Admiral Croissant

PtV II "Captain CaLego Jack in heaven"

th_thindexedgif.gif 101c

Updated

dsc03946g.jpg

dsc03949z.jpg

dsc03950p.jpg

dsc03952r.jpg

Captain CaLego Jack has been a pirate for most of his life. So in the end he got hanged.

But instead of going straight to hell, he sneaked into heaven. There he began a new life.

He is now friendly to other people and drinks tea with them (like in the MOC).

But deep inside he is still the same pirate that he has always been. In my MOC we see how death himself comes to get CaLego Jack so he finally goes to where he belongs. Of course Jack doesn't want to go to hell so he hides himself behind his cup of tea :pir-sceptic:

I want to thank Captain Greenhair for inspiration.

I didn't have a lot of time and good bricks for this so I'm not sure if I can adjust a lot of things, but comments are still welcome.

I will add more pictures on brickshelf later, because I can't upload them there right now.

Edited by SlyOwl

I didn't have a lot of time and good bricks for this so I'm not sure if I can adjust a lot of things, but comments are still welcome.

Well I personally don't think there's too much to adjust anyway! The simple yet innovative approach of this MOC is really brilliant - you've brought the "two-stor(e)y" construction to a whole new level here mate :] And now we also know how heaven's gates look when built out of bricks... The use of minifigs (and cats!) there is also absolutely brilliant. I guess Santa takes a break to drink tea in heaven when he's off duty (i.e. during 355 days of the year :D) I also really enjoyed the Captain's Hawaiian shirt :pir_laugh2:

All my suggestions are just tiny things that wouldn't change the way this one looks, because I really love it :)

Here's what I think you could add though, to make it look EVEN better:

1) The gallows pole could have been a tad bit higher - I'd suggest adding two or three additional brown bricks.

Actually, back in those days, pirates were hanged and left to rot in an iron cage in order to ensure a slow and painful death while hanging above the heads of people at crossroads, town gates, etc. That way the authorities thought they could scare the regular folk (to death!) from the notion of commiting crimes. Didn't really work though... Anyway, that's just a (rather grim) thought - but I think that look could be achieved by using a net piece - of course, that is, if you want it to look like this. I'm only suggesting it because I think that way the contrast between his ugly death and the funny scene in heaven would be even greater.

2) If you have enough parts (white curved plates would work best, I guess), I'd suggest making the base of the "heaven" story look like actual clouds. I think that would look absolutely brilliant! In any case, I really feel you need to take away the outer layer of blue bricks and trans-blue tiles, they just don't look appropriate.

3) In case you own enough blue bricks, actually building the blue wall out of these bricks might be a good idea. That way you could also incorporate some other designs into that - such as, perhaps, clouds or something else.

Regardless whether you consider these ideas or not, this MOC is still going to be a wonderful contender, at least in my eyes. Best of luck in the competition Admiral!

*snip*

Very good work and nice idea :pir-tongue:

EDIT Bonaparte: Please don't quote an entire post with several pictures for giving a one liner response. Well, don't do it even if you're responding with 20 lines. Just us the reply button, not the quote button because that will make a thread very annoying to read. Thanks!

Very clever idea. The backstory really sells this.

I don't think your lack of bricks deterred this scene at all. :pir-classic:

Seeing this wonderfull MOC I only have one question: aren't people reunited with their chopped off leg when going to heaven :pir-laugh: ?

Much luck and fun with the contest.

This is a nice and simple MOC. A shame the white bricks are so yellow... It would be great to see some flower strems near the gallow.

~Bart

To 'The Otters': thanks for your suggestions.

I was already planning to make real clouds but I just didn't know how. Maybe I will find out later on.

The iron cage idea is good but I think a net doesn't really look like a cage. Maybe I do something with black ladders.

But I think it might be better without a cage so you can see the pirate better.

I will look for more blue bricks, if I find enough I will make the wall out of bricks.

To Zorro: (uh..how do I explain this...) Well...the pirate was supposed to go to hell en there it is just nice to have a wooden leg because it burns better :pir-sweet:

To Badboytje: That's also a good suggestion because it's still a bit empty near the gallow.

Also thanks for all the other comments! :pir-classic:

Thanks to some bricks from Cpt. Blackmoor I have been able to adjust some things to my PtV entry:

I've made the cloud more 'cloud-like', I have added a flower and I have made clouds in the background.

So here are the pictures:

dsc03946g.jpg

dsc03949z.jpg

dsc03950p.jpg

dsc03952r.jpg

And finally: could someone change the title of this topic into something with 'updated version'?

Nice wall :pir-wink: The update looks very nice, I like how you've followed up on that cloud idea and turned the second "level" here into a cloud :) My idea regarding the depiction of clouds in the wall was to use plates and cheese tiles as parts of the wall and incorporate some subtle SNOTting so that those clouds would actually be built in the wall. But seeing as you obviously don't have too many blue pieces at your disposal, I guess this works fine as well. The wings on the back of the captain's friend up in heaven also look appropriate - but I was wondering, have you considered using a couple of these as wings instead? I think they would look much more... celestial :pir_laugh2:

As to the "ground level" of your MOC - I like the addition of the rat and I also feel that the corpse's improved positioning is much more adequate and realistic. To be perfectly honest though, I never thought that putting a flower there would look appropriate, especially not beneath a gallow. So I don't think it works well - if anything, it distracts the viewers' attention from the hanging corpse. I understand that you're afraid that the space underneath the gallow would look empty, but at the end of the day... that's just how it is, after all - it's a gallow, the space around is supposed to be empty and uninteresting. You could have added some dirt or stones instead, but after all, it's your call and if you like the flower there, you should definitely keep it.

Edited by TheOtters

Nice improvements Admiral! I see you've put my bricks in good use! The clouds work very well for me, the clouds in the blue background are simple, yet effective.

I have to agree with TheOtters, but on the other hand a flower fits great in there. Perhaps the wife of the hanged pirate laid flowers there. Or perhaps there are already so many corpses buried under the gallows, the ground is very fertile. I think some other colours instead of plain green would do a nice job though.

Nice work Admiral! And good luck in the contest! :thumbup: