwork and want to look at them then cut out and maybe frame the ones you like.

To me, i consider the box as a part of the set and i feel difficult to get rid of them. Indeed they need a space, but i have already made a space for them...

Boxes are nice with their design and look :-)

Edited by VintageLegoEra

Cheers for the advice, gone with the flatten option, got more room now for sets

Edited by Garno92