Sign in to follow this  
pedro

[MOC] Techno Union Tri-droid

indexed.gif

Hey everyone,

To celebrate my 500th post I wanted to build something a bit special. There’s so much awesome material to work form in the Star Wars universe and the Clone Wars series has seen some fantastic new additions to the repertoire of vehicles and droids we know and love.

So after building my AV-7 from the battle of Christophsis, I decided to dip into C.I.S. territory and build a Techno Union Tri-droid!

+++ Techno Union Tri-Droid +++

tri-droid_00.jpg

tri-droid_01.jpg

+++ Side +++

tri-droid_08.jpg

+++ Close-ups +++

The Tri-Droid's spherical head...

tri-droid_04.jpg

...and yes, it does spin!

tri-droid_07.jpg

tri-droid_06.jpg

+++ The Tri-Droid towers over all! +++

tri-droid_09.jpg

Anakin drops in for the attack!

tri-droid_05.jpg

I stuck closely to reference from the Clone Wars film, and equipped it with heavy laser cannons as opposed to artillery cannons. It’s still somewhat a work-in-progress as between taking the photos and posting them I’ve been thinking about alternate ways to connect legs to body - so it can stand on it's own - and other different design tweaks. For now I’m fairly happy with how it looks. Now I just need ADHO to make this 'legal' in his Clone Conflict game... :wink:

More photos are here when moderated. Let me know what you think, comments and criticism appreciated as always!

Edited by KimT

I think it looks pretty good, especially when comparing it to the movie version.

Not my favorite droid but I love to see anything SW crafted in LEGO.

Great job!

I must say a really great Moc pedro. :thumbup:

I really like your designe of the sphere.

A shame it can't stand by itself.

the Inventor

Fantastic, pedro! :thumbup:

It looks so good and accurate. Maybe the best I've seen.

Very well done. :sweet:

Congrats on becoming an EB Knight too, by the way. :classic:

Unfortunately, Bricklink is unavailable for the time being as regards uploads

Hello again!

you mean BrickShelf I guess. :wink: I also find that annoying but there's not much we can do about that as it's a free service.

But anyway, the Octuptarra Tri Droid turned out very nice! :classic: The little tips and spikes at the leg hinges are clever and suit the original well! :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Cheers for the feedback everyone! To address a few points:

A shame it can't stand by itself.

Defo! Adding a stand was pretty unavoidable with the construction technique I used, but I'm already thinking of an alternate way to joint the legs without harming the aesthetic too much. I'm also working on my section of the EB community Venator build too and coming up with alternate landing gear for my Z-95. Got a lot on the go at the moment! Was planning to kick some reviews into gear too.

Congrats on becoming an EB Knight too, by the way.

Thanks very much ADHO! I already have my shiny new badge! :laugh:

you mean BrickShelf I guess. I also find that annoying but there's not much we can do about that as it's a free service.

Oh yeah! A quick edit will correct that. Brickshelf users the world over are probably sulking at the moment.

Cool thing, very accurate from what I know.

The only Tri-droid I ever built was a Droid Tri Fighter alternative.

It is nothing compared to this though.

That's probably the closest you could get to the real (real? Uh oh...) thing using LEGO bricks! The way you've done the legs is incredible, but I can see why it can't support itself as a result.

Great moc Pedro and congrats on becoming a knight as well.

The Tri droid looks awesome, the best I have seen ever! The head looks really great, its a great technique to make a circle. I really like the colours you used especially the blue it looks great.

Great MOC Pedro! :cry_happy::wub:

I Have really wanted Lego to release one of these since I saw them in the CW movie.

This is exactly what it would look like, I recon. :wub:

Very Very well done! :thumbup:

CommanderFox

Brickshelf is rockin' again, yey!

I've updated the first post with some pictures. Enjoy!

Wonderful job. :wub: This is definately the most accurate version (that I've seen) to date. :thumbup:

How did I miss this gem :wub: Its very good and spherical, and looks like it walked right out of the movie. The second to last picture is great. It looks so imposing and intimidating :thumbup: Happy 500th

Thanks for the comments!

This is simply increadible. I'd very much like instructions.

It's pretty complex, I don't really have time to make instructions, sorry. I'm going to attempt another version (when I get the chance) that doesn't rely on the stand. It'll be a bit of a lbut I devised a way and just need to builf it.

This is incredible Pedro! I mean this is very awesome and accurate.

I'm curious since you say it's too complicated to have instructions for the whole thing. I've been really wondering how people ddoo the tecnique for the head? If you could maybe show a cross section of that.