Sign in to follow this  
_shaddow_

Review : 7592 Construct-a-Buzz

Before i begin the review, i want to make you know it's the first english review i ever made, so be gentle if it's flawed. My english isn't perfect, too. Oh well, you can always look at the pictures, right ? :tongue:

7592 - Construct-a-Buzz

General release year : 2010

Theme : Toy Story

Pieces : 205

Minifigs : one

Price : €24.99 ? (i paid €29.99)

To start with the review, i must say that i was really happy to find this in a store in Paris. They had all the Toy Story and Star Wars collections from January. I picked up this 7592 - Construct-a-Buzz (what a weird name, why not just call it Buzz Lighyear ?) and the 7590 - Woody and Buzz to the Rescue. As this review wasn't done yet, well, there it is !

Here is the front of the box, i think you know it already, but no review is complete without the box !

dscn4632.jpg

Nothing new, always this Woody that is looking at you with his pretty creepy face, and Buzz, as classy as always. You can see the little green alien included in this set for whatever reason (but i'll never be against a "free" minifig :tongue: ).

The back of the box let us see more interesting things, like the different gimmick of the sets we'll talk about later in the review.

dscn4633.jpg

As i said, it shows the three different gimmicks and an heigh comparison with our cute little alien. :wub:

Now that we have seen the box, we'll carry on with what is IN the box. First, the booklet and stickers.

dscn4634.jpg

The sticker sheet is not as big as i think it would be, and that's a good thing (poor stickers, nobody loves you...).

Here is a random page of the instruction booklet...

dscn4638.jpg

..and here is the ad for the other sets.

dscn4639.jpg

The first thing that i thought when i saw the booklet interior is the fact that it contains more steps than i tought it would, but is it a good surprise or maybe the simplification of the instructions booklet ?

Anyway, i heard some persons say that they want "BRICKS", so here they are.

dscn4637.jpg

Two numberised bags and another separated bag for the head and the helmet of Buzz. I like to play the game and only open each bag separetly.

The first bag contains the pieces needed to build the torso part and the Alien minifig.

dscn4641.jpg

The Alien's head comes in its own bag, surely to avoid scratching it. Buzz's head is a new piece, obviously, and is moulded with a pinhole on its base. Apart from these pieces, there's other pieces that picked my attention :

dscn4642.jpg

Some new purple-colored pieces (i'm not sure if some of them came with the Harry Potter Bus, but it's the same tone of purple).

The build is pretty straight forward yet interesting, and i'm happy to say i made an error when i built it. In fact, i forgot to place some 2 x 2 plate on the side of Buzz.

Here is a picture of the build after Bag 1, with the little alien and the spare pieces.

dscn4643.jpg

The torso itself is pretty big and feels solid. The stickers aren't posed yet, so the 1 x 2 tile on is torso isn't a sticker. You can see a lime cheese brick and a round 1x1 plate in purple.

After the bag 1 comes... the bag 2, yes ! With this bag, you build all the members of Buzz and the back pack with the wings. There is more pieces in this bag, and it's good to feel that once you have build the torso, the end of the build isn't too near.

dscn4647.jpg

This bag contains a bigger number of interesting parts, look at this :

dscn4653.jpg

Two slopes with different designs on them, a tan technic axle with stud, some 1 x 3 tiles, purple wings and a new 4 x 3 wedge with no studs. Once again, the build is pretty straight forward, but this time, a bit more boring as you must do pratically the same build twice (without the back pack).

dscn4663.jpg

And here is Buzz in all it's blocky glory. And i must say i like this set as a maxifig, as it's basically a Giant representation of the Buzz minifig. When i first built the legs and waist, and then placed it on buzz, i must say i was surprised as it seemed a bit small. Now that i'm looking at it again, i must say that the only complain i have with the legs is the fact the fact that they are a bit wide with the waist, even if it's not that much of a deal.

dscn4664.jpg

He seems really proud of his newly posed stickers, and he looks better with, even if i'm not a fan of stickers myself. His articulation are pretty limited, the waist turn, the legs go forward, backward and out, the feet are on a balljoint (no backward movement, as the feet are blocked by the rear of the leg). The head can turn side to side, and the arms and hands are on a balljoint, so "unlimited" movement. The lack of knee and elbow articulations makes me sad, but i was already aware of that, so i can pass on it. The articulations is the principal reason on why i consider this more of a maxifig than of an action figure, as the poses are pretty limited. But hey, now that buzz has is new sticker... err, button, he want to show us his superb pair of wings !

dscn4668.jpg

And they are really superb. They're not perfectly accurate, as the red/white stripes should continue on the top of the wing, but it looks good enough not to whine on the accuracy.

dscn4669.jpg

The two other gimmicks Buzz posess are the moveable helmet and the flick-fire missile that represents his arm-mounted laser. the missile functions well but i don't think it would be enough to fight against the big cannon Zurg has. The openable helmet is a neat little function. It doesn't seems like it's vital, but i'm sure people would complain if it wasn't here.

dscn4675.jpg

One complain, appart from the poseability : The back, which is pretty boring. I know, you won't look often at the back of the figure, but still. The round grey part they use to represent the circle on the backpack of Buzz was a good idea, but even with this, it's plain and not very accurate.

dscn4673.jpg

For the final picture (phew...), this is a comparison between mini Buzz and maxi Buzz, the two of them look great together !

Finally, i must say that i love this set, because it's fun to fiddle with and he has some cool and simple gimmick. The general look of the figure is great and accurate to his 3D counter part (and minifig counterpart too) and the poseability is correct even if it's not perfect.

Minifigures : 10/10 - The set didn't need a figure. This cute little green alien is an bonus and a great looking figure.

Parts : 8/10 - A neat selection of part with eight new 1 x 3 tiles, some purple pieces and so much more.

Price : 7/10 - The €30 i've paid for this one was a bit too much, but €25 is decent enough.

Build : 7.5/10 - not difficult yet interesting, some parts reminded me of the Exo-Force builds.

Playability : 8.5/10 - The most interesting part about this set, a maxifig fairly articulated to recreate all the moments of the two (soon three) movies.

Overall : 8.2/10 - You like Buzz, but his minifig isn't enough for you ? What are you still doing here ? Go and buy it, you won't be disappointed.

Edited by _shaddow_

'We come in peace !' :yoda:

A great review for an interesting set.

Odd though a sticker sheet and printed parts ? :alien:

This truely looks like Buzz Lightyear, very poseable with a red laser bolt flick missile - COOL ! :grin:

Thanks for the review '_Shaddow_'. :sweet:

Now I know how big is this large Buzz Lightyear, and I think it look pretty nice with its different poses. This set make me feel like its an action figure but mainly built of bricks and big parts. Nevertheless, it's a nice set, especially when it comes with a bonus "alien".

Thanks for sharing this review with us. :sweet:

Thanks for this detailed review _Shaddow_!

For a $25 set, this set looks pretty good! It makes a great action figure for kids, and would go well with Construct-a-Zurg.

I don't really like how the elbow section is an L shape instead of being straight, but that's fine.

It's spectacular how TLG is listening to our feedback by finally printing some parts again! They could easily have just made stickers for the slopes and tile, but they decided to step it up a notch! :sweet:

I just love the claw grabber alien minifig! It looks too cute with the three eyes! :wub:

It's unfortunate how his head is made and printed in China, though. I have a Squidman and a Sulfurix (both made in China), and some printing has scratched off one of their eyes (Squidman) and on the rock printing on the body (Sulfurix). :hmpf_bad:

Oh, and Chris (Reasonably Clever) has a hilarious picture involving this set:

4195120954_510221449b.jpg

:laugh:

Edited by ILikePi

This set looks great and looks like it come with lots of great parts. The bubble cockpit piece looks like it would be great for a Aircraft or spacecraft MOC.

Looks like the Islanders got to Buzz :laugh:

Thanks for the great review.

Edited by LEGOMAN132

Thanks for this detailed review _Shaddow_!

For a $25 set, this set looks pretty good! It makes a great action figure for kids, and would go well with Construct-a-Zurg.

I don't really like how the elbow section is an L shape instead of being straight, but that's fine.

It's spectacular how TLG is listening to our feedback by finally printing some parts again! They could easily have just made stickers for the slopes and tile, but they decided to step it up a notch! :sweet:

I just love the claw grabber alien minifig! It looks too cute with the three eyes! :wub:

It's unfortunate how his head is made and printed in China, though. I have a Squidman and a Sulfurix (both made in China), and some printing has scratched off one of their eyes (Squidman) and on the rock printing on the body (Sulfurix). :hmpf_bad:

Hah. Yeah, Chris at Reasonably Clever has been doing "Buzzkills" with his Buzz Lightyear minifig and his Construct-a-Buzz. They can scare you sometimes.

Excellent review. I'm not quiet sure on the set yet, though. I might get. The non-move-able elbows and knees dock points off. But its freakin' Buzz Lightyear!

When i saw it first it was a bit strange, then it made me laugh. :laugh:

Hah. Yeah, Chris at Reasonably Clever has been doing "Buzzkills" with his Buzz Lightyear minifig and his Construct-a-Buzz. They can scare you sometimes.

Excellent review. I'm not quiet sure on the set yet, though. I might get. The non-move-able elbows and knees dock points off. But its freakin' Buzz Lightyear!

If you like Buzz Lightyear as much as me, don't think, just buy it, he is really good.

Thanks for all your comments !

Thanks for the nice review!

I don't think the super-detailed sculpt of Buzz's large head sits at all well with the blocky construction of the rest of the figure. They look like they come from separately scaled lines (kind of the inverse of the Reasonably Clever pic).

"WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAH"- Alien

The best part of this set is the alien, not the Buzz!

I like the picture with Buzz and Mini-Buzz. They look so cute together!

Now I waiting for Zurg review!

What a great fun revew! :D Nice poses! You did a good job. I like the funny bits. I was really happy when I heard that Lego was doing Toy Story. We love the movies. Actually, I don't personally know anyone who doesn't.

The Buzz Lightyear is great. We have a bunch of Toy Story toys at my house. I really like his head. Too bad he doesn't have knees. It's funny, when I saw his back, I thought to myself it looked boring and you said the same thing in the next paragraph lol. I still like it. The alien minifig is so cute too!

Those molded heads keep freaking me out. I just can't get around they're really Lego. That little alien is über-cute though. :wub:

Yeah, still planning to get this set, and the second thing I do with it (after building it, obviously) is give it some elbows, and maybe a lightbrick laser. I've wanted this set since I first saw it, but the more I saw of it, the better I knew it could have been. Thanks for the look!

Hopefully the Alien comes as a Keychain, I don't really want to buy the set just for the Alien,

Thanks for the Very detailed review.

Thanks for the review _shaddow_ :thumbup:

This looks like a quite nice set. At first my impression was, hmm looks kinda boring, but after reading the review, I thought hey thats actually pretty cool!

I really like that pic of Chris's Pi :laugh: Thanks for posting that. :thumbup:

Thanks again for the review _shaddow_!

CommanderFox

Edited by CommanderFox

That little alien is über-cute though. :wub:

:alien: : We will conquer the world with our uber-cuteness! :devil::tongue::grin:

Nice review! :thumbup::classic:

Good review! Don't worry about your English, everything was easy to understand!

I think you'll find that the pieces that are bagged separately are the ones made in China (detailed parts like buzz's head, the alien's head and buzz's dome).

Great to see that LEGO is putting some set-specific printed parts in too! This hasn't happened in a long time, and gives me hope. Nice parts selection too, although I really dislike how it looks like Buzz is wearing a pair of purple pants from the back!

I really need to get this set, there are so many great parts in this set :classic:

That is a beautiful review _Shaddow_!

I do like this set and have done so since we first saw the pictures of it.

I might need to get this set as well. But then it must stop this year with TS sets!!

I like how good he was with that MC d00dz :thumbup:

I just wanna bump this topic up for an interesting pic I found that was posted in another forum I frequent:

c038fdeabf.jpg

Anyone else see the difference? It doesn't seem that the difference in piece count is because of the Alien minifigure which was what first came to my head. Odd.

Edited by Canada_7

Huh, that's peculiar. Once a set is finalized and in stores for months like this one was before they made the white packaging available, they presumably wouldn't change something like that on the box unless they had a very specific, intentional reason for doing so. I doubt they actually redesigned the model's construction (though I know they do such things sometimes, so who knows); perhaps the original piece count was wrong?

If the new count were one fewer (having a difference from the original count of five instead of six), I'd half-wonder whether they decided to count the stickers...

Edited by Blondie-Wan

I just picked up this set today at Barnes and Noble books out of their clearance area for 50% off. They had a handful of this same set available here in Medford Oregon if someone wanted one and also a heads up if they are on sale at other B&N.