New Eyes!

Do you like the new eyes?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new eyes?

• No!
    • Yes, much more detailed faces!
    • I could care less, but I'm curious.

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

So what's the big deal? It looks really weird when you put the old and new minifigs next to each other, but what I'd like to know, as I really don't care, is why they changed it anyway.

So what happened? What do you think about it?

Edited by KimT

Mixed feelings to be honest. :sceptic:

I prefer them, but now they don't go with the rest of my collection with plain dot eyes. :cry_sad:

Edited by The crazy one

Finally Star Wars catch up with the rest of the themes! :thumbup:

I really like this type of head with reflection points in the eyes. All themes but Star Wars have had them for several years now and I think they are far superior to the plain dot eye ones. There is much more detail in the new faces and it's easier to make reconstructions of real persons as minifigs.

So I'm all for this change and I think the change came because of what I mentioned above.

But then, I'm not a SW collector so I haven't got many dot eyed heads anyway. But it's good from a larger perspective I think. :classic:

They look better. A simple aesthetic change that brings a greater degree of visual appeal to the figures. Yes, they won't match the old ones, but the same thing happened in a more drastic fashion when the shift was made to flesh from plain yellow. So really, people that are too worried about the change should keep in mind that it could be much, much more drastic.

Finally Star Wars catch up with the rest of the themes! :thumbup:

I really like this type of head with reflection points in the eyes. All themes but Star Wars have had them for several years now and I think they are far superior to the plain dot eye ones. There is much more detail in the new faces and it's easier to make reconstructions of real persons as minifigs.

So I'm all for this change and I think the change came because of what I mentioned above.

But then, I'm not a SW collector so I haven't got many dot eyed heads anyway. But it's good from a larger perspective I think. :classic:

You need to think INSIDE the box here Etzel!! Inside!

But you have a very good point of view... Outside the SW box.

When to use the Fleshie figs in any kind of Mocs as you did with Pirates, then it sure is very good use for them.

Or any other Moc that is in a what-ever-team... Theme!

I do agree with The crazy one, mixed feelings for sure. The classic faces in SW, Will they be getting this as well eventually?

I am talking about Leia, Han, Luke and so on. How about Prince Of Persia, do they got those reflection marks?

Need to get me updated on fleshie faces.

I still go with mixed feelings, and will not vote for any of the above examples.

So really, people that are too worried about the change should keep in mind that it could be much, much more drastic.

Like the horried Clone Wars faces you mean?

Personally, I love the new eyes. I just wish they could keep some consistency, it's really hard to keep a good looking army when the eyes differ so much. Especially with the clones.

I don't get it either. What's the big deal about one tiny white dot in the eyes? I like the new kind because it adds a bit more three dimensionallity to the faces, and I think that's why Lego changed them - simply to make 'em look better.

I really don't understand the problem here with new dotted eyes. I have many Star Wars minifigures and for most of the same reasons Etzel pointed out I am happy about improved faces. Change is good.

:laugh:

And you narrow minded SW nerds needs to realize that there is a whole world of LEGO out there. :tongue:

No seriously, I can understand that it's frustrating with minifigs that don't fit together. I don't like mixing flesh and yellow minifigs and although I really like both of them I wish LEGO could decide to just stick with one of them.

When to use the Fleshie figs in any kind of Mocs as you did with Pirates, then it sure is very good use for them.

I do agree with The crazy one, mixed feelings for sure. The classic faces in SW, Will they be getting this as well eventually?

I am talking about Leia, Han, Luke and so on. How about Prince Of Persia, do they got those reflection marks?

Need to get me updated on fleshie faces.

I still go with mixed feelings, and will not vote for any of the above examples.

Like the horried Clone Wars faces you mean?

Prince of Persia does have those reflection marks/pupils...

I hadn't really notice the difference. I just use them all together, mixed. But now I know it, I think I'll see it much faster and that I won't combine them as I used to do. However, as not everyone is the same in the real world, I guess not everyone has the same eyes in LEGO world. :tongue: It causes diversity, which is good.

Nice idea for this thread Darth Legolas :thumbup:. I prefer the 'dot eyes', they give the minifigs more character and make them look better. I have no problem with mixing these minfigs in as most of the time I'm looking top down not at their level. Even when I do noticed their faces up close I have to problem still, I like the diversity.

Are we talking about the little white dots in the eyes?

Personally, I don't like them. They're not more realistic, since no one has black surrounded by white in the eye. Its the other way 'round. I don't like how some faces have them and other faces don't.

That being said, it doesn't bother me too much (not nearly as much as the fleshtones), unless I'm doing a MOC where multiple faces are important. Then I don't want one character to have the dots and one not to have them.

Steve

I love the new eyes, I feel it brings a whole lot more realism to the minifigure. The problem is the change itself. Just like the fleshies don't look good alongside the yellows, the new eyes look weird with the old eyes. Same with the grey/bley issue. Lego needs to make all their minifigs alike. All new eyes, or all old eyes. Like I said, it's the change that really makes me angry.

I don't mind them and don't exactly care as well. It's just showing that the minifigure is evolving and star wars needs to go with the flow of it. I don't get why you guys are complaining about a little dot but don't when they give a minifg a new torso.

Whoops, I accidentally voted "No!" because I thought you were talking about CW eyes vs. dots. :blush: If I could, I would change my vote to "I could care less" because like Oky Wan said, one square millimeter of white doesn't change much for me. Dots eyes will be good ol' dots eyes, as long as they're not CW faces.

Actually, I haven't noticed that the eyes have changed. Could someone please provide a pic of one and tell what year this changed?

I voted for the honest, but true option of "I could care less."

From the distance I look at my Lego sets and MOCs anyway, it makes close to no difference to me. Fleshies and yellows, on the other hand, are a whole other non-discriminating story.....

Well, I love the clone heads, and most other new ones. I agree that they go better with the rest of the LEGO line.

I do however hate the anakin and obi wan head, they look goofy.

Overall, I'm for it.

I am holding back my vote, til I see the new Landspeeder set. Judging by the pics we got so far, it is difficult to see if they have the old eyes or the new ones. Someone said they use the old eyes but I am not too sure. That would mean Discontinuance in one year, what is strange.

If they use new ones, it means that all the other minifigs will get new faces and they don't fit anymore to the ones from last year or the years before. Discontinuance again.

So if someone with a big collection likes them to look all the same, you have to make a choice between staying with the old style or changing the old ones into new ones, using Batman and Indy heads for the ones not available.

It is weird and strange. I really like the newer heads, like them on my Indy and Batman figs or on MOCs, but it seems strange when they are standing next to the old style ones. So if you want them look the same way, I ask myself, where the heck do I take all the heads for my rebel troops from?

I guess I will depend it a bit on the Landspeeder, and I hope it will give us the old style Ben and Luke used in the Death Star and UCS MF. If not, I will buy the Death Star.

Are we talking about the little white dots in the eyes?

Personally, I don't like them. They're not more realistic, since no one has black surrounded by white in the eye. Its the other way 'round. I don't like how some faces have them and other faces don't.

That being said, it doesn't bother me too much (not nearly as much as the fleshtones), unless I'm doing a MOC where multiple faces are important. Then I don't want one character to have the dots and one not to have them.

Steve

I think they meant to show the lights/sun reflected in the eye, because that's what seems the main reason.

I don't really mind the eyes of the current minifigs; both the old ones without dots and the new ones with dots are fine. The change haven't bothered me at all and i'm a little surprised to see that some complain about them.

:laugh:

And you narrow minded SW nerds needs to realize that there is a whole world of LEGO out there. :tongue:

No seriously, I can understand that it's frustrating with minifigs that don't fit together. I don't like mixing flesh and yellow minifigs and although I really like both of them I wish LEGO could decide to just stick with one of them.

That´s why I wrote this as well :wink:

Prince of Persia does have those reflection marks/pupils...

Thanks for that Darth Legolas!

I could vote "Couldn´t care less" as well. I have no problem really to mix dot-eyes with the non-dot-eyes.

Just wish there was more consitancy all over.

I really don't like the pupils on SW figs. I don't hate pupils but all the other SW figs have dots. If TLG would have switched awhile ago it wouldn't make much of a difference but we've been getting dot eyes for 10 years with 1 exception. I've kept mine with pupils. I should be able to manage. I don't know why TLG would change the eyes after 10 years. I just hope the Landspeeder figs have dots like the previous version. I don't know why TLG would make a new print and just add pupils.

I really don't care much for the eyes or general design of generic Star Wars minifigs - Clone Wars or regular heads doesn't really matter.

New heads can be bought easily and since a lot fo my figs are equipped with yellow heads, it's already a mess :laugh:

Now the Clone Wars heads on Dooku, Anakin and the rest of the entourage is a whole different story - but that's mostly because I don't care for the Clone Wars animated series.

OT all the way :tongue: