21 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

This was another set that I was surprised not to find a review for, so thought I'd do one myself.

Name: Wookiee Attack

Theme: Star Wars

Number: 7258

Year: 2005

Pieces: 366

Minifigs: 4 (although some consider the Spider Droid a minifigure also, in which case it would be 5....)

Price: £24.99 when released

I paid : £33.67 including postage on eBay for a boxed (but not MISB) set

It was surprisingly tricky to get a boxed example at a decent price - many sets on eBay were unboxed, or selling at prices upwards of £50. Not sure if this set is fairly rare, but it commands a relatively high second-hand price compared with other similarly-sized sets.

OK. Here's a picture of the front of the box :

img_2944.jpg

Not in perfect condition, but good enough for my collection.

Here's the back :

img_2946.jpg

As well as illustrating some of the working features of the set, there's a sneak peek of some of the other 2005 sets including the Clone Turbo Tank, and also some alternative models.

The front of the instructions is the same as the front of the box so it wasn't worth posting a picture. Here's a random couple of pages from inside, however :

img_2956.jpg

If you look incredibly closely and have good eyes, you can see something that caused me some problems. When I bought the set I checked off the pieces against the Peeron and Brinklink inventories and thought there were some pieces missing. In fact, these instructions are not consistent with either Peeron or Bricklink - the set uses 6 MdStone 1 x 1 bricks with studs on opposite sides (which you may be able to see on the pages above) but Peeron and Bricklink say that the set only contains 2. Peeron also says that the set contains 11 MdStone light sabers which it definitely does not..... so don't believe everything you read on Bricklink and Peeron !

The set contains 4 minifigs - 2 Wookiees and 2 Battle Droids as you can see below :

img_2995.jpg

Here's the set with all the vehicles built. The set might be called "Wookiee Attack" but it really should have been called "Droid Attack" - it's certainly not a fair fight ! There's just 1 Wookiee flyer against all that droid firepower ! Even the Battle Droid is dual-wielding - his friend is driving the Tank Droid and so he lent him his blaster !

img_2935.jpg

So, now for a closer look at some of the vehicles. First the Spider Droid :

img_3002.jpg

Some nice, rare sand blue and dark blue pieces to be found here.

Now for the Wookie Flyer - here's a shot from the front :

img_2979.jpg

And here's one from the back :

img_2980.jpg

Looks of moving parts on here - all 4 sets of antennae, the gun at the back, and the tan 'harness' which forms the roof of the cockpit. Here's a close-up of the Wookiee gunner :

img_2983.jpg

Looks pretty smug behind his big blue gun !

Here's the Tank Droid :

img_2984.jpg

Some sweet colours- trans neon orange, sand blue, dark blue - and a working caterpillar track. Nice ! Here it is from the back :

img_2986.jpg

The large dish on the side lifts up to give the driver access to the vehicle as you can see here :

img_2988.jpg

Probably my favourite mini is the 6968 mini Wookiee Attack set, and here you can see it beside its big daddy :

img_2992.jpg

So, in summary, an interesting set containing 3 different and quirky vehicles.

Conclusions :

Design: 8/10 (Love the Tank Droid and the Spider Droid. The Wookiee Flyer is a bit too fiddly for my liking)

Price: 7/10 (Quite expensive to buy now, but the original retail price was pretty fair considering the piece count and the interesting and unique vehicles)

Minifigures: 5/10 (nice to have a couple more Wookiees, but I'm drowning in Battle Droids....)

Playability: 9/10 (A number of different vehicles, all with moving parts - great !)

Overall: 7/10 (a nice variety of vehicles, parts and colours, although slightly let down by the minifigs)

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed the review.

Dr. D.

Edited by KimT
indexed and poll added

Thanks for he review of this! I have this set, and it's still mostly together, but a few pieces here and there are off in some other place. I never got many EpIII sets, but I couldn't pass this one up since it came with three different vehicles, two awesome wookies, and a good price tag. I wish LEGO still put out deals like this. Nowadays a tank droid by itself is $24.99, but back then, you got a tank droid, wookie flyer, and spider droid all for $29.99. Those were the days!

I've read people's complaints about the colors on the tank droid, but I personally thought they were great. Star Wars is often too gray all the time, so this was a great set because it was mainly brown and blue.

I think you've got the wrong color disks under the trans-orange "eyes." The disks you have are black, but they're supposed to be dark bley. Doesn't matter much though.

7/10 almost seems harsh. This is one of my Favourite Lego sets to date :cry_happy: . I love both vehicles, very nicely designed, and fairly good figs. I really wish I had got Multiples of this set back when it was cheaper. I highly reccomend this set. It's a must have for any SW collector

Great Reveiw BTW :thumbup:

Thanks for all the nice comments, and glad you liked the review !

Clone O'Patra - great spot ! I need to switch around the black discs under the 'eyes' and the grey discs at the back - I put them on the wrong way round. This does however remind me of a comment I intended to make in my review - it's really difficult to differentiate between the different colours in the instructions. I've had a few problems with other sets, but this one is perhaps the worst !

Cheers,

Dr. D.

PS. Can someone tell me how to add a poll to this ? Thanks !

PS. Can someone tell me how to add a poll to this ? Thanks !

You can't, but a moderator can, so perhaps one will.

Thanks for the missing review! I quite like this set especially the wookies they look really great. The tank looks a bit weird compared to this years one especially the front because it seems to straight and not on an angle.

Great review ! haven't really seen much of this set before so it was good to check it out !

Personally I'm really glad they remade the Tank droid, the colour scheme just seems so out of place !

The wookies look awesome ! i love their lips :tongue:

Thanks for a very nice review drdavewatford :thumbup:

This was such a nice set, I really regret not being able to get it. :cry_sad:

The vehicals where really good and the figs where nice as well. :thumbup:

Thanks for the review!

CommanderFox

Edited by CommanderFox

Clone O'Patra - great spot ! I need to switch around the black discs under the 'eyes' and the grey discs at the back - I put them on the wrong way round. This does however remind me of a comment I intended to make in my review - it's really difficult to differentiate between the different colours in the instructions. I've had a few problems with other sets, but this one is perhaps the worst !

You also have one of these in the front of the Wookiee Craft in the wrong color. You have the one on the right in old dark gray and the other in dark bluish gray. :wink: The one circled should match the other one.

I wish I would have came out of my dark ages just one year earlier. Great review!

Long time ago, I didn't buy this set due to lack of funds, and I did regret it. I was going to buy it from Ebay, but now I'm glad I didn't do that - most of that set has been remade since. Hope we get some more Kashyyyk sets next year.

Thanks for the review!

JCC1004 that's impressive - nothing gets past you guys !

There are actually two pieces which are the wrong colour - the clip at the front (part number 6019) which should be DkStone but which is actually OldDkGray, and tile 1 x 2 with handle (2432) just behind the driver which should be MdStone but which is actually OldGray. The perils of buying second-hand sets from eBay, I'm afraid ! There were a number of missing pieces and other substitutions as well which I picked up when I first examined the set and rectified, but these 2 sneaked through and will be part of my next Bricklink order..... Honestly, I could start a whole new thread about my experience of buying Lego on eBay and how people try to get away with substituting pieces because they think the buyer won't notice.

Dr. D.

JCC1004 that's impressive - nothing gets past you guys !

There are actually two pieces which are the wrong colour - the clip at the front (part number 6019) which should be DkStone but which is actually OldDkGray, and tile 1 x 2 with handle (2432) just behind the driver which should be MdStone but which is actually OldGray. The perils of buying second-hand sets from eBay, I'm afraid ! There were a number of missing pieces and other substitutions as well which I picked up when I first examined the set and rectified, but these 2 sneaked through and will be part of my next Bricklink order..... Honestly, I could start a whole new thread about my experience of buying Lego on eBay and how people try to get away with substituting pieces because they think the buyer won't notice.

Dr. D.

Thanks for reviewing this set for us.

I'll make sure to add this to the index.

And don't get me started on eBay experiences - I'll never forgive the lying rat that sold me the 375 Castle with loads of replacement parts and missing parts. (luckily I got another one which was perfect - from Bricklink).

Yes, one more set off the list!!

Great review of a pretty odd set, I don't know if I would ahve bought this back in the day but the 2 wookie warriors are pretty cool, and kind of rare.

Thanks, Cam and others.

I do love the idea that Eurobricks could eventually have fairly detailed reviews of every single Star Wars Lego set ever, so it's nice to be able to help out. I was pleased to discover that I actually have asll the sets set that haven't been reviewed yet, so theoretically I could fill all the gaps..... Of course, because of time that isn't going to happen. There's also the problem that some of the sets, such as my UCS X-Wing and the Darth Maul bust, are still MISB so I would need to open them..... One day I may, but it takes me some courage to do it !

I just remembered that I do have quite a few photographs of 10030 UCS Imperial Star Destroyer from when I built the set a year ago. Some of the pics aren't great - too many background distractions - but I may be able to use photoshop to 'sanitise' the backgrounds and make them better. I'll have to take a look. If it's possible to do it then that would be another (big) set off the list.

If we work together we can do it !

Cheers,

Dr. D.

This was my second SW set I ever got and this is a fine review of it! In my opinion this droid tank is a lot better than the newer one. :classic:

Nice review of a nice set!

You did a real good review of the Tankdroid, I never noticed, that there´s a cockpit for a droid in the Snake-droid.

I want to get this set, too, but in germany the ebay-auctions are all in the end with over 40 euros, I think, this is too much money for this set, you´re real lucky to get it for 33 pounds, so you get it for the new price in germany, which is in my opinion too high.