Sign in to follow this  
Pellaeon

Shipwreck Links

th_thindexedgif.gif 102d

Shipwreck Links, Hole 7

Version 2, by Pellaeon

Pillage the Village II: The Calm After the Storm

Small Category

With peace comes ample free time, and less of a need for secret coves and island hideouts. So, the pirates have come up with an obvious solution: convert Shipwreck Hideout into a putt-putt golf course. It's fun for the whole family!

4138695497_92d9a0e257_o_d.jpg

Rotting hulks make for exciting and varied courses.

4138695601_28ff4886d8_o_d.jpg

The view from above. Looks like it's started to rain (for real).

4139457184_b74aa80958_o_d.jpg

It's the lady's turn. With the collapse of the gem market, a little leftover treasure makes for good golfballs.

4139469456_3a67b95665_o_d.jpg

Imagine the course would extend off behind her. :pir-sweet:

4139456886_4a6d455ed9_o_d.jpg

What the...? Hey buddy, no cheating!!

4138695223_b45aa39c75_o_d.jpg

I hope you enjoyed. A couple more pictures can be found on my flickr. Comments and criticism welcome, of course.

My original version can be seen on flickr. It was ruled to have too much overhang, so I've shortened the green a bit. I also gave the kid a shave. :wink:

Update 29/11/09: Please also be sure to check out Hole 3, my medium entry.

Edited by SlyOwl

This moc sure is lovely! I love the use of the sand green in stead of regular green. I like that you used different parts for the golf clubs. The steep golf hill looks very very lovely. I would love to see this MOC as a medium division entry. It sure has potention, and in my opinion could only get better if it got bigger.

Good luck in the competition!

~Bartb

Oh I forgot to tell you I really like the gems for golf balls! I read in another topic about the overhang of your MOC. I think it's ok as it is. I don't think this should be a medium entry as it is now. You could make it bigger and then add it to the medium entries. But as it is now I would still say it's a small entry even with the overhang. But this ofcorse needs to be confirmed by one of the people which organised the competition.

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!

^Reason for above

*breathes deeply and counts to ten*

Okay, now that I've got that over with, this is a nice little entry. I like the mast, it adds a lot to the shipwreck look, and your SNOT putting green is very good. The pirate cheating is a good idea, if I do say so myself.

The one thing that's confusing and slightly disturbing is the kid thing. Is it a midget? Is it a five-year old with a gland problem? Is it a pod person? Please find a different head.

Best of luck in the contest, but PLEASE don't follow the others' advice and make it a medium.

Ah, more pirates playing golf! Seems like that's their favourite pastime now that peace has come to them :)

I really think the "overhang" looks great here - it opens up the entire MOC and makes it look so much better. I hope the jugdes decide that it's fine for you to use, although I don't really think they'd consider this an issue.

While I'm not too sure about using the gems as golfballs, I guess it would make for a fun (and much harder) contest. I wouldn't want to be the one breaking a diamond all because of a too hard swing though!

Best of luck in the contest :)

Clever idea pirates playing golf! the over hang looks fantastic although who is the disturbing short person is it a midget or a little kid. :pir-sceptic:

The pirate cheating is a nice touch it goes with the personality of pirates. :pir-oh:

The snot turned out great and looks excellent :pir-classic:

Good idea making the diamond's as golf balls but I wouldn't want to lose one on too hard a hit :pir-grin:

Hope you have the best of luck in the contest :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! The staff have said the overhang is a bit much for a small entry, as I'd feared. I'm going to try pulling out a row of the sand green bricks without making it look overcrowded, and I'll give the kid a shave. I hope to post updated pics later today.

I would love to see this MOC as a medium division entry. It sure has potention, and in my opinion could only get better if it got bigger.

Good luck in the competition!

I actually have a medium-sized mini-golf entry in the works, both as a back-up in case this small one doesn't work out, and to feature a "centerpiece" that I'm very excited about. Stay tuned! :pir-grin:

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!

^Reason for above

:pir-oh: I can't believe I didn't see this! I didn't think anyone else had done a straight-up putt-putt MOC yet... guess I didn't go back enough pages. I like that your's has a second level, like some indoor mini-golf places will have, and I guess "great minds think alike" as far as the cheatin' pirate goes. Anyways, I'm sorry about that Tereglith... and I'm afraid I do have a medium-sized one in the works. But good luck to you, and to everyone else who's doing a putt-putt based PV2 entry! :pir-tongue:

Next time, I'll go with my original plan for pirate bowling...

Edited by Pellaeon

Wow, I'd thought that losing a row of bricks would have made this MOC feel too cluttered, but it definitely doesn't. Hopefully you're now in the clear with this entry's sizing! I like the fact you've taken care of that weird kid with a beard... It looks much more like an actual kid now - getting him to wear his dad's hat backwards is a very nice touch :) I see you've also decided to use hammers as golf clubs for all the participants, not a bad decision.

Just beware with that medium category golf entry, you don't want to piss off Tereglith too much or he might be coming after you with a golf club in Ratshot's next MOC featuring the C-P community :pir_laugh2:

*looks up from sharpening wings of cast-iron bat on staff*

What? Why would I do that? Golf clubs are far too sloppy :pir-skull:

*goes back to sharpening*

Just kidding! I wouldn't begrudge you any if you made a better Medium Golf MOC than I did. After all, it's an open contest. You'd just better hurry if you're going to, time is running out...

(And I would be very honored to have my sigfig featured in any sort of MOC, even if I was committing a blunt-object murder :pir_laugh2: )