• Outstanding

indexed.gif

8088 ARC-170 Starfighter

Set Number: 8088

Set Name: ARC-170 Starfighter

Sub-theme: Clone Wars Animated Series

Year of Release: 2010 (Dec 17th 2009)

Pieces: 381

Minifigs: 4 (Kit Fisto, Captain Jag, Clone Pilot & R4-P44)

Components: ARC-170 Starfighter & 4 Minifigs

Bricklink

Today I returned to the toy store I visited yesterday (Fætter BR) and they found a bunch of freshly released Star Wars sets for me.

I chose to start with this one and hopefully I'll have time to do the Freeco Bike later tonight when my daughter sleeps :grin:

And eventhough this set has minifigs with more 'regular' eye prints, it's still listed as Clone Wars - sorry to all those who've hoped for something different.

And Kit has sand-green hands :tongue:

Box:

gallery_101_23_22633.jpg

med_gallery_101_23_7888.jpg

Instructions and 'Dreaded Sticker Sheet':

med_gallery_101_23_142726.jpg

Neat and easy to follow, especially since everything is sorted in 3 numbered bags.

med_gallery_101_23_419352.jpg

Nope, I didn't add those to the set.

Bag One:

med_gallery_101_23_98428.jpg

Ship's body.

14 minutes.

Bag Two:

med_gallery_101_23_67880.jpg

Engines ready.

8 Minutes.

med_gallery_101_23_263313.jpg

Ship's body with engines attached.

Bag Three:

med_gallery_101_23_294422.jpg

Wings ready for attachment.

6 Minutes.

Complete set:

med_gallery_101_23_321150.jpg

Wings in - Front view

med_gallery_101_23_258149.jpg

Wings in - top view

med_gallery_101_23_126000.jpg

Wings out - front view.

med_gallery_101_23_177980.jpg

Wings out - front side shot.

med_gallery_101_23_263590.jpg

Wings out rear shot.

med_gallery_101_23_234429.jpg

Wings out side shot.

med_gallery_101_23_94976.jpg

Bottom view.

Minifigs:

med_gallery_101_23_73255.jpg

The whole 'family' in front of the ARC-170.

med_gallery_101_23_137043.jpg

Captain Jag and Clone Pilot.

I'd rather have had two ordinary pilots, but you can't satisfy every customer :laugh:

med_gallery_101_23_152236.jpg

Kit Fisto and R4-P44 :wub:

New helmet design:

med_gallery_101_23_104897.jpg

I like this new open-face helmet and I must say that TLG did a good job here, unlike the AT-AT Driver helmet which is now open in the back *huh*

(Note to self - use white minifig heads for the AT-AT Drivers)

New Pilot Head

med_gallery_101_23_99052.jpg

What's not to like?

Especially the fact that it isn't 'animated' does it all for me :thumbup: TLG.

New parts:

med_gallery_101_23_277403.jpg

This light grey technic part looks new to me.

med_gallery_101_23_46682.jpg

1x2 Cheese slope :wub:

Conclusion:

A great set, though the wings are a little weak in their design.

New figs, new great parts and some useful dark-red bricks.

Great set - great design.

Excellent review for an excellent set. :)

I love that new droid, and I too wish that two normal clone pilots were in this set, as long as Jag stays. :)

And what's not to like about the new head? Well... the fact the visor is printed... the strap and the lack of continuity with the CW-style clone troopers. :p I wish all clone heads were like these ones.

Thanks KimT, excellent review.

I'm really interested if anyone has pics comparing it to the original as it does look very close. Even down to the construction of the wing joints and the bomb dropping/wing mechanism. Does it still drop bombs?

I always felt the original's body was a little small compared to the wings and this one seems the same way but maybe I'm just more ussed to the X-wing's dimensions and this is accurate.

Thanks,

Tohst

PS, my local TRU wanted $75 for this one.

Great review, again, Kim!

This is a must buy! The engines look neat and the front section is beautiful! :wub: If I ever want to use the pilots as CW, I will just use the cartoon Clone Trooper heads (which are in abundance) and sharpie over the eyes.

Are the heads double sided as we all hoped, or are they the heads from the Rebel BP?

Edited by Jammiedodger714

Great review, I love it.

Kim is this smaller than the previous ARC set?? It looks smaller compared to your hand. I'm just curious.

Thanks for the quick review of a new great set!

Although I think it's a tad expensive, I gave it an outstanding, 3 figs for one ship, what a great idea, and a rare jedi to boot. TLG is just trying to please us now :)

Thanks KimT, excellent review.

I'm really interested if anyone has pics comparing it to the original as it does look very close. Even down to the construction of the wing joints and the bomb dropping/wing mechanism. Does it still drop bombs?

I always felt the original's body was a little small compared to the wings and this one seems the same way but maybe I'm just more ussed to the X-wing's dimensions and this is accurate.

Thanks,

Tohst

PS, my local TRU wanted $75 for this one.

I doesn't drop bombs...

It has two flick missiles underneath and that's all.

Great review, I love it.

Kim is this smaller than the previous ARC set?? It looks smaller compared to your hand. I'm just curious.

Thanks for the quick review of a new great set!

Although I think it's a tad expensive, I gave it an outstanding, 3 figs for one ship, what a great idea, and a rare jedi to boot. TLG is just trying to please us now :)

I don't think it's smaller, I've just got big hands :laugh:

It is quite big - I reckon it must be the angle that cheats.

Great review KimT, thanks very much.

This is a nice improvement over the original LEGO 7259 ARC-170; the curved nose and larger engines are much more accurate and it looks like the wings, thought still weak, may be more stable. I'd like to experience or see first hand how well the wing deploying feature works. Is it as shaky and cumbersome as it was on the original? I'm hoping not.

I really like the new figures. The clone pilots are lovely (I'm bemused as everyone about including Kit Fisto instead of another clone pilot, as nice a figure that he is) with those superb new helmets and nice printed details. R4-P44 is great too!

Still debating whether I'll get this or not. There are a lot of great sets on the horizon and I've got so much unbuilt LEGO at the moment I may have to restrict my purchases... maybe. :wink:

The wing deployment works very well.

It's smooth and easy.

Only problem is that it's insanely slow :laugh:

Great review, KimT, I also hope you get to do the Freeco speeder soon, I`m looking forwards to that!

From what I see, this is a great set, the front looks far more accurate, the figs are great, and even though I have the old one, I´ll try to get this as well.

Great, thanks for the review, KimT.

I'm still not sold on that one... I really don't think it's got enough differences with the previous one to justify me buying it... And I have to say that without the stickers, it looks rather bland... :sad:

Would it be possible to have comparison shots with the other one? (After your done with the Freeco Speeder, of course :grin: )

Would it be possible to have comparison shots with the other one? (After your done with the Freeco Speeder, of course :grin: )

Not from me.

The other one is disassembled and stored in a safe place :laugh:

Rest assured that the Freeco Speeder is coming tonight as I've already build it.

The daylight buld incident is a minor setback though :sceptic:

It's har enough to get okay pics with them and without the 100W bulb, I have to devise a new plan...

Thanks for this review, KimT! :thumbup:

After comparing the new ARC-170 Starfighter to the original, I personally like the original better, but the new one is cool too. :grin:

I am very curious about those transparent 2x2 dishes on the engines of the new version--are they in a new color? I don't remember seeing those in trans-purple (or are they trans-pink?) before.

-Toa Of Justice

Thanks for the great review, KimT! Just hope they start appearing in the UK soon.

Can I ask, why is it listed as Clone Wars? The eyes aren't animated as you said, and according to the (vaguely) reliable Wookiepedia Captain Jag was only in ROTS, so it seems a bit strange that it's a clone wars set. I suppose he could appear in the next series, but I would have thought that would be a little tenuous. Then again, Lego seemed to think the AT-AP is an original trilogy set, according to their website, so anything's possible!

I have the first one, like this one, the new helmets are nice. I still hate the 1x2 cheese slopes, just useless.

Can I ask, why is it listed as Clone Wars?

Because it's from that part of the timeline. :)

Edited by The Green Brick Giant

I have the first one, like this one, the new helmets are nice. I still hate the 1x2 cheese slopes, just stupid.

Why stupid?

They're perfect and it'll surely erase the annoying side-by-side-askew-cheese-slopes look to a MOC.

Hate is such a strong word where I come from.

Nice but surprisingly similar to old one that i have- i'm probably not buying that if i get some other set -but maybe -minifigs are nice :classic: although clones should have had Clonelooking (but no cw) head :hmpf_bad: Not Zev Senesca head...?

I have the first one, like this one, the new helmets are nice. I still hate the 1x2 cheese slopes, just useless.

Because it's from that part of the timeline. :)

Why to hate great new parts?!?- slopes aren't useless :angry:

Why stupid?

They're perfect and it'll surely erase the annoying side-by-side-askew-cheese-slopes look to a MOC.

Hate is such a strong word where I come from.

It's stupid if the normal 1x1 piece works just as well and is better in case you need a 1x1. Plus LEGO only made the 1x2 so you get less pieces. If it was the old piece you would get three 1x1 and now you only get 1 1x2 (or how many you get).

It's stupid if the normal 1x1 piece works just as well and is better in case you need a 1x1. Plus LEGO only made the 1x2 so you get less pieces. If it was the old piece you would get three 1x1 and now you only get 1 1x2 (or how many you get).

Yes- but 1x2 slope looks better than two 1x1 slopes side to side- also the lego have no reason to decrease the partcount since it is good for advertising to tell the piececount in cover- some sets have that number in them- anyway i always like when lego do new parts... :classic:

Yes- but 1x2 slope looks better than two 1x1 slopes side to side- also the lego have no reason to decrease the partcount since it is good for advertising to tell the piececount in cover- some sets have that number in them- anyway i always like when lego do new parts... :classic:

Well it they were 1x1 you get extras with the set, are the extra pieces counted in the piece count?

Well it they were 1x1 you get extras with the set, are the extra pieces counted in the piece count?

Nope, but it doesn't really matter the way I see it.

The new cheese slope is great and so are the 2x4 tiles and 1x3 tiles (in the Freeco Speeder set)

I don't care much for the extra parts. - they're.... well extras :grin:

I still hate the 1x2 cheese slopes, just useless.

You can't please all the people all the time! Why use 2 1x1 cheese slopes when you can use 1 1x2 cheese slope?! They'll come in damn useful to me. Some great new parts in this set, not that I'd want to dismantle it if I owned it... it is rather nice. :wink:

Come to think of it KimT, I thought you hoarded MISB LEGO sets? Or is this just one of the 5 or so copies you bought?! :laugh:

Thanks for another Fantastic review KimT! :thumbup:

I can't wait to see your Freeco review. :sweet:

This set has to be top priority along side the BPs for me. I missed the old one, so as soon as I heard this one was coming out I knew I'd have to get it!

The figs in the set are very nice! I love the new droid and the pilots. :wub:

The actualy set looks very nice and I think, looks much sleeker then the last one.

Thanks for a Great review Kim!

CommanderFox

Edited by CommanderFox

The new cheese slope is great and so are the 2x4 tiles and 1x3 tiles (in the Freeco Speeder set)

Extra parts are strangely mislogic- ok out of topic -partially- but i had to say i opened my pirate advent calendar today and there were little equipment pack for a redcoat- with pistol cutlass and handcuffs- there were extra handcuffs and extra cutlass but no extra pistol- why? pistol is almost easier to miss than bigger cutlass or handcuffs... after all i love the new parts but this new Arc is not very interesting set i think :sceptic:

But I got so many extra slope pieces, at least 30 now! I need those so I can use the slops in MOC. You don't like free pieces?

Why use two 1x1 when there is a 1x2, because I get more 1x1s because they are free! :laugh:

And the 2x4 tile was needed because of the large amount of stickers.