54 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

indexed.gif

I was planning to start a project to review all the Unitron space series today, however I needed to go and buy some odds and end and I ended up in the lego store. One of the employees sidled over and asked if I was interested in the new Star War sets. I said I was and in a moment a new box of TIE Defenders appeared, I asked if I could have one and he said I could, so I bought it and now here's a review for all of you who aren't as lucky to have a Lego shop and an amazing staff who go out of their way to help you!

Finally we've got one of the starfighters that I've wanted Lego to produce ever since they started the Star Wars series. The Tie Defender, my second favourite star fighter after the Assault Gunboat maybe Lego would like to produce one next.

8087-14.jpg

Set Name: TIE Defender

Set Number: 8087

Number of Pieces: 304

Figures:2

Released: 2010

List Price: £39.99 (GBP) Others aren't confirmed yet.

8087 Peeron.com

8087 Bricklink Catalog

It shouldn't be out till January but lets take a look at it now!

Lets us begin with the box.

8087-01.jpg

I personally don't like the Clone War boxes but the Battle of Endor looks good.

8087-02.jpg

Showing the landed fighter being reloaded with missiles.

Now lets have a look inside the box, as with every Star Wars set we get a lot of Danish fresh air.

8087-03.jpg

The box opened up see all the free space.

8087-04.jpg

The contents of the box, nice numbered bays.

8087-05.jpg

And finally a picture of the all important instructions.

The Minifigs

We only get two, its normal for the licensed set to have less minifigs however I think that for £39.99 a stormtrooper and one Tie pilot even one with a new helmet is a little cheap, perhaps they could have included Grand Admiral Zaarin ?

8087-06.jpg

The Stormtrooper and the TIE Pilot included in the set.

Comparison of the old and new TIE Pilot

8087-07.jpg

Front.

8087-08.jpg

Side.

Not I huge difference the new helmet is nice, however it does mean that it's going to be expensive to replace the kit of your TIE corp with the latest models.

The Model.

Now lets looks at the model itself, as with any of the TIE models produced by Lego the build is going to be a tad repetitive but the box looks work it, so time to find out if the model is.

The first stage to complete is the central pods, here we have it mid build.

8087-09.jpg

Pod under construction.

The Wings

You're going to be building six of these however each of them doesn't take long and they don't look that bad when they're completed. These take up all the part that are provided in bag '2'

8087-10.jpg

Three of the wing part you've got to build six in total.

Now lets put them together

8087-11.jpg

When the wings panels are attached to the central section.

The complete model.

Finally with the wings added to the pod we have the model complete in all it's glory it looks great in my opinion, a well made set that looks like the ship we've seen in the X-wing series of games. I think this and last years Darth Vader TIE Fighter shops how far Lego have come since the first TIE Fighter.

8087-12.jpg

Front of the TIE Defender.

8087-13.jpg

Back view of the TIE Defender.

he Rating System

Figures: 7/10 (Not a bad selection nice to have a new pilot helmet but nothing special or amazing)

Parts 7/10 (A limited selection of parts.)

Fun Fun Fun 10/10 (Once you’ve built it there’s quite a lot of play and fun to be had here even a lot of swosihing)

Design 10/10 (Can’t fault Lego on the design looks just like it should)

Price 9/10 (£39,99, I was expecting more and I'm more than happy to pay this for this set.)

Grand Total 43/50 (A high rating but a fine set deserves nothing less)

Conclusions

As I've said it's one of the best Star Wars sets, I am biased as it's a ship I already love. Lego have come along way since the first TIE set they produced all those years ago. I like the new pilot though the set could have included a special minifig like Grand Admiral Zaarin though I understand that few people would know who he was. For once the prince seems fair for a Star Wars set in the UK which is odd or I'm just getting use to the prince, I'm certainly planning on getting a few more in the future.

Nice British review Cardinal. I'm glad you told us that 2010 sets are now showing up in stores in the UK. I can't get to a store without spending an extortionate amount of money and time on travel within the UK, but you know that anyway :tongue: The detailing in the minifigs this year is amazing - the new pilot resembles the 'real' one so much better than the old one (mainly in the shape of the helmet). High marks on the visual appearance and swooshability of the set from be (by the looks of your photos) but I agree - pieces aren't that special over the whole model

Is it as flimsy as people feared?

I don't think it's flimsy in the slightest, the wings don't use hinges but angled technic pieces so they're at a set angle, its damn well held together you could drop it and I doubt the wings will fall off. The flight pod does rotate around but I'm sure I can think of a way to fix that.

Thanks for the review, really appreciated seeing pics of this set :cry_happy:

I'm on the fence on whether buying this set, since I normally collect sets I see from the movies and Clone Wars series. But I'm thinking of buying it so I can turn it into a TIE Interceptor, which I missed out on.

Great review, makes me look forward to this even more. :thumbup:

The Tie Defender, my second favourite star fighter after the Assault Gunboat maybe Lego would like to produce one next.

I'd give my first born for an XG-1. It always tops my "dream set" list, glad to see I'm not alone :laugh:

8087-14.jpg

This made me smile deino2.gif

Glad to see you back into reviewing action. I am not exactly a TIE fan, since I don't really exactly owned any TIE Fighter/Advanced/Defender "yet". Personally, I find this design quite sleek looking, but I must go and search for the official illustration for comparison and checking out the purpose of this fighter aircraft.

Thanks for sharing it with us. :thumbup:

I don't think it's flimsy in the slightest, the wings don't use hinges but angled technic pieces so they're at a set angle, its damn well held together you could drop it and I doubt the wings will fall off. The flight pod does rotate around but I'm sure I can think of a way to fix that.

Excellent, it's gone up to a must buy now. Would have liked a new print for the pilot though.

I've also had a huge nostalgia kick with all the tie fighter homages. Too bad the game isn't on steam yet.

Thanks for this review of a set I been waiting a long time for. Fell in love with the Tie Defender since first encountering it in the old PC game Tie Fighter (I might be giving away something about my age?). Anyway, I'm glad it can sit on the wings and isn't flimsy. Definitely will get one ... maybe even two.

I persoanlly don't want this set at all, but I think they did a good job of creating it out of LEGO.

Smashing review too.

I voted average, becasue it is way overpriced.

Thanks for the review!

I can't believe LEGO is using the 'destroy rather than flatten' boxes for even mid-sized sets now :sick: Most annoying for those of us tight on space who prefer to keep the boxes flattened nicely.

I have mixed feelings about this set, it looks nice but there's just something missing and I'm not sure what it is. The figs have to be the best part in my opinion, especially the new TIE pilot helmet.

Good Review :thumbup:

Brilliant review, beforehand I really wanted the set, now that is confirmed and I will buy this set, no matter what. :)

I love the grey on the Tie's instead of the blue. And I <3 the Tie Defender.

Good one 'Cardinal Brick' thanks for a great review. :sweet:

Having like everyone else seen that footage on Youtube and cockpit does pivot too much, a good friend of mine has only one Star Wars set lined up for next year - THIS IS IT and it's his favorite fighter ever ! :vader:

I'm impressed with this one too, having built the interceptor in the past I prefer this one. :grin:

Has anyone noticed the tie pilots helmet has rebel helmet trimmings - the ridge front to back ? (or is it just me) :wacko:

Thanks again 'Cardinal Brick'. :sweet:

Great review. this set is okay, it's just that there isn't anything special about it, except the helmet. :thumbup:

Thanks for the review! Which lego store did you get this from?

I'm not overly sold on the Tie defender, but I'll probably pick one up to convert into a standard Tie (which amazingly I don't own).

I'm with you on the sand blue, Swash Buckler, but grey will do fine; standard blue was a bit much.

Great review but Im still not going to buy this set. The wings seem to be a bit of a boring build and quite easy. The only good thing about this set is the new TIE pilot which looks amazing and would love to see it 2011 sets (it seems so far away).

I believe I saw one of these for around $50 USD at a Toys R Us, but don't quote me on that number. I remembered it was on the expensive side though.

My friend works at a TRU in the States and says its $55.

Thanks for a nice review. I must admit I like the angles and sleek lines of the Tie Defender. I may pick this one up later along the line.

Cheers.

An Excellent review on one of these new sets Cardinal Brick :thumbup::wub:

It's great to see more pics of this set, It looks very nice, but I don't think it will be a buy for me as there are bigger better sets coming out later. :cry_happy:

Thanks for the Review!

CommanderFox

I saw this set and the Freeco Speeder at Toysrus last week, but I was hesitant to buy it because it cost about $54 USD. :sceptic: I don't think that's worth it for a 300 piece set.