Sign in to follow this  
Calanon

Some lego SW disappointments...

Stickers are acceptable EXCEPT when they cover two or more pieces.....that drives me mad ! Unless it's my imagination however TLC seems to be doing this less recently, so well done for that.

I also don't like the way TLC keeps re-releasing the same sets over and over, sometimes with minimal changes from set to set. I mean, do we REALLY need yet another Slave 1 in 2010 ?! I already have 3 different versions (more if you include minis). And the previous ARC-170 was only retired a couple of years ago - is it really already time for another one ? Bravo to Lego for the MIDI scale MF, however - OK, so it's still another MF, but at least it's sufficiently different to the previous 4 I've already got (4504, 7190, mini, UCS) to be interesting (i.e. different scale).

All minor complaints overall, however - I'm just delighted we keep getting more and more Lego SW sets year after year - keep 'em coming !!

Dr. D.

I don't mind the re-releases themselves as no one is forcing anyone to buy them, but I do agree that it's kind of absurd that in the summer Lego will have released 4 versions of Slave 1 and the snowspeeder while other sets that could really use upgrades don't get re-released. A better cantina as mentioned earlier comes to mind and there are other ideas that have been suggested as well which are really good like an addition to the cloud city set released in 2003 or a more complete Jabba's palace.

I don't mind the re-releases themselves as no one is forcing anyone to buy them, but I do agree that it's kind of absurd that in the summer Lego will have released 4 versions of Slave 1 and the snowspeeder while other sets that could really use upgrades don't get re-released. A better cantina as mentioned earlier comes to mind and there are other ideas that have been suggested as well which are really good like an addition to the cloud city set released in 2003 or a more complete Jabba's palace.

Actually it'll be 5 snowspeeders (4500, 7130, 7666, 10129, and the 2010 Wampa set) in the Summer, not including minis !! I'm less concerned when ships appear as part of bigger sets, however, as is the case for the Hoth Rebel Base and Wampa sets. It's when it's just the ship over and over again that it gets crazy.

I fully agree that there are some ships and locations crying out for a remake, and a few others that are begging to be made for the first time.

Dr. D.

The thing annoys me is the short cuts TLG makes, when a only a few more pieces would make it better, the stubby cannons on the X-Wings, only one seat in the Rogue Shadow (by far the worse since it makes the set miss out on the whole point of the ship in the first place).

usual things mostly for me:

- stickers (or my inability to be a 100% precise)

- inconsistency of minifigs (yellow, flesh, now pupils)

- total ignorance of some needed sets (cantina) and figures (CW Barc Clone, Padme, etc.)

But what really bugs me is the painted trousers. Why are there not more, especially (!) for the Parka / cold environment minifigs.

By printing the upper part of the trouser in the same colour as the body, it looks like a longer jacket. Perfect! Tatooine Luke has it. Even the one from 1999! But it would be needed for any Hoth trooper, Luke and Han - or also for snowy Anakin. Would look perfect.

Those things really annoy me too. If only the CW film and program weren't animated, maybe we'd have normal eyes! Which would keep a lot of consistency and make them look more like Jango Fett.

I just wish that lego would make another millenium falcon, because thats all I really want, please to god I hpe that will be made sooner rather then later, I.m pretty mad that we need yet another snowspeeder, but I always welcome new or improved ships from the OT,

what I can't stan the most is getting 8 seats in my AT-TE only to fil it up with one clone. I'm not saying TLG should fill the whole thin up but at least allow some one to drive while the other guy mans the turret, and one guy to sit back and relax in the troop bay, I'd rather have those then that oversized stap, what I'm trying to say is that if TLG isn't going to at least try to fill in those seats, then they might as well not have bothered to put them in.

I just wish that lego would make another millenium falcon, because thats all I really want, please to god I hpe that will be made sooner rather then later, I.m pretty mad that we need yet another snowspeeder, but I always welcome new or improved ships from the OT,

what I can't stan the most is getting 8 seats in my AT-TE only to fil it up with one clone. I'm not saying TLG should fill the whole thin up but at least allow some one to drive while the other guy mans the turret, and one guy to sit back and relax in the troop bay, I'd rather have those then that oversized stap, what I'm trying to say is that if TLG isn't going to at least try to fill in those seats, then they might as well not have bothered to put them in.

I believe that's what battle packs are for. :tongue:

Although, the Republic Gunship missing out two pilots was annoying, as there are no pilots in the battle packs.

Why would Lego waste a release slot with yet another MF ?! There's already a midi version AND a I think still a UCS version available now at retail, not to mention the retired sets 7190 and set 4504 with minifigs AND a mini set. That's 5 in 10 years..... IF Lego did release another 4504-sized MF, it would cost at least £100 at retail, and you can buy either 7190 or 4504 boxed on eBay for £75-125 now anyway, so your wish for a MF is surely answered ?

So if you're that desperate for a MF then visit the Lego shop today where you'll be able to get the midi one and possibly even the UCS one, or buy one of the retired sets from eBay. Easy.

Dr. D.

Why would Lego waste a release slot with yet another MF ?! There's already a midi version AND a I think still a UCS version available now at retail, not to mention the retired sets 7190 and set 4504 with minifigs AND a mini set. That's 5 in 10 years..... IF Lego did release another 4504-sized MF, it would cost at least £100 at retail, and you can buy either 7190 or 4504 boxed on eBay for £75-125 now anyway, so your wish for a MF is surely answered ?

So if you're that desperate for a MF then visit the Lego shop today where you'll be able to get the midi one and possibly even the UCS one, or buy one of the retired sets from eBay. Easy.

Dr. D.

They should make another Snowspeeder or X-Wing.

Why would Lego waste a release slot with yet another MF ?! There's already a midi version AND a I think still a UCS version available now at retail, not to mention the retired sets 7190 and set 4504 with minifigs AND a mini set. That's 5 in 10 years...

The midi is completely worthless and the UCS is far too large and expensive (it's also semi-worthless for use with minifigures as there is no interior aside from the cockpit). Both are display models alone and some of the requests may be coming from kids (heh, or even adults) interested in more than a model to sit on a shelf.

The Falcon is iconic of Star Wars and a centerpiece to any collection and yet Lego has given us only two system-scale versions of it. This is despite releasing FOUR versions, three of the same era, of an insignificant ship like the Slave-1. And don't forget that there have also been THREE versions of another worthless ship, the A-Wing. Combined these two vessels probably don't nab a full minute of screen time. The Falcon, by comparison, is prevalent in all three of the original trilogy and has ten times as much screen time in any one of the films as those two ships combined.

IF Lego did release another 4504-sized MF, it would cost at least £100 at retail, and you can buy either 7190 or 4504 boxed on eBay for £75-125 now anyway, so your wish for a MF is surely answered?

I suggest you check again. The retired sets routinely sell for considerably more ($250-$400 USD) than their original cost ($100 USD). You may be misinterpreting the cost because of the present value of the pound versus the dollar but the difference between the original MSRP and the going rate is very different.

I suggest you check again. The retired sets routinely sell for considerably more ($250-$400 USD) than their original cost ($100 USD). You may be misinterpreting the cost because of the present value of the pound versus the dollar but the difference between the original MSRP and the going rate is very different.

I've bought both 4504 and 7190 from Ebay within the last 2 months, so I speak from personal experience. 7190 cost me about £80, and 4504 around £105. These prices aren't much different from the original MSRPs. Both were complete, and the boxes and instructions were in pretty good condition (7-8 out of 10), although not MISB. Maybe you need to shop about a bit more ? I wonder whether perhaps you're quoting Bricklink prices, whch are routinely much higher than you actually need to pay to get these sets ?

Certainly if Lego were to remake 4504 I'd estimate a price of approx. £100 if the recent Tantive IV set is anything to go by. So the second-hand prices I paid are in fact very consistent with this, and so there's no reason for MF-lovers not to hit eBay and get bidding if they're that desperate !

I'd personally much rather TLG give us something new, or remake something which hasn't already been remade before.....

Dr. D.

I've bought both 4504 and 7190 from Ebay within the last 2 months, so I speak from personal experience. 7190 cost me about £80, and 4504 around £105. These prices aren't much different from the original MSRPs. Both were complete, and the boxes and instructions were in pretty good condition (7-8 out of 10), although not MISB.

And there's the difference. You're talking used sets, open and with the potential for missing, damaged or substituted pieces. You're risking getting a set from a smoking home (had that happen once because not every person who smokes thinks it's that big a deal). You're risking exagerrations about the condition of the set. You're risking battered boxes and tattered instructions. In other words, you're not getting new even though you're paying the original MSRP rate.

Maybe you need to shop about a bit more? I wonder whether perhaps you're quoting Bricklink prices, whch are routinely much higher than you actually need to pay to get these sets?

No, I'm quoting eBay prices but unlike you I'm taking into account the difference between dollars and pounds and not comparing the prices of new and used sets as if they were equal. You need to look and think a bit more instead of assuming the prices you paid for used are typical and the equivalent of purchasing new. They're not. Purchasing used sets always entails risk, especially on eBay. Missing, damaged, or substituted parts are a lot more common than you'd think even when sets are sold as "complete". It's just like the joke that is "MISB" which some claim means "mint in sealed bags" or "mint in separate bags" (if it's been opened, it's hardly "mint" and "separate bags" is meaningless so far as an indicator of condition).

Presently new copies of 4504 is selling on eBay for $250, $312, $335, $335, $350, $350, $390, $400 and $400.

Used copies of 4504 is selling for $70, $80, $81, $140 and $300.

New copies of 7190 are presently selling for $225 and $550.

Used copies of 7190 are going for $75, $145, $175.

Certainly if Lego were to remake 4504 I'd estimate a price of approx. £100 if the recent Tantive IV set is anything to go by.

In which case they'd be getting a set NEW in a sealed box. You're comparing used versus new and that's not the same thing. A new set for $150/£100 is not the same thing as a used set for $150/£100. If they want a new set, they're going to have to shell out $250-$400 USD for it.

I'd personally much rather TLG give us something new, or remake something which hasn't already been remade before...

And others would prefer the Millennium Falcon.

And what else will they remake from the original trilogy? Yet another Slave-1, another snowspeeder or another A-wing? They're remade nearly every ship/speeder already. If they're going to remake vehicles, they should remake an iconic vehicle which has only been made twice. It's incomprehensible that we have twice as many versions of Slave-1 or the snowspeeder than we do the Millennium Falcon.

I've always hated that the bigger sets crumble in your hand like soft cookies. And then they take days to rebuild.

WHOA! This topic has really heated up! :oh:

I think prof1515 knows what he's talking about. :wink:

For me, stickers are an inconvenience but not the end of the world, and minifig consistency does get annoying. What I really don't like is that in every new release, at least 25% of the new sets are remakes! Granted there may be new minifigs, or we may have NEEDED a remake, but it's time TLG started making new sets and new ideas more often. I mean look at the summer wave:

Hoth Wampa Cave: Not a remake, but another snowspeeder!!! :hmpf:

Plo Koon's SF: Not a remake, but it's the same Delta design we've seen over and over!

GG's SF: REMAKE

Palpatine's Shuttle: ONLY true NEW set

Slave 1: Do I need to say it?

CTT: A much-needed remake, but one nonetheless.

Sorry for that rant, I got excited... :blush::grin: And don't even get me started on Padme! :devil:

Something that's really disappointing to me is that so far the Star Wars sets don't have numbered bags. (Even the huge death star set didn't have them) Hopefully though, in 2010, the sets will have numbered bags, the Tie Defender does.

Spyder,

My son and I just put his Rogue Shadow together yesterday. One of the 5 Lego Star Wars sets that he got and we put together LOL. It had numbered bags also and man did that make a nice difference. I would love every set that size or larger to come in numbered bags!! It also really gave him the extra confidence to tackle it and demote me to assistant!

Spyder,

My son and I just put his Rogue Shadow together yesterday. One of the 5 Lego Star Wars sets that he got and we put together LOL. It had numbered bags also and man did that make a nice difference. I would love every set that size or larger to come in numbered bags!! It also really gave him the extra confidence to tackle it and demote me to assistant!

Seconded, anyone for thirds? :classic:

I was looking at my Orient collection and discovered that the boxes have grown enormously. Is that because Lego wants to display the sets better on the boxes?

I agree 100% with prof1515, If lego is going to make remakes they should at least remake the most iconic star wars sets. Not hand us our fourth slve 1 or our fifth snowspeeder, but a well deserved third millennium falcon in system scale. I also try not to use such sites as ebay because there is a big difference between buying an exaggerated second-hand old lego set online, and going to my local toys'r'us and purchasing a new unopened box and knowing in my head that when i get home i will be delighted by the site of unopened bags and the release of clean fresh air straight from the lego factory in denmark.

Seconded, anyone for thirds? :classic:

I was looking at my Orient collection and discovered that the boxes have grown enormously. Is that because Lego wants to display the sets better on the boxes?

My guess would be it's all about money. Bigger boxes means Lego can jack up prices because it appears that you are getting more. That's why the pieces of many boxes only fill up 25 percent at most. Of course getting a bigger picture helps show all the details of a set, but mostly the bigger boxes are so you don't feel like you're getting ripped off.

And what else will they remake from the original trilogy? Yet another Slave-1, another snowspeeder or another A-wing? They're remade nearly every ship/speeder already. If they're going to remake vehicles, they should remake an iconic vehicle which has only been made twice. It's incomprehensible that we have twice as many versions of Slave-1 or the snowspeeder than we do the Millennium Falcon.

But the 4504 is itself a remake. The A-wing has only been remade once and it is far superior to the original (the green version was just a bonus). Except for the new Slave 1 (which surprised me), Lego usually releases a yellow minifig version in the 90s, then a far superior remake with peach minifigs years later. For those who want a new Falcon, your best bet will be to hope that Lego does a 6212-style "special edition" (which was identical to the one with Yoda's hut) version of the 4504.

Imo, I'd rather Lego release new builds of new vehicles such as the Outrider which I feel is well overdue instead of catering to everyone who unfortunately missed out on a past set. There are sets I missed and would love a re-release, but this contributes to their exclusivity. If they remade the same set every year, it takes away the certain 'special' rarity and cheapen Lego to generic plastic bricks. There's no harm in having a wishlist, but just know that TLG's not obligated to make or remake everything we want.

But the 4504 is itself a remake.

Yes it is. Your point? Lego has done more than one remake of numerous vehicles (the snowspeeder, Slave-1, landspeeder, A-wing, speeder bike and vulture droids immediately come to mind). Aside from the UCS model (which isn't in keeping with the rest of the minifigure/system line in terms of scale or design), Lego has not yet done a Millennium Falcon with flesh minifigures.

The A-wing has only been remade once and it is far superior to the original (the green version was just a bonus).

Bonus or not, it's still there and hence if someone wants one they can get it. Same goes for the snowspeeder, the fourth of which is coming with the Wampa Attack next year. However, regardless of being a "bonus", the A-wing is still a barely-seen vehicle and barely warrants one version, much less three.

Except for the new Slave 1 (which surprised me), Lego usually releases a yellow minifig version in the 90s, then a far superior remake with peach minifigs years later.

Not true. The snowspeeder was released twice with yellow figures as was the landspeeder (the second time with the cantina). The speeder bike saw two different versions during the yellow-minifigure phase and even more if you count the three color variations (brown, dark red and white) of the second one.

Imo, I'd rather Lego release new builds of new vehicles such as the Outrider which I feel is well overdue instead of catering to everyone who unfortunately missed out on a past set.

There really aren't many vehicles left to make without resorting to Expanded Universe garbage. That stuff doesn't have the kind of identifiability and marketable value that sets like the Millennium Falcon possess. After all, what Star Wars fan doesn't want the Millennium Falcon? When you ask someone to name something from Star Wars, over 99% of people will say "Millennium Falcon" before they ever say "Outrider" and I'd wager over 90% of them wouldn't even know what the latter was (and even some of us that do couldn't care less).

There are sets I missed and would love a re-release, but this contributes to their exclusivity. If they remade the same set every year, it takes away the certain 'special' rarity and cheapen Lego to generic plastic bricks.

They're not remaking it every year. It's been 6 years since the last system-scale Millennium Falcon (and four years between 7190 and 4504). Also, why should a Millennium Falcon be a "'special' rarity" and not some obscurse thing like Slave-1?

Additionaly, they are "generic plastic bricks". The only non-generic bricks are those special ones with specific purposes like the Wookie head/torso or a Darth Vader helmet. There's no reason Lego couldn't redesign the Falcon for a re-release. Look at the speeder bike. It's seen three major designs (1999, 2002 and 2009). With new bricks available, the Falcon's design could be improved further.

There's no harm in having a wishlist, but just know that TLG's not obligated to make or remake everything we want.

Lego is in the business of making money. Simply put, a Millennium Falcon will make money and probably more than remakes of secondary vehicles like the A-wing or new vehicles based on obscure sources with far less appeal and visibility.

In other words, every freeco speeder and PloKoon's starfighter they offer is money that stays in my pocket. Sure, there are kiddies out there who watch the Clone Wars cartoon and want these but those same kids would love a Millennium Falcon too. Make a set that sells only to a portion of the market or a set that appeals to all? From a business point-of-view, there's only one good choice.

OK, OK Prof1515 - you don't need to respond (sometimes just a little too aggressively) to every single point made.... We get it already - you think we need another MF, despite the fact that there are already 2 different current versions on sale, and 3 further retired versions readily available on eBay or Bricklink in either new or used condition. The current versions are apparently "too expensive" or "worthless" because according to you they're the wrong size, and used retired sets also don't seem to be acceptable because they might have a piece missing.

Get over it. Lego has more than paid due homage to the MF (which I also love, incidentally). Even aside from the 3 retired sets and the midi set, the UCS MF is absolutely magnificent, as befits an iconic Star Wars ship, and should surely satisfy any MF fan.

You're entitled to your opinions (which I've read with interest) but so is everyone else, and just because others don't agree with you that we need yet another MF doesn't make them wrong.

Dr. D.

...you don't need to respond (sometimes just a little too aggressively) to every single point made...

I do if there are numerous errors to refute or points to illustrate.

We get it already

Apparently you don't as illustrated below.

...you think we need another MF, despite the fact that there are already 2 different current versions on sale, and 3 further retired versions readily available on eBay or Bricklink in either new or used condition.

Already went over why this argument doesn't hold water. You're comparing the proverbial apples and oranges.

The current versions are apparently "too expensive" or "worthless" because according to you they're the wrong size...

I'll repeat it one more time so read carefully this time. They are not system-scale. It has been over five years since Lego produced a system-scale Falcon. The same can not be said about many other vehicles. Since Lego seems intent on offering redesigned versions of vehicles they've already produced, it's more than time for a new system-scale Millennium Falcon.

...and used retired sets also don't seem to be acceptable because they might have a piece missing.

There's more than just missing pieces. Worn and damaged pieces and smoke smell are just some of the reasons that a used set is not a safe option.

Lego has more than paid due homage to the MF (which I also love, incidentally). Even aside from the 3 retired sets and the midi set, the UCS MF is absolutely magnificent, as befits an iconic Star Wars ship, and should surely satisfy any MF fan.

You don't seem to grasp the big picture though. It's not what I want, it's a matter of good business. There have been numerous posts expressing a desire for a new system-scale Falcon. Combined with the general popularity and recognition factor, if there's one system-scale ship that will sell it's the Falcon. The UCS isn't a system-scale set and neither is the midi. The minis aren't either. The only system scale Falcons were 7190 and 4504, neither of which is securely available for a reasonable price.

You're entitled to your opinions (which I've read with interest) but so is everyone else, and just because others don't agree with you that we need yet another MF doesn't make them wrong.

I didn't say that they're wrong for saying a new one isn't needed, I said their reasoning is flawed. They're entitled to their opinion but arguing that a new Falcon isn't needed because the old sets are easily obtainable or that there are suitable substitutes presently in production is a poor argument. Now, if they argued that next year should not bring a new separatist shuttle, that would be a reasonable argument since one is readily available at a reasonable cost. For those who simply want any model of the Falcon, the UCS or midi ones are fine. That's not the case for those who want a system-scale Falcon and Lego is missing an oppportunity by not releasing a new model.

As for me, I'm content if Lego doesn't release a new Falcon. That's just one less temptation to spend money on for nothing more than a new model for the shelf. If they did release a new one though, I'd probably buy it which is more than I can say for another Jedi starfighter or another snowspeeder. That says something about the commercial wisdom of producing a new Falcon since getting people to buy something is the primary goal of any business.

Edited by prof1515

It's not what I want, it's a matter of good business.

This is where you have to stop arguing. Unless there's something we don't know, you do not work in LEGO sales and marketing. Since you do not work in LEGO sales and marketing, you can have as many of your own suppositions as you want, but you don't truly know what is "good business" for LEGO, the LEGO sales and marketing people know what is good business for LEGO. Your argument boils down to that you want a new Falcon, you suppose many others and lots of children want a new Falcon, and that LEGO is long overdue to give us a new Falcon since it's been many years since a system-scaled Falcon was released. And you know what, you're probably right. The Falcon is iconic, and, just like every other LEGO SW set, I'm sure it would sell quite well. Perhaps we shall see one soon. Maybe next year. Maybe 2011. Who's to say, but it's very likely since LEGO does like to remake sets.

And now that you've made your argument numerous times, I think it's time to let it rest.

I agree with Clone O Patra, argueing over the internet doesn't help your case, you've made your point in amny different ways and shown your views, now it's up to LEGO to do what is best for their comapny profit wise.

Don't get me wrong I'd love a proper scal falcon too but man, I feel like I said this a few pages ago.

If anything I'd prefer them to remake Jango's slave I, rather than Boba's slaver I again. We needs a fleshie Jango!

On the subject of the Falcon, although I too would love a system scale Falcon, we'll just be patient. They will probably release a system scale one once the UCS is off sale.

Some new Ep II stuff...

Yes it is. Your point? Lego has done more than one remake of numerous vehicles (the snowspeeder, Slave-1, landspeeder, A-wing, speeder bike and vulture droids immediately come to mind). Aside from the UCS model (which isn't in keeping with the rest of the minifigure/system line in terms of scale or design), Lego has not yet done a Millennium Falcon with flesh minifigures.

The 4505 was released with only flesh figures, only the prototype blue box had yellow, if I recall it was the first set to feature flesh mini figures