Sign in to follow this  
Cian

Hacking PF in to the RC trains

traintech1.jpg

Has anyone tried MODing the two "RC" trains to use Power Functions like the Emerald Night? I've got both of them here and seeing as RC could easily have started and ended with them, it'd be interesting to see if they work on the newer gear...

The massive solid chassis are, I suspect, going to be a serious hindrance for doing this.

Edited by TheBrickster

Has anyone tried MODing the two "RC" trains to use Power Functions like the Emerald Night? I've got both of them here and seeing as RC could easily have started and ended with them, it'd be interesting to see if they work on the newer gear...

The massive solid chassis are, I suspect, going to be a serious hindrance for doing this.

To use PF, I would start with an ordinary carriage base rather than wrecking the RC one, as it's an expensive custom part.

PF uses a different IR frequency to RC. PF is so much more versatile that I wouldn't need RC anyway.

It is possible to send the RC codes from an NXT with the IR Link sensor. The same is true for PF, so you could have a common NXT controller.

Other than that, there's no point modding RC to use PF. Once you've installed a PF IR receiver you might as well go all the way and install the PF battery box as well, hence no need for any part of the RC chassis.

One thing to be said for RC - it's a ready-to-run system with all the parts in one box. Therefore it's easier for the "instant gratification" generation. I wonder whether one of the PF trains next year will be all in one box for that reason. Parents might struggle to pick the 5 extra sets plus track to go with the Emerald Night, unless they all appear in one pack, as they did initially.

Mark

One thing to be said for RC - it's a ready-to-run system with all the parts in one box. Therefore it's easier for the "instant gratification" generation. I wonder whether one of the PF trains next year will be all in one box for that reason. Parents might struggle to pick the 5 extra sets plus track to go with the Emerald Night, unless they all appear in one pack, as they did initially.

And that's no different from the 9V system which also came as a ready to run system (4511, 4512). There were also engines without motor and track (Santa Fe, BNSF) in the 9V system like the Emerald Night now. So I've no doubt next year there will be PF trains that come as a complete set with track.

Hello,

I began to experiment with converting both 9v and RC trains to adapt the new PF features. I played around with my BNSF trains, but with the compartment being so small, it's hard to fit in a PF battery. So, I've decided to mess with the Metro-Liner and the RC trains. I don't hold a master degree in Electric Engineering, so if my conversion seem a bit odd, bare with me.

20954_225749899373_710384373_2959875_4733301_n.jpg

^ Basic RC motor seem a bit weak, so I attached an additional 9v motor to give it more power.

20954_225758429373_710384373_2959915_7313979_n.jpg

^ I couldn't install the battery, PF IR reciever, and wiring inside the engine, so I had to attach a B-unit.

20954_225761524373_710384373_2959928_2658723_n.jpg

^ Metro-Liner conversion. Everything was able to fit inside the main Engine.

Long story short, I am able to control both the RC and 9v with the PF IR controller, and if any of the train lands on the 9v tracks, it can be powered by the track.