Sign in to follow this  
cagri

Power Functions For Trains - XL Motor vs M Motor ?

traintech1.jpg

Hi all,

Some of you will remember my recent MOCS, I've been working on a slightly smaller scaled cargo train. Regular 9V train motor is too big for my engine so I had to make one myself - will post pics here once finished. I built the chassis of the engine but I have doubts about using a Power Functions M Motor. Emerald Night used an XL so I wonder if M could carry all cars? I'll have 4 light(ish) cars plus one engine. The problem is, if I use the XL motor it'll be a huge chunk to cover and that'll result in an ugly piece of engine. M motor on the other hand will fit properly but I have doubts about the pwoer it can provide. I don't have the chance to try them now and I can't buy both just to see how it works out. Any advices?

According to test in Raiblricks M-motor si not powerfull enough to pull more then one carriage when powering Emerald night. Situation could change with smaller locomotive without all those mechanism around whels, but you must also have in mind that M-motor is faster than XL and you will have to additonal gearing.

I think that there is no other way but to try it. And please let us know. M motors are much cheaper and easier to get than XL motors (which are only in Bulldozer, Dino and new tecnihc truck)

I'm not surprised the M motor doesn't work well on the Emerald Night. The gearing is wrong. I was planning on building a little train MOC later today, so I will try the M and XL motors. I built a steam engine a while ago, and the XL motor worked much better than the M motor. I think the main reason was weight, since the M motor wasn't heavy enough to provide traction. I suspect that the M motor will work for you with the proper gearing and some ballast, but I can't guarantee it. I'll try to post some more info later today or tomorrow.

I used two M Motors for my BR50 because they were easier to hide than one XL motor. The drawback was double the gearing and wires. Worked like a charm when it was done though.

I used two M Motors for my BR50 because they were easier to hide than one XL motor. The drawback was double the gearing and wires. Worked like a charm when it was done though.

What kind of gearing did you use to get the right balance of speed and power with the M motors?

UPDATE: An engine with one M motor connected directly to the truck from this Railbricks post will pull the Metroliner Club Car and two Santa Fe cars, but it only works with the proper weighting and the o-rings like Railbricks suggests. I had to position the PF rechargeable battery almost directly over the driving truck to get enough traction, but the heavier normal battery box should give better traction.

Edited by soc399