Ashi Valkoinen

MOCs: Models of trains running in Hungary

The railjet looks great, the prototype has great colors for lego and like so many of your builds you did a fantastic job making the translation to brick.

Thank you, zephyr!

Maybe some of you noticed on Facebook, I finished my bistro car and added Stefano Masetti's stickers to the train, so now it's closer to the real thing, and only three waggons left until the full railjet train!

img_4892_sm.png

img_4898_sm.png

After thinking quite lot about it I decided to redesign my Stadler FLIRT electric motor units - I'm not totally satisfied with the front design, especially with the view exactly looking at the front of the train. I grabbed my LDD again and building resulted in this:

new_flirt_04.png

I used the idea from my RhB Stadler Allegra design, and tried to use it on my FLIRT. It was a little tricky to do - my FLIRT is higher and I had problems with half stud offsets, and I wanted to keep the possibility of front lights as well, which made the task really hard. Finally I used 1×2×1 panel element behind the trans-clear cheese slope, so I was able to keep the light on stud 2 and 7 (the train is 8W). This week I'll try to get some additional parts needed for new design to look at it, how it looks like for real.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/AshiValkoinen/BuildingTricks/Stadler-Front/new_flirt_03.png

I have two different type of IC-waggons for years by now, but I still haven't take photos of them, or their inside. So here are some pictures from the long (60 stud) passanger cars I own.

First set of photos about the 3G (third generation) IC-passanger cars of the Hungarian State Railway. Only 10 of these cars were built as rebuilds of old waggons from Poland. (Then the management changed after elections, and the project was over... )

1. Three waggons, two of them 2nd class, one of the 1st class. The train cars didn't need any "excellent" LEGO-solutions, they are really easy-to-build, brick and slope-built things.

img_5493_s.png

2. Insides have more details and brick-built chairs, according to waggon class and real colours. Green chairs in 2nd class, brown ones in 1st class cars.

img_5495_s.png

3. Every first class chair needed 5 parts (the fifth one under the hinge part is not visible)

img_5496_s.png

4. Three waggons together.

img_5499_s.png

The other type of IC-waggons I have is not hungarian, just Hungary-related, since until the arrival of RailJet trains many of austrian IC/EC passanger cars ran on hungarian rails. This first class IC-waggon is one of the oldest austrian IC-Bpmz cars, which got a nice renovation couple of years ago.

1. The waggon itself.

img_5503_s.png

2. Inside... this type of waggons have a corridor on one side, and seats in little rooms on the other.

img_5504_s.png

3. How to separate the rooms without taking one stud from the limited amount of space inside?

img_5507_s.png

Technic beam holds the 2×4 plate (which holds the roof as well, making it easily removeable), and a 2×2 plate inserted between the studs of the 2×4 plate. 2×2 tile works as well with this technique, but I found that it falls out more easily.

And where I'am now? If I had all my Hungary-related trains out of their boxes, here is a picture of them (currently all working):

currentfleet_2015.png

Very impressive. The Taurus locomotive and the RailJet are of course ever present here in Vienna so it is really cool to see such a nice rendition of it in Lego. I think especially the colour scheme is really very close to the original.

The Hungrian IC waggons may be easy straight forward constructs, but they look awesome.

Very impressive. The Taurus locomotive and the RailJet are of course ever present here in Vienna so it is really cool to see such a nice rendition of it in Lego. I think especially the colour scheme is really very close to the original.

The Hungrian IC waggons may be easy straight forward constructs, but they look awesome.

It was a challange to put all those colour details into my RailJet train (and Taurus locomotive's B end still waits for a solution with narrow gray pattern), but yes, it was worth to wait 2 years to collect all those parts. :) I'm really proud of the orange strip around doors - it is made by decals even on the original train, but I used plates to represent them.

Hungarian cars, yes, easy to build, but sometimes you simply don't need the SNOT-techniques you could put into more complicated builds.

Thanks for your feedback anyways!

I introduced the motor car and driving car for the Hungarian BVmot train a while ago, last night I designed two middle wagons as well. However most of my waggons are really easy straightforward builds, one of them needed a special solution.

The original trains (only 3 of them) were produced in 1994 by Ganz-Hunslet factory, and this train is the last railway vechile fully produced in Hungary (not counting 2 200 km/h IC wagons). Unfortunately they are often waiting for replacement parts, so it is rare to see them running in real life. Hope my MOC will run in a year or so.

The entire train:

000_bvmot_005_sm.png

The entire train 2:

1_bvmot_001_sm.png

The train has to middle wagons between motor car and driving car, they have the same lenght, but different number of windows! 1st class wagon has 10 windows, 2nd class has 11! I built in LDD the 2nd class car first, using 11 of train windows on each side, but then I had to design something placing only 10 windows. Using 10 train windows and putting randomly 1×1 brick between them (four studs were needed to be filled) was not an option, so I tried some SNOT technique on the wall.

Different window number, same length:

1_bvmot_003_sm.png

Close-up: the 9 plates height of the standard train window is divided from bottom to up: 1 plate, 3 SNOT stud (=7.5 plate in height), half plate with bracket.

1_bvmot_008_sm.png

Motor unit, inside:

1_bvmot_007_sm.png

English .pdf from the manufacturer, from 1994:

http://www.ganzdata.hu/download/Ganz_Hunslet_Intercity_EMU.pdf

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

I had the chance to see these in real life and they still blow me away whenever I see the pictures.
Simply amazing :classic:

This topic was started with my first, not proportional LEGO Stadler FLIRT EMU more than 7 years ago. 2016 December we had our Christmas event, where my now proportional red-white FLIRT and her younger blue-white colored sister ran for 6 days coupled together without any major problems. It was a two year long story since I finished the second Stadler FLIRT to achieve this.

For first both trains worked with 9V train motors, but I experienced problems powering both units' current consumption on regular LEGO 9V-system. I decided to build internal power sources into the trains to avoid changing all my wiring made for 9V-system. Since the original LEGO IR receiver unit has low effiency, both in current limit and available remote distance of IR control I decided to use SBricks and SBrick application. SBrick helps to synchronize the two trains. 9V motors were gone and had been replaced by two PF train motors put on one output of SBrick units. I used other three output of SBricks for indoor lights, and train "A" and "B" end front/tail lights (polarity-sensitive power functions leds I use as front/tail lights). However two PF train motors were enough to move the individual train (each around 3.5 kgs), they slowed down too much on curves, and when I ran them coupled, the faster second train always derailed the first slowing down in curves. To avoid the big speed difference between train in curves and train on straights I built an additional PF train motor into the each motor unit. So the two trains have 6 PF train motors together. The coupling also needed one year of exhibitions to be fixed, but now the technic-based couplers mounted on first and last bogies work well. I plan to change old-style LEGO magnets to same size neodymium magnets for better traction parameters. 

A video showing the FLIRTs running, not only on simple loop, but on multiple points as well. Video also shows how much speed SBrick offers, however due to the size limitation of the exhibition area I couldn't use this high speed too much.

I was thinking for a while now about changing the front design of my Stadler FLIRT EMU to capture some details better than I did it on previous front design. So here is the result of the brick-engineering I did on the train, truly said it was a really hard build to put everything into their place and keep front/tail lights as well. It is funny that I thought after testing SBrick with my red and blue Stadler FLIRT units that I'm finally done with this train, it seems I'm not, and blue and yellow-green FLIRTs are waiting for the updated front design as well. :)

img_6086_sm_bs.jpg

img_6091_sm_bs.jpg

img_6094_sm_bs.jpg

img_6096_sm_bs.jpg

Some recent photos I'd like to share. However we still don't have enough 9V tracks for grand curves on our events, before opening I assembled some PF tracks for my full set of railjet train. It looks much better on tracks like this than on curves built from R40 LEGO tracks. I hope ME-models will ship with acceptable prices to Europe...

00_index_sm.png

Other build is redesigning my Stadler FLIRT lights once more. With the new front designed I had not enough space for all four led lights to put them next to each other, so leds for red (tail) lights got their place deeper in the front design. But this 3 studs distance from the trans red tile on the front made the tail light almost invisible from outside, so I had to figure out something. I remembered the fiber optic cables I used long years ago in a Star Trek movie based MOC, so I made a try with them. They work really excellent, so I'm sure I'll use them later in other MOCs as well, they conduct light very nicely even when the cable is curved back in 180 degrees!

red-light_update_text_sm.png

Hello everyone,

CEO of Stadler and CEO of Hungarian State Railway (MÁV) signed the contract of delivering 10 brand new Stadler KISS electric motor units to Hungary in 2019, so having three LEGO Stadler FLIRT in my inventory I felt obligated to design the double-deck train of MÁV. I didn't start from zero, I have my Westbahn Stadler KISS LDD design for years by now, and I used that file to start with. The front should have been totally redesigned since the MÁV KISS trains arrive with new fronts (according to the changing TSI-standards the manufacturer redesigned it, just as by FLIRT 3 trains).

Total piece count will be 9300-9400 when all details designed, however I'm still waiting for exact technical drawings about the window distribution on lower floor and toliet arrangement (there will be 5 of them and one for disabled people). 

000_mav_kiss_008_wip_sm.png

The entire train. Due to its weights it will be driven (similarly to my Railjet train) with two SBricks on 1-1 battery boxes using 4 or 6 train motor in total. I left spaces for Power Function led lights for front/tail lights. Total lenght will be 3.3 metres.

007_mav_kiss_wip_sm.png

The hardest part during design was the new front and some details around it. The middle cars are quite easy builds, but the angled black tile in the middle of side window of driver's cab, the asymmetric blue curve on the side needed lot of work hours. I recommend everyone to "explore" the possibilities of bracket - they offer half-plate thing surface which allows you to build SNOTs in odd numbers of studs. (Some cheese slopes missing in LDD, but fit for real.)

mav_kiss_008_wip_sm.png

The "real" train on the graphic of Stadler:

kiss_mav_01_sm.png

Some video shots of my trains running. Fortunately the place where our last event was held had a nice balcony, perfect for taking longer shots of my trains going around. Coupled FLIRTs (SBrick and 9V :D ), Bombardier Talent (after 3 years of moving nowhere), one loco pulling 7 of 60 stud longs coaches and my first (and I think last) freight train shown in the video. 

While I'm waiting for real bricks to arrive for my previous project MÁV BVmot EMU I grabbed my LDD and designed the newest IC (InterCity) cars of GySEV/ROeEE railway company. These wagons are not brand new - GySEV bought them from ÖBB railway company. 

The whole train car:

01_gysev_ic_wip_sm.jpg

The real thing (photo by GySEV/ROeEE company):

tn4-ic-kocsi_atadas_kep_vonat2.jpg

Seat inside, four seats for each cabin, cabins separated by tiles hanging from roof with bracket parts:

03_gysev_ic_wip_sm.jpg

3-wide SNOT door with SOT glass inside - 7.5 plate width built using yellow brackets:

05_gysev_ic_wip_sm.jpg

Train car's end - some SNOT inside:

04_gysev_ic_wip.jpg

Three cars after each other - I need to design a locomotive for them as well. Maybe the brand new GySEV Vectron will be good for them. :)

06_gysev_ic_wip_sm.jpg

For the time I'm waiting for the final parts to arrive to my BVmot train I started to design its sister, BVhmot train in LDD as well. Both train sets consists of four wagons, a motor unit, two normal train cars and a control unit, but BVmot with orange pattern is designed for long distance traffic, BVhmot is the suburban version. These vehicles were the last products of the Hungarian Ganz-Hunslet company - three of BVmot trains and two of BVhmot trains were built. They are also compatible with each other - a BVmot motor unit can handle a suburban train set and vica versa.

First screenshot shows the whole train herself. The front is slightly narrowing and it has a side window on the narrowing part - this part of the train's front and the angular color patterns right behind the front offered a lot of challenge in LDD.

bvhmot_wip_001_sm.png

Front view - it narrows from 8 stud to 7 studs, and I had to fit the driver's front window and room for lights as well.

bvhmot_wip_005.png

Motor unit.

bvhmot_wip_003_sm.png

The control car:, note the window design. Since blue train window parts and their glasses cost a lot in the quantities I need them I decided to leave them and look up for other solution - the SNOT-built trans-clear parts allow to construct windows having almost the same size as the train window offers. Other advantage of this technique is that you can have nice amount of variations - the window spacing, the width of windows can be changed from plates to plates instead of studs. It also enabled me to have the angular white-blue pattern border between the first two windows on the side after the driver's cab - this is impossible to build with traditional train windows.

bvhmot_wip_002_sm.png

The entire train again, unfortunately there is a long way until I can build it - MÁV KISS and GySEV FLIRT3 trains are waiting for to be built...

bvhmot_wip_006_sm.png

I love the last view, as by 'zooming out' a little bit you lost the 'imperfections' and gaps between colour layers, and so the model's patterns look smooth and stunning. I especially like the diagonal striping that goes past the end windows viewed on the last image, it looks perfect. Very well done.

Wow. Very impressive models. Your eye for details is astonishing.

Why was that your first and last freight train show? Something wrong with freight trains in general? Or is it just because you prefer passenger trains?

On 6/28/2017 at 11:02 PM, ColletArrow said:

I love the last view, as by 'zooming out' a little bit you lost the 'imperfections' and gaps between colour layers, and so the model's patterns look smooth and stunning. I especially like the diagonal striping that goes past the end windows viewed on the last image, it looks perfect. Very well done.

Thanks. :) That pattern you mentioned through the last two window was one of the reasons (other was pricing) led me to discard train windows and design a SNOT, brick-built version. I looks like pixels still (no space between two windows for SNOT cheese slopes), but at least the pattern is there. 

On 7/3/2017 at 10:13 AM, Capparezza said:

Wow. Very impressive models. Your eye for details is astonishing.

Why was that your first and last freight train show? Something wrong with freight trains in general? Or is it just because you prefer passenger trains?

Thank you! Since almost everything I need can be found in LDD, I can take my time and try to contain as many details to my models as many reasonable can be done. 

For freight train, they are really not for me. I built four of those simple cars (they are not even model of something, just fantasy-cars), then later I built 3 additional ones for one train, but I'm not impressed by long freight trains, I prefer those which carry minifigs. And real passenger cars are more colorful, I like sloping or curved fronts, endings and patterns, freight cars doesn't offer these details (however they offer many challenges and there are wonderful MOCs around the internet, but personally I'm not interested in them).

While my BVmot train still waits for some parts (seats and curved slopes for roof) finally I decided to make a try with Stadler FLIRT3 train front. Those who follow this topic from the beginning, or at least for a while could know that I built 3 differently colored Stadler FLIRT units in 8 wide, 1~42 scale. The original FLIRT design has to go for real - the changing standards for safety in the case of collisions made Stadler to redesign the train itself and sell the next generation of FLIRTs named FLIRT3.

The Austrian-Hungarian railway company, GySEV/ROeEE owns 10 Stadlert FLIRT units from the first series and they ordered 10 additional FLIRTs, but these will be FLIRT3-s as they are not allowed to buy the older and less safe design. There will be some changes - slight variation of coloring, increased car length and placing 2 toilettes instead of one makes FLIRT3 looks different. And of course, the front part.

So, here is the result of work in LDD. I plan to build this for real, planting SBrick into it will make it able to run with older sister (also shown in screenshots).

gysev_flirt3_wip_000_sm.png

Old (back) and new (front) FLIRT trains of GySEV/ROeEE.

gysev_flirt3_wip_001_sm.png

gysev_flirt3_wip_007_sm.png

Comments and critics, as always, welcome.

Are those gaps left and right from the diagonal green line because of LDD? Disregarding the gaps your model looks awesome, as always. The bogies could use some work, though. Those 9V motor side parts don't go well with the rest of the train.

21 minutes ago, Capparezza said:

Are those gaps left and right from the diagonal green line because of LDD? Disregarding the gaps your model looks awesome, as always. The bogies could use some work, though. Those 9V motor side parts don't go well with the rest of the train.

Yes, those gaps will be filled with cheese slopes. LDD won't allow to place them there, because as I found two cheese slopes facing each other result in 2.6 plates width (a little more than one stud which is 2.5 in plates), but this method of stressing work fine in reality. Most of the cheese slope mosaics use the same dimensions as the "smallest" unit. The upper part of missing yellow cheese slopes will be filled with 1×2×2/3 slope (double), since there is no stud next to driver's cab's window to put it on.

You are right about bogies, they are the weak point of almost all of my models, I prefer to keep them clean since these trains run many real kilometres on shows, I simply don't like when trains derail on parts they lost on previous loop. I wish I could build a framework around bogies which are strong enough to resist forces awaking when bogies enter sharp curves and points.

bvmot_snot.png