61 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

INDEXED

I found this set today with €5 off, which was the reason I bought it. It's a really cool set and since there is no review of it yet I decided to review it. The lighting wasn't great to make pictures, but I think most are ok.

Set Number: 7213

Set Name: Fire Truck with Boat

Sub-theme: Emergency Resque

Year of Release: 2010

Pieces: ???

Minifigs: 3 firefighters

Components: Quad bike, boat & truck

Price: €30

Lets start with some box pictures:

7213_review_01.jpg

The front of the box.

7213_review_02.jpg

The back of the box, showing us the play features and how it is divided into several bags.

7213_review_03.jpg

The top shows us the 3 minifigs included.

Now lets see what's inside the box! :classic:

7213_review_04.jpg

4 bags, 2 instructions books, a large boat and a sticker sheet.

Book 1:

7213_review_05.jpg

Instructions for the quad bike and the boat.

7213_review_06.jpg

7213_review_07.jpg

Lego Town with the latest sets.

7213_review_08.jpg

Lego club advertisement.

Book 2:

7213_review_09.jpg

Instructions for the big truck.

7213_review_10.jpg

This shows page shows all the components added together.

7213_review_11.jpg

7213_review_12.jpg

The parts list.

7213_review_13.jpg

The new Nielsen advertisement.

7213_review_14.jpg

The sticker sheet. If you don't like stickers, this is not the set for you.

Finally time to open the bags. I put all the bricks into 1 big pile and didn't listen to the instructions. I like searching for a brick (if it doesn't take too long :tongue: ).

7213_review_15.jpg

7213_review_17.jpg

The new parts in this set.

7213_review_16.jpg

The large boat piece. It's the same as in the Coast Guard set, but this time in red.

We can now start building.

7213_review_18.jpg

The figs.

The first thing you build is the small but cool quad bike.

7213_review_19.jpg

7213_review_20.jpg

7213_review_20.jpg

The next thing is the boat.

7213_review_22.jpg

7213_review_23.jpg

I like this one. The round windshield in white is a nice touch.

7213_review_24.jpg

7213_review_25.jpg

7213_review_26.jpg

You can let a fig hold it with 2 hands. :sad:

And then it's time to build the main part of the set, the truck. I took pics before you are supposed to open a new bag.

7213_review_27.jpg

7213_review_28.jpg

I love this 'step', it was fun to build and looks very good. Only a gap below which you can fill up with tiles.

7213_review_29.jpg

Beginning to take it's finaly shape.

7213_review_30.jpg

Done! Wow, this thing is big! It's around 37 studs long!

7213_review_31.jpg

Front.

7213_review_32.jpg

Back.

7213_review_33.jpg

Crane in low position.

7213_review_34.jpg

Crane in high position.

Now this is where it gets odd. You have these thing which you flap out to stabilize the crane when moviing.

7213_review_35.jpg

Here it's located.

7213_review_36.jpg

You flap it out,

7213_review_37.jpg

Get one of these loudhailers with steering wheel things from here,

7213_review_38.jpg

And attach it to the pole thing.

Here's a pretty cool play function. There are 8 wheels, which are connected the the rest of the truck by 4 pins.

7213_review_39.jpg

Straight surface, looks just like normal.

7213_review_40.jpg

Wobbly surface.

7213_review_41.jpg

Completed set in action.

Totals:

Design: 9/10 The design is awesome. It looks even better than I imagined. A really cool, big truck. What's not to love?

Parts: 8/10 There are quite a bit of new and special parts.

Build: 9/10 Very fun to build, not repetitive at all. The diversity in vehicles gives it a diversity in building too, you aren;t just building a boat, or just a truck.

Minifigs: 6/10 You get 3 firefighters. Nothing special. The heads are in dozens of other sets. Still, it's good they added 3 firefighters, which is just enough (2 for truck (and boat) and 1 for Quad bike.

Playability: 9/10 It's a very playable set, you can think up varous scenarios to play. The fact that you can easily transfar from a land adventure to a water one is great.

Price: 9/10 I bought this for €25, which is €5 less than the S@H price (€30). If I couldn't get it at €25 I would still buy it. The large boat puts up the price I think.

Total: 50/60 I think this is one of the best City sets I've bought. I really love it. It's a cool truck, which comes with an additional boat and quad bike too. It's not overpriced at all. I recommend this great set to all builders, collectors and Lego (City) fans. This truly is a must have set.

That concludes the review. I hope you all like it. :classic:

Edited by DarthPineapple

Wow, that is quite a review, thank you DarthPineapple. For once, I have to say that a review changed my mind on a set. I had doubts in buying this set but the photos of the truck made me like it. I still wonder what that truck is since I don't think I ever saw one in reality :tongue: ... I kind of like the robust style and kind of military aspect of this truck. I might end up buying one even if I am not to sure it will fit in my LEGO city (scale problem)... Thanks for the review.

Nice review DarthPineapple. Thanks for sharing the early review (although the pictures are a bit large). This set looks like it has a high degree of playability. I like sets that offer multiple vehicles for land and water like this one. I've added a poll and front-paged. Nice! :thumbup:

Way, way, WAY too big. Just like the Coast Guard truck which I sold a week after purchase. Cool build, but belongs in Model Team, not City.

Edited by Sammael

Great review and very helpful DarthPineapple! :thumbup:

I'm not excited about this set though. It is very detailed with lots of playable features and many will love it. The thing is that it is too big for my taste and my collection.

I can play "see no evil" when it comes to the (large) boat. The presence of a boat like that in my collection can be excused with a big effort from me.

But the truck.... :sceptic: Well, it seems that this vehicle is dangerously approaching the MODEL TEAM scale and philosophy. Some may find that good because of a more accurate scale and details but this is not my cup of tea.

On the other hand, I'm more than sure that kids will absolutely love it. :classic:

Thanks again for this excellent review! :classic:

EDIT:

Only after I posted my thoughts, I saw Sammael's post refering to MODEL TEAM issue. I guess I'm not the only one that thinks that way.

Edited by Zorbas

Thanks for the great review, Darth Pineapple. Don't worry about the picture quality - it's not the best, but it's not bad either. :wink:

I've got to say, while this kit won't be on my wishlist, it's looks like a perfect gift for the target audience. It's too big for normal sized lego roads, it's too unusual for many people's tastes, but kids will love it for sure. The playability especially looks fantastic - three vehicles in one set, plus a working crane and awesome suspension on the transport truck. And really, you can't go wrong with mostly brick built contrustion and the giant pontoon boat from the 2008 Coast Guard set in a new color. It may not be classic town, but it's sure not Town Jr. either. :thumbup:

Edited by Grevious

I like this set, very cool. It's different to the fire theme, and better than the Coast Guard set. Still loving the "new" big boat. Those new sick pieces to stabilize the thing are kind of lame for this set, but will be great for the next Police theme, police canes. Awesome. :)

Thanks for the replies. It is indeed too large to fit on the standard LEGO City roads, I however don't have a City layout (just collect various sets), so I actually think the size of this makes it look powerful like real fire trucks.

That truck is a monstrosity. :thumbdown: The 4-wide windshield plus the 4 wide roof makes it look like some two headed weirdie.

Oh, and it's also too big. With the boat it carries it's actually a 10-wide frame. LEGO shouldn't even bother with 8-wide frames unless it's one of those mega-construction vehicles.

I think however, someone could very well make a 6-wide copy and it would look good. :classic:

Thanks for the great review, Darth Pineapple.

The front of the truck is very impressive and there are some cool play function (pseudo shock absorber, stabilizer, ...).

I never saw such a truck with crane carrying large rubber raft in the real world

But that the kind of trucks I saw after the last hurricane. The electricity company brought some with large generator to supply power to villages when the network was broken. It would be cool if Lego could renew itself instead of issuing always the same firemen, policemen, public workers and emergency sets.

I actually saw this set last week but as for the Coast Guard Truck, it seems to have a scale problem. It could fit my city if it was a military truck with a tank or an armoured vehicle. The stabilizers could fit a 6-wide truck but seem weak for a truck of that size. I don't like the rubber raft too. Unlike the small one, this one is hollow.

Thanks for the replies. It is indeed too large to fit on the standard LEGO City roads, I however don't have a City layout (just collect various sets), so I actually think the size of this makes it look powerful like real fire trucks.

That's exactly what I think LEGO was going for. Kids don't car if it fits on a road, kids don't have the road pieces.

I never saw such a truck with crane carrying large rubber raft in the real world

Ok, it's not rubber:

germersheimWLF.jpg

Best Regards, JanSued

I like the idea of this truck, the places this vehicle could go and drop/pick up the boat because of it's suspension system is cool. :classic:

But yeah, it's too big ! :sceptic:

It's the size of a dam missile launcher ! :grin:

I love the crane idea (might copy that part for some construction vehicle I have in mind). :wub:

The quad and boat are worth it, oh the boat has more detail than the coast guard one in some respects. :classic:

Thanks for the review 'DarthPineapple'. :sweet:

Great review! I really like this set. It looks really stable and well-built. The only thing I would change on this set is that the white Speed Racer windshield should be clear IMO. :thumbup:

Excellent review! I too like this set very much, and like the idea of combining Coast Guard (Pretty neat boat :classic: ) and Fire Brigade (cool looking truck ;) )! I really look forward to buying this set...

Once again, fantastic review! :thumbup:

Very nice review and the truck is pretty cool. I like the fact that it has suspension, a very rare thing in City sets, and that it has such a different look from the usual Lego City vehicles. Also the other functions of the truck are quite interesting, especially the crane.

I think this set is worth buying.

Wow this is a good looking set. Initially I thought it would be pretty lame. The truck is perfectly sized I think. I don't know why some of you say it is too big. The trucks Lego puts out are too small. A real life truck towers over and dwarfs a human(look at the single cab boat truck someone posted). If it were smaller it would look pathetic.

When I was a kid I dreamt of vehicles like this scale where more than one minifig could actually occupy the cab. Kids these days have it good with Lego.

Thanks to this set and the new Fire Helicopter, next year will be the first time I own a Fire set since my parents got me this one, almost 20 years ago... Good job, Lego!

A really nice review on this set DarthPineapple :thumbup:

This set looks very cool! I really like the boat and the truck.

They look like very nice builds. :thumbup:

The new parts that come in this set look very cool, I really like those ones that are on the thing that holds the truck up when taking on the boat. :wub:

Nice review!

CommanderFox

Edited by CommanderFox

Thanks for the review! :sweet: I really like this set. I wanted the coast guard boat set... but I didn't want it in orange! This is my change to get it in a better colour as well as some of the new "hydraulic" parts. The suspension is a nice touch too. :tongue:

I'll be sure to pick this one up!

(Anyone who thinks this is even close to model team should take a look at the old sets. Wheels twice the size, 12+ wide, working steering, way greater than minifig scale, believable detail... This isn't even close.)

I don't really like the scale of this set either. It's not just the fact that it is 8-wide, but the very tall height. It looks too tall in comparison to the minifigs.

That being said, this looks a lot like the kind of fire vehicles I used to build when I was a kid. I liked making these oversized all-in-one fire trucks that contained large 8-wide interiors, multiple ladders, an onboard helicopter and various other things. I can certainly see it being popular among its target audience.

(Anyone who thinks this is even close to model team should take a look at the old sets. Wheels twice the size, 12+ wide, working steering, way greater than minifig scale, believable detail... This isn't even close.)

This set is actually built to the scale seen in some of the old Basic sets, like the 735 fire engine. Those sets were 8-wide and were something in between System and Model Team.

This set is actually built to the scale seen in some of the old Basic sets, like the 735 fire engine. Those sets were 8-wide and were something in between System and Model Team.

Yeah, I agree. I miss the old BASIC sets; one day I'll have to re-build 744. :wub: