Sign in to follow this  
Infomaniac

The Slippery Eel

4140363041_57517ed79d.jpg

Revenge! The redcoats are executing their pirate prisoners, to avenge their fallen comrades. All seems lost for the pirates as the last three of the crew line up down range of the imperial muskets. In a last ditch effort Peg-leg Pasco kicks a banana peel under the foot of his executioner and jumps off the side of the building into the churning seas below. He begins swimming for land with one thought on his mind, Revenge!

Other than that small story, this is a normal day in the city filled with fishing, toads, drinking and much much more

4140363321_ba73b1e5f1.jpg

The city is built around a fortress, hence the walls.

4140364473_6323d3ffe4.jpg

An overview of the second level of street. This area is a fish market because of the close proximity to the water front.

4141123200_57ec3244a1.jpg

Peg-leg Pasco jumping off of the top of the prison. You can still see his handcuffs.

4141123958_715e56c09b.jpg

An officer finds his new recruits, who were supposed to be on guard duty, on the top of the bar dead drunk. I guess men can never resist the urge to drink :pir-classic: .

4140365141_74ee69396a.jpg

Thanks for viewing and good luck to everyone else in the contest.

Links: Flickr

Edited by Erdbeereis

Tis entry is just so <3 I love how the rocks look. They looks o natural and perfect. The round walls are awesome and I love all the tudor houses. You added some great mini scenes. The only thing I could suggest changing is the amount of plants and other green stuff. I feel the total creation is a little bit grey. Some platns and flowers or so would look very very lovely.

~Bart

Great build Infomaniac, and a marvellous little town!

I'm not sure I like the whole hanging & shooting thing - especially seeing as the contest is supposed to represent peaceful times - but then again, I guess there's not any significant level of gore or violence actually going on there, so I can't say anything. Still - I just don't see this as being a "peaceful" town or a MOC dedicated to peace and fun in any way.

That aside, this MOC is obviously very nice and has some wonderful assets...

+ The waves! Best waves I've seen in a while, especially when used in such a large-scale MOC.

+ The fish store's awning. Innovative use of those door pieces!

+ The colours of the buildings are perfect, go together well and make for a nice and vivid town.

+ The double curve of the fort looks real fine - even though I think it should have been a bit taller in order to provide real protection.

Now for some nit-picking:

- The gray round 2x2 elements that can be seen on walls here and there - what are they supposed to represent? Or are they just included so that the walls don't look plain?

- Peg-leg Pasco's hands should be pointed up, towards the sea - after all, he's somehow gotten rid of his handcuffs and if it were me, I wouldn't want to hit the water with my head first, not if jumping from that height!

- The captain who's just found out his soldiers are sleeping on the job - how did he get up on that roof and why is he positioned on top of all those trans-clear plates?

To sum it all up - perfect creation, even though it's not too peaceful. Nice substories too. A top-notch contender! Good luck :)

One of the best presented and layed out entry so far. Lots going on with some nice landscaping of the cliffs. The town has a quaint feel to it which i like. My only concern would be to add some more trees and general 'greenary' to the scene as it is very grey. But thats just a small thing. Excellent work all round!

Wow this is a wonderful waterfront.

I love how you made the whole wall on the right in 1 style, and the height differences in the buildings are great too.

Good luck in the contest! :thumbup:

Wow, I'm a bit out of this forum these last times but I can say yours is one of the best port dioramas I've ever seen here. Not especially because the magnitude of it or the building techniques but because of the magnificent lively feeling you can see everywhere, not a centimeter has been left without details, so great job! :thumbup:

I really like the wall and those buildings are pretty nice as well. I would have left out the hanging scene, ... but that would be a personal preference, I know a lot of pirates fans can't resist a bit of violence here and there, :pir-tongue:

There are some great entries in the end of this contest, and this is very, very good :pir-cry_happy:

Good luck in the contest.

This is a really nice entry Info! Lots of nice buildings and greatly posed figures too. The only thing for me is the over greying of the whole thing, its not meant to be rude as I can appreciate the shear amount of work that went into it, its just a personal preference. Wish you the best of luck for the comp.

This is definitely one of the better PTV2 entries I've seen.

Great landscaping job for the coast line and nice integration of the walls and town with the landscape.

This looks very realistic, almost like a picture taken from a real town!

Hi there,

I love the wall, the buildings and all the little stories you've got goint on. Good work.

One question though what's the grey circle assembly supposed to represent that's on several of the buildings?

stan

One question though what's the grey circle assembly supposed to represent that's on several of the buildings?

I was also curious about that... could you please enlighten us, Infomaniac? :pir-sweet:

Awesome entry! :pir-classic: I like a lot about it, the curved walls, the jumping pirate, all the busy minifigs, the houses and some nice details like the torso of the drunk soldier.

And I also like the gallows :pir-skull:

So it's a fine entry and good luck in the competition!

Epic entry infomaniac! seriously epic! I love the round tower and it general looks, and the amount of details is impressive! the only thing you could have done to improve it was a detailed interior for the building, but with the amount of things you put outside the buildings, you didn't really need to do it ! XD

This is a great entry, like a few other entering this contest.

The amount of buildings in this "little" corner is really great.

And the different styles give them all a great touch of reality.

The only thing I wonder is the big gate to .... umm... yeah gate to what? Is this the gate for undesirable town guests, so the ones that were not already hanged or imprisoned? :pir_laugh2:

Hey guys,

Thanks for the ideas and critique. Those 2x2 rounds are supposed to be some sort of rough stone, which breaks up the gray walls a bit. There is a lot more of that on the tan building's base. It looks way better in real life, because the shadows make it hard to photograph.

There wasn't meant to be too much occurring violence in this scene, and the people in the gallows were dead long ago. Imperials used to keep the dead bodies of pirates displayed for the public to see, as a warning to all. However, that part of the entry is not the main focus.

The big gate was actually a leftover from a previous idea. I wanted to do two towns that were connected by a drawbridge which had been at war for some time but had just come to peace. Naturally the opponents would've been the redcoats and the bluecoats. Alas, time and space became an issue so I scrapped that idea, but couldn't remove the door. :pir-tongue:

-Infomaniac-

I love the way all the minifigs are showing some sort of action... It gives the moc movement... The buildings and walls are great and the techniques are very well done. Great entry.

Alas, time and space became an issue so I scrapped that idea, but couldn't remove the door. :pir-tongue:

Good thing you kept it too, it's a real eye-catcher. Would love to see that two-cities-project come to fruitition some day, especially given your expert MOCcer skills!

Thanks for clarifying on those round pieces. I thought that you'd included them as some sort of detail to break up the gray bits - and they do work nicely. I was however thinking that the effect would look even better if it were inverted - i.e., if the round pieces were not on top, but instead showing up from beneath the top layer, a bit like the "bricks inside" technique.

As to the gallows, you're right, those add realism to the build - I was just saying they're not the most peaceful detail here, but that's not a problem whatsoever :) Good luck mate!