Sign in to follow this  
Caramon352

Emerald Night Express

traintech1.jpg

Hi community,

I have a question concerning the LEGO EMERALD NIGHT EXPRESS. My son got that train at Xmas. He's really happy about that... BUT he wants to have those power functions. I looked for them at the LEGO shop, but that's a very expensive thing. It would cost about 110€. The rechargeable battery box is the most expensive thing... could that be replaced with the normal battery box. That would lower the cost about 50€. Does the train work with that too?

Thanks for your answer in advance

Caramon352 / Andy

yes it will work, however it cosmetically won't look as good, and you may need to slightly modify the tender in order to house the battery box.

you will though then have to purchase AA batteries, as a positive, you would not need the expensive battery pack or the even more expensive battery pack charger.

i'm not sure which battery pack lasts longer on a full charge?

hope this helps.

Paul

I tried that myself and it worked ok. You have to just move tvo slopes from the backside of the tender further back and hte battery then fits ok. It sticks out for 1-2 bricks height, but it's not higher then the rest of the train, so it's ok. Battery life is ok, better then i expected.

I have also used the regular battery box with my Emerald Night, and it works fine. I used normal alkaline batteries, but it should also work with rechargeable AAs.

It sticks out for 1-2 bricks height, but it's not higher then the rest of the train, so it's ok.

You mean it's higher then the rest of the tender, 1-2 bricks higher? That's a lot. I think that doesn't look very good...

I was also curious about this. It appears that the regular AA battery box is somewhat larger then the rechargeable one. So I'm not sure how well it would work for the train?

I've got a ton of Sanyo Eneloops - they are relatively inexpensive, last for many charges and store very well. So if you've already got rechargeable batteries on standby...I was thinking of trying a 8881-1 battery box first.

On the other hand - the LEGO rechargeable box is the way to go in the long run....regular AA's are not cost effective.

Edited by quietworkshop

Hi!

To get an idea how lager the regular AA bettery box would be in the Emerald Train tender, you may check

out.

Additionally try that!

HTH

greets

Thomas

Edited by Rumpelmuck

Yeah, it sticks out a lot, but it's better then nothing. Rechargeable battery and charger cost almost 80euro in europe and are only available over S@H, which we dont have in Slovenia. I hope to get both in one of new trains which are easier to convert than EN.

Yeah, I tried that also, but it's not working as good as PF drive, because of the driving rods. Whole system works alot better if wheels are diven and not pushed. I had that system for some time, but after our trainshow I decided to buy at least motor and receiver.

As I said, I plan to buy new PF train and use those parts for my emerald night. If the price will really be around 140euros, and knowing that just PF parts are worth 115 euro, that will be one cheap train.

I for one have seen the Emerald Night with the regular battery box. It kind of looks wierd poking out of the tender, but it works. I'd say to save money, omit the light. That's what I'm gonna do.

And that battery box in America costs at almost $50!

Edited by efullner

anybody else with pics with different battery boxes? not the liPo and other than 9v? some of us have moved on.... haha

traintech1.jpg

Hi community,

I have a question concerning the LEGO EMERALD NIGHT EXPRESS. My son got that train at Xmas. He's really happy about that... BUT he wants to have those power functions. I looked for them at the LEGO shop, but that's a very expensive thing. It would cost about 110€. The rechargeable battery box is the most expensive thing... could that be replaced with the normal battery box. That would lower the cost about 50€. Does the train work with that too?

Thanks for your answer in advance

Caramon352 / Andy

The battery box from train set 7938 should also work, but I have not yet seen it on bricklink.

Hello, I am a very big fan of the Emerald Night, and I have 3 passenger cars with 2, 9V motors under 1 car. With a PF motor? I have tried adding the PF motor under the front and also under the tender, but it didn't work out. Stick to the mototrs under the passenger car, so far....best idea. :thumbup:

Edited by CarrollFilms