7595 Army Men on Patrol  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate it?

• Bad
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Excellent

It was reported that 2010 Toy Story and Star Wars sets were coming out at TRUs across the US, so I headed over to mine, and sure enough, the rumors were true! After finding out from other reviews that the big Woody and similar figures were Chinese pieces of crap, all I was left wanting from the line was…

4193463540_870abd6209_o.jpg

Set Title: Army Men on Patrol

Set #: 7595

Theme: Toy Story

Pieces: 90

Minifigures: 4

Year of Release: 2010 (late 2009)

Price at Release: $12.99 at TRU, $9.99? from LEGO

Buy it? Inventory? Bricklink

flickr

INTRODUCTION

First, a word about the pictures in this review. I have a good camera, but its color perception is not always perfect. I monkeyed with photoediting to try and recreate the green-ness of this set, but there was not always a perfect solution. So, remember this: this set is very, very vibrantly green. Not all the parts on the jeep are the exact same shade of green, but the minifigures are, for the most part. To get the best understanding of how very green this set is, you may need to buy it yourself.

Because this set is so green, it certainly stands out on a TRU shelf. The box does report that some components are made in China (like so many sets these days), and it wasn't too hard to tell which pieces were not usual LEGO quality. To find that out, you'll have to read on…

BOX

A new set, so I've got box pictures! Remember from two seconds ago when I said this box stands out on a shelf? Well, here it is, a brightly colored, not muddled design that nicely shows off the set in its on-the-floor-since-it's-a-toy setting. Interesting to note that the piece count had to be moved from under the title in order to fit the very creepy looking Woody design. Don't stare into those eyes too long!

4193458178_16ea0eee37_o.jpg

One side of the box continues the art from the front with a rendering of the army men bucket. You have to wonder why the set is called "army men," if the bucket says "soldiers." Maybe army men just seems less intimidating, and more macho.

4193458556_9380eed47f_o.jpg

The back shows off something reminiscent to the movie scene, where the soldier is injured by Andy's mom and has to be helped to safety. Of course, I don't seem to remember a jeep in the movie, but hey, they couldn't include a giant bouncing ball! Sorry box-flatteners, this one you've got to punch open.

4193458444_21e48e9a36_o.jpg

The top of the box shows what it reports to be an "actual size" picture. However, since the minifigure is not shown straight from the front as they usually are in this section, you can't really tell if the figure is actual size. This is the first time I've ever seen an "actual size" picture that you can't actually compare with the figure.

4193458666_19dcb9d493_o.jpg

Lastly, another side of the box shows the same picture as the front, with the set title in other languages and a snazzy "join the 'get a really thin magazine' club" logo.

4192698271_2c6224b018_o.jpg

INSTRUCTIONS

Front. Not mangled, and it has the same very creepy Woody as the box.

4192698517_f0ca45ec30_o.jpg

Back. Man, I want to slap the screaming kid. Not because he's a kid, but because he's screaming. No hating on kids here.

4193459398_545d7f3641_o.jpg

Random Page. Luckily, I could distinguish all three colors. The pages have that nice cloudy design that is all over the TS sets.

4193459784_6ef9f0496d_o.jpg

The (green) parts list.

4193459962_7920bb59be_o.jpg

And an ad for the other TS January sets.

4193459628_aa027e7569_o.jpg

PARTS

Here are all the parts laid out, minus all parts that have to do with minifigures. I don't believe there's ever been a set with so much of a primary color, and it's great. Some of these pieces, like the wheels, have never been released in green before, but apart from that there are no 'special' pieces. Too bad not all the green bricks are exactly the same shade of green, though the differences are only very slight.

4192701487_f49bfbef13_o.jpg

The sole extra pieces is a trans-green little round.

4193462306_bbea13208c_o.jpg

MINIFIGURES

Even if you've got a green brick fetish, admit it, it's really the figs (and accessories) that drew you to this set.

It's quite the stir of the LEGO community that LEGO has finally made army helmets. But I don't hold any hopes for army sets. Just because there's a TS western set doesn't mean that Western is coming back. Still, you can stock up on the helmets here, and get some darn nice looking camo figs along with them.

4192699527_07b9791c02_o.jpg

No back printing for these fellas, but that's ok. They've got army helmets and green heads!

4192699659_0dc158e043_o.jpg

Here's a better look at the face and torso. I don't think the toy soldiers ever looked happy in the movie, but hey, it's LEGO. I'm not sure why they decided to make the undershirt and belt a lighter shade of green, but it's not bad. Overall, beautiful minifigures, and I foresee some interesting MOCs with the possibility of green faces.

4192699793_d8a865121b_o.jpg

ACCESSORIES

Almost as big a draw as the minifigures are the impressive accessories. None of these pieces have ever been made in green before, and the metal detector piece isn't very common nowadays (it appeared in a bunch of Mars Mission sets back in 2008). However, there are a few things wrong with accessories. First, I don't remember the metal detector being bendable, and now it is very bendable. The rifles are also slightly bendy, though not li the metal detector, and even the Indiana Jones rifles are not bendy. If you look closely at the walkie-talkie handles, you can see that that they are slightly messed up in places because the handle rubs apart as soon as a you put it in a figure's hand. You could say that LEGO was trying to be authentic to the movie figures by making everything bendy, but I think it's more reasonably a case of Chinese parts.

4193460456_896dc4c23c_o.jpg

You also get four stands, sure to be useful for displaying minifigures with LEGO-made pieces. These have a nice shape, and can be put down on studs, an extra plus.

4192701567_feac33e3db_o.jpg

Now for all the draws together in one pic: the minifigures loaded up with the accessories (minus the stretcher). Wonderfully green!

4192700055_05fc03ae21_o.jpg

BUILD

The jeep is a straight-forward vehicle, but here's the build anyway. Note the use of light bley tiles inside, those will become a design issue on the completed set, since the ruin the "completely green" feel of the vehicle.

4192701717_644a94901d_m.jpg4192701781_92116a2f0e_m.jpg

4192701871_91291345ff_m.jpg4193462678_f0c42aff2b_m.jpg

4193462758_ba73437de1_m.jpg4193462836_6b9a3cce76_m.jpg

4192702241_f87575c058_m.jpg4193462980_ed5bcfeac9_m.jpg

4193463052_8874647e4f_m.jpg

COMPLETED JEEP

There's no way for this jeep to be movie accurate, since there's no jeep in the movie to base it on. Still, I can assess if it looks good, or not.

First a 3/4 view. It looks good from this angle; small and cute, and plenty army-ish with its detailing and color scheme.

4192700585_68d0d311c7_o.jpg

Front. Now we get right into what's not so good. The body of the jeep look fine, but the chassis is too big and the wheels should not not jut out to six-wide. Maybe the jeep is designed with jutting-out wheels to look cartoony and extra toy-ish, but to me it just looks bad. This is one set that I really want to MOD to make the wheels fit with the four-wide body.

4192700379_784fec582e_o.jpg

Back. Again, nice details like green taillights and the extra wheel with tire, but it runs into the same problem of a huge chassis and jutting wheels.

4192700463_39dd4fb9ed_o.jpg

Side. This doesn't look so bad since you can't tell the wheels are jutting, but, as Svelte would say, you can tell it's quite a 'colorful' truck. Doesn't look quite as bad in real life, though.

4192700303_1bc8f7b2c3_o.jpg

Above. Doesn't look too bad from this tilted angle, but from straight above the jutting would be visible again.

4193461266_5d230306ed_o.jpg

Here's one more problem. It is visible with the wheels and chassis on too, but I took them off to demonstrate how the gray tiles break the continuity of the green, for no reason. The black on the truck blends fine, but there's no reason for this gray to be here. Besides, there are even some green 2x2 tiles in the set! Why LEGO, why?

4192700811_9141a30565_o.jpg

WHOLE SET + FUN

Here they are, our intrepid green army men idling about by there truck, ready for whenever the commander (Woody) gives a new order. Brilliantly green, I must say.

4193461740_6fd6304bb3_o.jpg

Now they're off on a mission, scouting out new presents, seeing what's up in Andy's home…

4192700939_eebc90aacb_o.jpg

Oh no! Man down by giant motherly foot! Quick, Medic, hurry to the scene with your empty briefcase and backpack full of imaginary medical tools!

4193460754_a5298df91a_o.jpg

CONCLUSION

This set certainly reflects a modern trend (in America, anyway) of "going green." Green this, green that… and now, green LEGO! What you probably wanted from this set was awesome minifigures and accessories in cool colors. Well, you got them, though the bendiness of certain accessories is just a tad of a bummer. The jeep wasn't even in the movie, but it's not so well designed. Yes, it's cute, and looks fine from most angles, but the front and back views look bad. I know, it's toyish, but I was disappointed with it. The few varying shades of green are also a bit disappointed. I'm not sorry about my purchase at all, but there are those certain "let-down" aspects that I can't overlook.

RATINGS

Parts: 6.5/10 - nice to get stuff in green, but color continuity is not so great and certain accessories are bendy.

Design: 5.5/10 - those wheels really kill it, along with the random light bley tiles. I would have liked some classic town wheels, those would have worked well.

Minifigures: 10/10 - no complaints here. Simply green and beautiful.

Playability: 9.5/10 - no enemies, but then, there were no enemies for the soldiers in the movie either. Even without flick-fires (sarcasm), I think there's plenty to do with a jeep and four green army guys.

Price: 10/10 - I don't know what the real price is, but for four minifigures and 90 parts, $10 or $13 is fine by me.

Overall: 8.3/10 - that's a low "B" where I come from, and that sounds right to me. While I still encourage everyone to get this set because the minifigures are awesome and it comes with green accessories, don't expect to be %100 pleased with it.

And now, the Green Army Men are off to hunt down all licensed themes and spread the message: Disney is in Town!

4193461938_70e81d9ca5_o.jpg

Well done! My brother also found them in the local Toys R Us (Madison WI) and grabbed me a few sets. My two boys are also anticipating getting a few for Christmas. Lets hope the have a Tan Army that comes out in the future if another Toy Story movie is made.

I voted it for average.

This is great set, cheap.

But, I am not interest to buy in large quantity to build army. I think russian soldier from Indy more better than these minifigs.

Back. Man, I want to slap the screaming kid. Not because he's a kid, but because he's screaming. No hating on kids here.

4193459398_545d7f3641_o.jpg

That kid reminds me of those "LEGO Maniac" adverts from the 90's! Great ads.

I'm not very impressed with the idea of using these minifigs for anything other than what they are intended. Can we possibly see a picture of one with yellow/flesh head/hands?

Thanks for the thorough review.

That kid reminds me of those "LEGO Maniac" adverts from the 90's! Great ads.

I'm not very impressed with the idea of using these minifigs for anything other than what they are intended. Can we possibly see a picture of one with yellow/flesh head/hands?

Thanks for the thorough review.

He does resemble Zack the Lego Maniac, but with added evil. :tongue: I am disappointed at the cheap accessories. There is no excuse for it besides trying to save money. I thought since there was that lead paint scare that TLG would avoid China. Apparently not. :hmpf: Good review as a ways Clone O'Patra. it is a nice little set. :sweet:

Even if you've got a green brick fetish, admit it, it's really the figs (and accessories) that drew you to this set.

Green brick fetish? *huh* AFOLS are very strange people. :grin:

Great review and thanks! :thumbup:

Though I am excited by having the "army figs" I had to vote average as the color quality in the Lego is poor, that and "bendable" parts scream cheap! Sorry Lego but some of us are tired of opening sets only to find different shades of brick colors. :hmpf_bad:

Ralph

Thanks for this perfect little review, Clone O'Patra! I especially love the composition of your last two pictures - the empty cased running medic on his green pedestal, and the hunting down of Licensed figs. Boo! Catwoman would finish them off with one crack of her whip, no questions.

The varying shades of green are disappointing. Again, it looks like LEGO has failed to rectify the problems which have plagued them for the last few years in the quality department. The many shades of brown were evident in Mariann Asanuma's Woody's Round-Up review, too :thumbdown: 'Colorful' indeed :laugh:

It is interesting to see the concept of the battlepack - 4 figs, small accessory - spread ever further beyond Star Wars. This is probably one of the best - a great mix of playability, figs and fun.

Green brick fetish? *huh* AFOLS are very strange people. :grin: [/b][/color]

fallentomato is the expert on green brick fetishes :wink:

It is interesting to see the concept of the battlepack - 4 figs, small accessory - spread ever further beyond Star Wars. This is probably one of the best - a great mix of playability, figs and fun.

I quite agree. I think LEGO must have seen how well the Star Wars battlepacks do, and decided to extend that. The only problem is, LEGO seems reluctant to make sets without main characters in most licensed themes. Indy has appeared in every Indy set, Batman in every Batman set, Spiderman in every Spiderman set, etc. I fear that LEGO will follow the same path with Prince of Persia, putting Prince Dastan in nearly every set.

Though they were unwilling to make a battlepack of Russians or Nazis or something like that for IJ, I am really quite happy that LEGO has decided to branch out in the Toy Story theme. While the big figs are made of crappy parts, LEGO is still catering to AFOLs by making an army battlepack, Western Town, upcoming Western-style train. I'm sure these sets will appeal to kids too, but it seems to me that LEGO knew adults would want lots of green accessories, and so they decided to make them.

Thanky you C'o'P for making this fine review!

Finally someone adressed the color problem. In the first review that came out a bit too short.

This set ist still a must-buy, but TLC could have done better:

The bendable accessories in my opinion are the reason for the different green in that pieces. :hmpf_bad:

And the use of light gray parts without any need is simply not acceptable! :angry:

I hope this is clearly adressed to TLC! (Ambassadors?)

After advent I'll change my sig to "STOP cheap Chinese plastic!" :sadnew:

..., and I foresee some interesting MOCs with the possibility of green faces.

:sick: ?

Here's one more problem. It is visible with the wheels and chassis on too, but I took them off to demonstrate how the gray tiles break the continuity of the green, for no reason. The black on the truck blends fine, but there's no reason for this gray to be here. Besides, there are even some green 2x2 tiles in the set! Why LEGO, why?

I'm guessing they do this - in 'invisible places' - to make the instructions easier for kids to read. Stacking a pile of green bricks apparently can make it hard to discern individual bricks. Another example where they did this is in the 7641 City Corner set: the bus has both a red and a blue 1 x 4 brick with studs on one side to define the front and back of the bus (I guess).

"You can see that that they are slightly messed up in places because the handle rubs apart as soon as a you put it in a figure's hand"

That happens to Muskets and Swords in the Pirates line, thats caused by different plastic

Anyway EXELLENT Review!!!

Fantastic review, good to get an RA review for this wonderful set. I am definetaly buying multiples of these, I love those green men. Can you say 10 copies/

Great review, however the color and bendiness thing worries me a little. Lego has always been very, very exact in quality and now there is these sets with such cheap plastic.

I will still buy one of these though, if only for the helmets.

Thanks for the review Clone O'Patra. :thumbup:

This set, I think is the best in the line of toy story sets.

The jeep is very cute. I found my self wondering if it could be made, alittle bigger and maybe some grey or tan added to make it a cute Indy jeep.

The figs soldiers look very cool. :thumbup:

Thanks again for the review!

CommanderFox

Edited by CommanderFox

Nice review of a good set. The quality REALLY troubles me too. One of the selling points of Lego has always been their quality and not being manufactured in China. Sad to see them do this.

And the use of light gray parts without any need is simply not acceptable! :angry:

I hope this is clearly adressed to TLC! (Ambassadors?)

The ambassadors have already complained about the color issues again and again. In any case, I've provided TLG a link to this review so they can read about the color issue and fans reaction for themselves.

I like this set a lot and I'll for sure buy myself a copy (and hopefully I won't be too disappointed about any color issues).

Nice review. I picked up a set last week, but haven't got around to building. I wish LEGO had made these in dark green though. They're just SO green. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for such a great review.

My uncle is very much favoures the green army men from Indy and this will be a good addition to his army (and a much cheaper solution to extend it). With a small replacements of heads and arms it will be easy to carry out.

Even if I am not so interested in the Toy Story theme, but this small set contains several possibilities to extend the City series. I already can imagine a small army camp close to the city or even a recruiting office in the town or the national guard as protecting the zombie invaded city... hmm... considerable issue to spend more money in the next year...again...

Great review. I will deffinatley buy this set. Maybe a few of these sets. I see great moc abilities in them, especially for aliens. :classic:

I also think the torsos will be great for soldiers.

Can we possibly see a picture of one with yellow/flesh head/hands?

Thanks everyone for your kind comments on my review. As an extra "thank you," here's the answer to your question chris_austin:

4197920239_462a7f88fa_o.jpg

4197920095_5c1657eca8_o.jpg

I think they actually work pretty well. My choice of yellow head could've been better I suppose, but all in all I think these minifigs could help make a normal, modern army. Enjoy!

Great review of what will be a very popular release this year. :laugh:

The wheels on the jeep are perfect having watch many episodes of 'Combat' in black & white and of course MASH in colour, those wheel look very similar to those on film or on tv. :grin:

I too would like to have an army base near my country town of New Mannum, something to work on eh ?

And in the army there is no such thing as too much green or tan - depends where they are fighting too.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments on my review. As an extra "thank you," here's the answer to your question chris_austin:

I think they actually work pretty well. My choice of yellow head could've been better I suppose, but all in all I think these minifigs could help make a normal, modern army. Enjoy!

Well done on adding the non-green heads, the "chin strap" is a great choice. I was able to get the last box that my TRU had on Friday (at the marked up price of $14.99) think I will wait until Target or even Walmart starts putting these on the self before I build up the army.

Ralph