Sign in to follow this  
Ratshot

Skeet Club

Once a rival, always a rival! Hello everyone and welcome to my PTV II Larger entry, a skeet club. Here's a link to an article about skeet shooting for all those that don't know what it is. I thought that this would be a rather unique entry.

Here goes......

Once the war ended the generals suffered from something called "Post war syndrome". Its basically a long lasting hatred of there former enemies. After visiting the crazy house a few times they received there treatment plans.....to hold contests regularly between the different factions troops. For instance, if the Redcoats won, there General would most likely feel better. The first contest was a skeet tournament to see who had the best shots among there ranks.

4100707553_a8f1ff1366_o.jpg

An overview of the tournament.

4100707515_d2b020ced1_o.jpg

You can see the Generals in the stand stuffing there faces with food.

4101462910_5fbe2431ed_o.jpg

A heated betting mach. Notice Big Cam on the right, hes sweeping up "Brownie Points". He made a comment about me scoring some "brownie points" with the Shipyard do to my Medium Entry.

4101462766_33c6078ddf_o.jpg

This guy wants to mess things up, dirty troublemaker!

4100707649_221f79b117_o.jpg

A certain CP.com member (Me) being chased by some lovely ladies, I don't mind :thumbup:

4101462978_9f113369be_o.jpg

A beggar helping himself to some of the grub that was intended for the Generals, Notice that the Pirate thinks that its funny (The beggar is my favorite Pirate minifigure of 2009 :wub::pir-wub: )

Sorry about the bad lighting :pir-blush:

All comments welcome! :classic:

There are a lot of things going on in here, filled with funny things which I always like.

I like the roof with the tan 1x1 round bricks, but the cones look a bit out of place. The captains/admirals in the building are nice, some tiling on the small wall in front of them would be nice.

Perhaps some details on the shooting range. Some fences, other colours dirt...

Good luck at the contest! :shark:

Good job! I like all the little details you have running about in there! One thing I would suggest is yo have a trans-piece of some sort, to hold a "skeet" in the air to look like it flew!

I do not get it. What's the contest? Is it a shooting contest or an eating contest or a pic up girls contest? Anyhow. There are some nice details in this MOC. The one thing I really don't like is the amount of brown used as floor.

~Bart

I do not get it. What's the contest? Is it a shooting contest or an eating contest or a pic up girls contest? Anyhow. There are some nice details in this MOC. The one thing I really don't like is the amount of brown used as floor.

Let me explain it to you like this.....peace has been declared, but yet the generals still hate the other factions. (Redcoats hate Pirates, Bluecoats hate Redcoats, Pirates hate Bluecoats ect.) The Generals argue over who had the best soldiers/fighters, so to see who has the troops with the best skills, they hold competition's, the prize is the bragging rights, otherwise the Generals can say they have the best troops. Understand now?

Regarding the amount of brown: I don't have enough pieces in any other color, and I don't have any trans parent colors.

Thanks for the comments :thumbup:

A certain CP.com member (Me) being chased by some lovely ladies, I don't mind :thumbup:

Hands down THE best part of the MOC, really made me LOL :pir_laugh2: Depressed pirates in need of urgent psychological help organising shootout tournaments, while you're busy trying to get away (!) from a bunch of ladies. Something just doesn't feel quite right there... :pir-tongue:

As to the entry in its entirety... I must admit with Bart to some degree. On the upside, this MOC bears your significant style (and features C-P members involved in all kinds of weird situations, which is always fun!). The idea behind it is very original, as is the post-war syndrom idea (original yet still rather realistic).

On the downside however, there's a distinct lack of clarity, at least in my point of view, from the way you've put this together. The viewer needs to look at the pics, then read through your entire post, then look at them some more before they actually start making sense. The thing is, this event looks like a large mix-up of piraty characters with no actual plot uniting them...

I got the betting thing going on at that table, that was nicely done. Your character running away from all those ladies was also pretty obvious - albeit totally unrelated to the whole scene / idea of the MOC... The beggar stealing food is also quite obvious yet feels out of place to me. The same applies to the Indigo Islander - he's up to something, but what is he trying to achieve anyway?! I also presumed that the soldier in the foreground (2. pic) was getting ready to take a shot at the apple - upon closer inspection though, I am now confused - his rifle is pointing the other way round, he is looking in the other direction, and besides, the apple is placed right in front of the generals. Do I sense potential friendly fire there -- or was this your idea?

So, to sum it all up - I think you're trying to have too much happening in your MOC, which is not always a good solution. "Less is more" is a very wise thought and I'd recommend that you aim at improving the viewer's understanding of the Skeet Contest going on there, which is the primary thing. Once you're done with that, you can always add subplots related to the main one in order to have more depth to your entry. Unfortunately, right now, I think it looks the other way round.

Construction-wise I must say I don't quite get what the point of that shack is... If it's only there to hold a plate containing food for the generals, then it might as well be gone. I'd suggest thinking of something else to be housed in there. Betting booth perhaps? As to the roof - it's a smart design, but I'd suggest removing the brown plates you've placed in between the 1x1 round bricks. That would give the roof a much more natural look.

The generals' stands also look a bit flimsy to me... I think you could probably rework those by getting rid of the roof and instead concentrating on giving the structure a real "tribune" feel.

Oh, and as to portraying Big Cam as a sweeper - I can't wait to see his reaction :pir_laugh2:

Thanks everyone. I agree with everything you said Mr.Otter. I think that I'll build a new large entry.

I think that I'll build a new large entry.

You don't really have to do that Mr Ratshot :pir_laugh2: Keep the Skeet Club idea, it's brilliant, and work on that - just get rid of other things that don't add anything to it.

Seeing as you like including C-P / EB members in your MOCs, you could perhaps try having C-P members as the soldiers who are doing the shooting and other members (admins, counts, etc.) as the generals... Keep it all in your unique funny style and just do whatever you feel works best given the idea you have :]

Please don't be downhearted by what I said... I may have pointed out this and that which could use updating / reworking, but that doesn't in any way mean you should scrap this one! I'm sincerely sorry if it came out this way - please don't give up this great idea :pir-cry_sad:

You don't really have to do that Mr Ratshot :pir_laugh2: Keep the Skeet Club idea, it's brilliant, and work on that - just get rid of other things that don't add anything to it.

Seeing as you like including C-P / EB members in your MOCs, you could perhaps try having C-P members as the soldiers who are doing the shooting and other members (admins, counts, etc.) as the generals... Keep it all in your unique funny style and just do whatever you feel works best given the idea you have :]

Please don't be downhearted by what I said... I may have pointed out this and that which could use updating / reworking, but that doesn't in any way mean you should scrap this one! I'm sincerely sorry if it came out this way - please don't give up this great idea :pir-cry_sad:

The skeet idea is O.K but I get the feeling that a lot of people don't understand what it is, let me explain.

A person with a shotgun stands overlooking a field or some sort of clearing. Another person or a machine stands about 10 feet behind them. The person or the machine throws an apple or some form of target into the air. The person with the shotgun then attempts to shoot it out of the air. That my friend is what we call Skeet shooting.

I still going to use my "unique building style" as you put it.

I'm not downhearted and I do like the skeet idea, but I feel that I should start over, get a fresh start ya know.

I think I'll build something that really pertains to the peace theme of PTV II, are you going to enter the contest Mr.Otter?

I admit, I was mislead... If you'd used grouse instead of that apple, it would have been much clearer though :pir_laugh2: (joking there, but yeah, for some stupid reason I did mix up the concept of trap shooting and air-rifle target shooting). By the way, I was not trying to be wry in any way when I mentioned your building style - I really do appreciate it and enjoy your minifig use.

If you feel this one needs a fresh start though, it's your call. Hope you're all inspired :)

As to me entering the contest - no, it's not the most appropriate time for MOCcing for me. And btw you can call me Bobby - it's much shorter ;]

By the way, I was not trying to be wry in any way when I mentioned your building style - I really do appreciate it and enjoy your minifig use.

If you feel this one needs a fresh start though, it's your call. Hope you're all inspired :)

As to me entering the contest - no, it's not the most appropriate time for MOCcing for me. And btw you can call me Bobby - it's much shorter ;]

You were were very helpful, not wry :pir-laugh:

Inspired? Your the one who inspired me :thumbup:

Thanks Bobby

Chow

Ratshot

Let me explain it to you like this.....peace has been declared, but yet the generals still hate the other factions. (Redcoats hate Pirates, Bluecoats hate Redcoats, Pirates hate Bluecoats ect.) The Generals argue over who had the best soldiers/fighters, so to see who has the troops with the best skills, they hold competition's, the prize is the bragging rights, otherwise the Generals can say they have the best troops. Understand now?

Regarding the amount of brown: I don't have enough pieces in any other color, and I don't have any trans parent colors.

Thanks for the comments :thumbup:

Thanks for the added explaination, my enlish isn't that good!

Thanks for the added explanation, my Enlish isn't that good!

Most people that don't speak English as a first language find that posting daily improves there speaking abilities big time.

Edited by Ratshot

Nice idea Ratshot :thumbup: Some nice architectural work going on. Look forward to see it on the Classic-Pirates.com frontpage in the near future!

blogged.png

Skeet Club by Ratshot is now up for tomorrow.

I hate to make a fuss but I stated that I wasn't going to enter this entry :pir-sceptic:

This was the one I entered.

Yups, not a problem at all. :pir-wink:

Glad to here that. :thumbup:

Edited by Ratshot