Cooper

MOC: Dark Red & Tan Coaches

traintech1.jpg

After building my Southern Pacific Cab Forward, it seemed only appropriate that it have something fitting to haul. As a result, I built a set of three passenger coaches, one of which is a dining car. The main body of each coach is 7 wide by 44 long.

One of the passenger cars

4107385661_22633ddd31_o.jpg

The Dining Car

4107385617_7fa60ebf9f_o.jpg

SP Cab Forward with the coaches in tow

4108201026_26e71c7663_o.jpg

More photos on My Flickr

Looks wonderful. I really like the wood effect of using plates for the lower sides of the carriages. The design influence of the Emerald Night carriage seems to be there too - I like how it is adapted for 7-wide (must do this for my own Emerald Night carriage). The Loco is impressive - I'm not very familiar with American locos (although I have a couple of books with them) but it looks quite unusual. Quite envious of all those driving wheels!

Just some views of someone only starting to "dabble" in Lego trains!

Very nice Coop! I love the colors. Red and tan always reminds me of the LGB starter train; although your wagons are certainly a more realistic length to go with that fantastic Cab Forward. And not only have you made one of these beauties, but three - that's what LEGO should have offered with the Emerald Night. Excellent and front-paged. :thumbup:

Great overall looks, and I really like this colour scheme.

Dark red and tan is one of my favorite combinations.

It seems you had to use quite a number of dark red plates

under the windows :classic:

Thanks guys! :classic: And thanks Brickster! :blush:

The plates were used under the windows intentionally to make a nice consistent texture throughout the side of the coach. I really can't say that I'm a fan of the 1x2 grille bricks, and smooth sided bricks didn't seem to fit with the look I wanted either. JMO, but I think the plates do a very nice job of creating texture (especially given some of the plate to plate color variation).

Dark Red and Tan seemed to go together naturally. That said, as Brickster pointed out, the color scheme seems to recall Set 7740 (at least to me, that's the set that seems the closest). Also, I'm in complete agreement that the EN should have come with more coaches.

The larger size and the Dark Red/Tan were both done to essentially take the EN coaches, the 7740 color scheme, and push them in a more AFOL direction.

EDIT: Updated with Interior Photos

4109860893_5ce3deb0ec_o.jpg

4110624760_2bfc4a00f7_o.jpg

4109861001_ef23a71cb7_o.jpg

4110624710_6c59377413_o.jpg

Edited by Cooper

Thanks guys! :classic: And thanks Brickster! :blush:

The plates were used under the windows intentionally to make a nice consistent texture throughout the side of the coach. I really can't say that I'm a fan of the 1x2 grille bricks, and smooth sided bricks didn't seem to fit with the look I wanted either. JMO, but I think the plates do a very nice job of creating texture (especially given some of the plate to plate color variation).

Dark Red and Tan seemed to go together naturally. That said, as Brickster pointed out, the color scheme seems to recall Set 7740 (at least to me, that's the set that seems the closest). Also, I'm in complete agreement that the EN should have come with more coaches.

The larger size and the Dark Red/Tan were both done to essentially take the EN coaches, the 7740 color scheme, and push them in a more AFOL direction.

These are very nice coaches, similar to what I have in mind for a future project (when I can afford more tan windows). Have you ever looked at German trains or catlogues? That could be why the colour scheme seems right. It's the colour scheme of the first class TEE (Trans Europe Express) coaches, used for a few decades by DB the German Federal Railways. It's also most likely one of the influences of 7740. Most of the other grey era 12V stuff also looks similar to German prototype colour schemes.

Incredible. I love the engine and the coaches, especially how you used the red plates to create a wood panel look on the coaches. Very nice mixture of colors as well. Great job!

Very nice interior - I think the double seating works OK even with the only 1-wide gangway - it makes for a more "full" looking train from the outside if you were to put more people in.

Nice coaches!

Like others have mentioned, those were the colors of the original TEE, which inspired the 7740. Of course, dark red and tan weren't available in 1980.

If I counted right, they're 12 studs longer than the regular Lego length for such coaches (28 studs). Do they take curves well?

Very nice interior - I think the double seating works OK even with the only 1-wide gangway - it makes for a more "full" looking train from the outside if you were to put more people in.

Exactly. Seven wide seems like a pretty reasonable width. The only real downside I see to the aisle being only 1-wide is if you're actively trying to "play" by "walking" minifigs down the aisle. Otherwise, it's a pretty nice solution since seats can go against the windows on each side. Plus at 7-wide the coaches are still of a scale that they could work with my smaller engines too.

If I counted right, they're 12 studs longer than the regular Lego length for such coaches (28 studs). Do they take curves well?

They are actually 16 longer. They take curves and switches just fine. There is a little overhang in corners, but nothing to me that looks ungainly. My articulated Cab Forward overhangs quite a bit more in corners than these 44 long coaches do.

Over the past few weeks I have added three more Dark Red and Tan Coaches, bringing the total to 6. All together, it's starting to look like a real train. I don't have photos of everything together yet, so I'll start at the front and work to the back...

Engine: Power Functions Southern Pacific Cab Forward - more photos and video on Flickr

3955551169_3d5c502492.jpg

Baggage Car - more on Flickr

4151396335_4036b1c639.jpg

Sleeping Coach - more on Flickr

4178349434_32e67ab0a5.jpg

Passenger Coach (Qty =2) - more on Flickr

4107385661_dcc1dda8df.jpg

Dining Car - more on Flickr

4109860893_a7efe84c9e.jpg

Weathered Passenger Coach - more on Flickr

4178164169_4bc4189344.jpg