1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding!

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

4112935776_24185b3974_b.jpg

The set may be for 2010, but I found it at my local Toys R Us just yesterday and since no one else has done it yet I decided to do a review. Let's start with the box art. Above you can see what the front of the box looks like, if you haven't seen it.

Top of box

4112935474_de4172f260_b.jpg

Back of the box. You can see in the picture that there are 5 different types of the ring element.

4112168579_af59f21457_b.jpg

I've always loved LEGO's underwater themes and this one doesn't disappoint. :pir-wink:

Unopened bags

4112166889_f67357894c_b.jpg

Sticker Sheet

4112163557_b7915c72c3_b.jpg

New elements

4112931692_62a3bea944_b.jpg

New ring element

4112931238_6cf1fb539c_b.jpg

Diver (notice the printing on the legs and feet)

4112164643_ca2fc0f46c_o.jpg

Diver in full suit

4112931398_8c02ccfb8c_b.jpg

Back of Diver

4112164447_2ea19898ba_o.jpg

Diver with Ring Element

4112931108_79f7448a6f_b.jpg

For those of you wondering (I was) -- Back of Ring Element

4112164111_f3fa761874_b.jpg

Parts list

4112165903_e8b039b2d6_b.jpg

Built Set.

4112165051_63f80045b9_b.jpg

I don't put the stickers on, sorry.

The mouth of the shark can open, his side fins can bend and move.

Pros:

Lots of new elements

Low price, $15 (USD)

Great price to parts ratio

Very cool model

Cons:

The new large tooth element is made of the bendy plastic. (Its a small complaint though) :pir-tongue:

The tail on the shark looks rediculous! But I can't complain too much about that either since you get 2 1x12 yellow plates because of it.:monkey:

Bottom line, for a $15 (USD) set this is an excellent source of new parts and an impressive model. :thumbup:

You can read more of my views on this set on my Model Building Secrets blog.

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed and poll added

Hey, thanks for the great review :thumbup:

Atlantis looks really promising, something I may keep my eye on.

The fig is top notch (always nice to get another scared face) and those new barb/tooth parts look great. They look like they're made of the softer plastic muskets are made of - ?

Hey, thanks for the great review :thumbup:

Atlantis looks really promising, something I may keep my eye on.

The fig is top notch (always nice to get another scared face) and those new barb/tooth parts look great. They look like they're made of the softer plastic muskets are made of - ?

Thanks SlyOwl. :pir-laugh:

Yes the new tooth element is like the long spike triangle pieces from Exo-Force.

Great review :thumbup:.

This new theme looks to be OK however I'm not liking the shark. It's too technichy and needs fleshing out a bit.I expect the other creatures from the other sets will be similar.

EDIT: Oh yeah s there any purpose for the ring?

Edited by Skipper 24

Great review.

What's does the ring do?

Does it have some kind of play feature?

These giant creatures in these sets are intresting to me.

And to answer the above posters questions, I belive the key thingy opens the gate in the big atlantis set the one with squidman.

Thanks for the review, Mariann! :thumbup:

Sadly I remain unimpressed. The helmet makes the figs look bald and that shark is a hot mess. Only the head even looks shark-like; the rest of the body looks like a barbed tadpole :tongue: I much preferred the 07 version with its more naturalistic shape and colours. I can't say I'm fond of the new teeth and barb pieces :sceptic: - I liked it when Lego introduced the tooth plate and the Viking horn, but these new ones just seem to be designed so that as the models get ever larger, the dentistry on these creatures matches!

Although the shark is dissapointing, the fig looks good, and what a wonderful review of a new 2010 set.

You should check out the reviewers academy, you have a nack for reviewing :wink:

Function of ring may be seen in this set:

brickset 8061

You don't think the'll include lights do you?

I hate when LEGO makes the box look so much better than the actual set.

Apparently they are keys.

Heh, I WAS wondering about the back of the ring. Nice to see it has a stud. Also nice to see another sticker hater....

Hmm, I suppose this contains pretty much what I'd expected, though the soft rubber is a pain. Hope they don't start making all their pointy bits out of that stuff.

I know that this is the only review of an Atlantis set, but so far it looks too much like previous underwater themes. The focus seems to be too much on divers against creatures instead of divers against an underwater species. The same thing happened with the Viking theme.

As you said, underwater themes are always excellent, and this set is great too. Awesome review BTW :thumbup:

Function of ring may be seen in this set:

brickset 8061

That doesn't really make sense - do we need to buy all 6 sets (or however many have keys) to open one Gate? :wacko:

That doesn't really make sense - do we need to buy all 6 sets (or however many have keys) to open one Gate? :wacko:

I think it's just kiind of like the Atlantis themes thing. Each set will come with one and probably different colors. I don't think you'd need any to open the gate, except the one the set comes with.

I think it's just kiind of like the Atlantis themes thing. Each set will come with one and probably different colors. I don't think you'd need any to open the gate, except the one the set comes with.

I know; I just think it's odd that the purpose of the treasure-hunters is to collect these things if they don't really do anything.

In comparison, for example, each of the Agents Missions had a separate objective which made sense in the context of the narrative of the theme (jewels, treasure map, laptop, laser weapons etc).

Wow, this set (which is really just a shark) is horrible!! The Aquaraiders shark from a few years ago is a lot better than this one. I' definitely not gonna be purchasing this set.

Great Review. I'm not a big fan of the set but I like the pieces. So I might get it just for that. :classic:

To all who are asking about the triangle key:

• They come in many sets.

• Their only current function is looking pretty and opening the Octopus Gate.

• It's entirely possible that future sets will have functions (possibly more than one per set, who knows?) that need the keys to operate.

• It's my belief (backed up by the new key pics) that they work something like this.

Anyway, the shark's jaw is a bit too skeletal and TECHNICal for my liking, but I do like that the curved-pin-connector-spikey-pieces are on more than just the Octo Gate squidthing.

Those new spikes are hawt. :3

Nice review, the pictures were a little big though. I like the new pieces like that treasure piece, the fins and the new head. My only complaint is that i'm fearing that the Atlantis theme will turn into another Aqua Raiders. :thumbup: Overall, nice review.

Definitely will grab one for parts.

Especially those new spikes, and I really like the Minifig head; the surprised side is nice, and it seems almost unisex, as well as fitting for children.

[-TA-]

Thanks for the review. :classic: This set actually doesn't look that bad to me, in fact I think it adds some variety to the line. 15 USD isn't bad, either. The ring isn't exciting, really, but the fig is what interests me. A new double0sided head print, and a neat helmet. If I happen to spot this one, I'll get it. :thumbup:

That ring thing is pretty stupid. Why does Lego come up with such dumb treasures? Think of the manufacturing costs and molding effort that must have been put into making such a lame accessory.

Simple treasure would have been so much better.

Steve