Sign in to follow this  
Pellaeon

Shipwreck Links, Hole 3 (featuring micro-scale Eldorado Fortress)

4145860231_fe8090ee4b_o.jpg

To summarize the goal: roll the ball under the fortress, down the hill, across the bridge, and into the hole.

Just teeing up, it's a nice pirate lady with her son. With the collapse of the gem market, a little leftover treasure makes for good golfballs. :pir-laugh:

4146619800_e40097a300_o.jpg

In the picture above you can also see how they've dressed-up the putt-putt course a bit amidst the old ship's wreckage -- a makeshift hull and even a fake cannon, for the kids.

Over on the other side, we can see the boy's father has putted first, and seems to have gotten his ball stuck under the fortress.

4146618232_954ddb5668_o.jpg

Chalk it up to lousy maintenance -- they are pirates, after all.

On the lower level, Brickbeard and a redcoat captain are finishing up the hole. Beware of the water hazard.

4145858925_334dc6fed1_o.jpg

It looks like the redcoat captain is a lousy putter... splash, rolled right into the drink!

4146668728_4aee12d9c8_o.jpg

Brickbeard laughs, as his lead grows to 3 points.

Lastly, a close-up of Eldorado Fortress. It's one of my favorite sets (and one of the few I still have built), and I'm pretty pleased with how the micro version turned out.

4145908931_6919843d57_o.jpg

I don't have any of my old bluecoats with me, so a printed flag will have to do. At least I didn't use a redcoat flag!

This MOC a companion to my small entry, which MOC'ed up the 7th hole with a much steeper hill.

I hope you enjoyed. More pictures can be found on my flickr. The other pictures include an overhead view, so you can marvel at how obsessive-compulsively I've ensured the ship's ribs all line up. :pir-tongue: Comments and criticism welcome.

[updated 11 pm with better photos]

Edited by SlyOwl

Run Pellaeon! Once Tereglith sees this, his iron-cast bat is surely coming after you...

...because this is definitely a wonderful golf course! And with the inclusion of water, bridges and (gasp) the Eldorado Fortress in microscale, it should definitely provide some stern competition to the other golf course in town.

Now then, as to the pros and cons in my point of view...

+ Eldorado Fortress. In microscale!!! As kris_kelvin can confirm, we all love the ol' Fortress and its inclusion here is definitely a very smart move!

+ More minifigs = more varied action, it's really enjoyable to see that you've thought of some new challenges along the course and the respective response of golfers to those.

+ I like the fact that there are more ribs here, it gives a better sense of completeness. I wonder then how depicting a full ship hull might look...

- Golf course -- again. Not "again", as in apart from Tereglith's entry, but "again", in terms of this being a repetition of your Small Division entry. I'd dock some points for originality here, but golf is obviously quite popular with seamen whenever they're not busy fighting each other.

- Hole 3 could perhaps have been in the fortress itself - with the ball (excuse me, gem) falling down once it's putted. Or is it supposed to be that way? I can't really see the hole there...

Cheers & good luck!

P.S.: post edited to make that point about the hull more clear ;]

Edited by TheOtters

I think you are doing a great job on the midgetgolf-game entries. They are original, funny and well built. I love the small eldorado fortress, it looks very accurate! :pir-wub:

Perhaps some more work on the ship's hull would be nice like TheOtters said.

Good luck at the contest! :shark:

I have to admit it, your golf hole is better than mine! Bravo, excellent job. I particularly like the water hazard. And no, I won't kill you with my staff yet (unless you have a large entry up your sleeve that involves pirates misguidedly digging for treasure. Then it would be instant death).

Wow, that micro of Eldorado is perfect.

This is pro :thumbup:

Good Luck

Ratshot :monkey:

Thanks for the kind words everyone, and for not threatening me, Tereglith. :pir_laugh2:

+ Eldorado Fortress. In microscale!!! As kris_kelvin can confirm, we all love the ol' Fortress and its inclusion here is definitely a very smart move!

As they say: know your audience. :pir-laugh:

- Golf course -- again. Not "again", as in apart from Tereglith's entry, but "again", in terms of this being a repetition of your Small Division entry. I'd dock some points for originality here, but golf is obviously quite popular with seamen whenever they're not busy fighting each other.

That's definitely fair criticism. Of course, the irony of losing a few points for unoriginality on this one is that this was my original concept, and the other was a "proof of concept" and insurance in case this one didn't get finished. :pir_wacko: I'm sure both will lose votes for being too much like the other... :pir-tongue:

- Hole 3 could perhaps have been in the fortress itself - with the ball (excuse me, gem) falling down once it's putted. Or is it supposed to be that way? I can't really see the hole there...

The ball is just rolled straight under the fortress, as some of the pics on flickr show more clearly. I really hope I have time to take better shots in the morning, as I'm really not too pleased with the ones I've got... I'm just not successfully communicating everything I need to in any 6 pics I've taken.

I didn't come up with a plan for a "drop through" green inside the fortress that I was happy about, so I went with the straight pass-through. I do like that it's sort of realistic, because who hasn't seen a mini golf course where they have some awesome miniature castle/house/fort/lighthouse/etc, but all you do is roll the ball under it?

Edited by Pellaeon

The micro Eldorado Fortress is really well-done. I like all the action on such a small area. But... I thought this was a replacement for your original golf course entry. Wasn't that one 'forced' into the medium category as well?

(1000th post, yay! :pir_laugh2: )

The micro Eldorado Fortress is really well-done. I like all the action on such a small area. But... I thought this was a replacement for your original golf course entry. Wasn't that one 'forced' into the medium category as well?

With a few tweaks, that one made it into the small category, so currently I'm entering both.

Haha, great MOC, lots of fun detail. I wish I had an array of fun faces like alot of the EB members do, they really bring MOC's together. The mini eldarado fortress is great, looks like a hard hole.

I also changed the dad's pose, so he's doing something a bit more in character.

Why am I not surprised :pir_laugh2:

Regarding that suggestion about Hole 3 - I just thought that would make the hole tougher to get in one shot, is all. Simply passing the gem under the Fortress just sounded a bit too easy. But then again, it doesn't have to be an expert golf course now does it :]

Putt away! :pir-laugh: