echobasehoth

MOC Echo Base Hoth

A very good Moc of one of my favorite scenes!

You have managed to get a great detailed Echo Base for sure.

Will be great to see the whole Base done with all the missing details in time.

Keep up your great work, and welcome to Eurobricks!

This is very nicely done! It's awesome!

Will you add a Millenium Falcon too, and how much did this cost you?

I hope to make a nice Echo Base diorama next year aswell. :classic:

I'm wondering, which type of LED lights did you use, because I myself can't manage to put a LED light inside that cheese-slope grill piece while the light is on or something sticks out?

All in all, you've done a very great job on it, thanks for sharing it! :classic:

~General Magma

Edited by General Magma

This is very nicely done! It's awesome!

Will you add a Millenium Falcon too, and how much did this cost you?

I hope to make a nice Echo Base diorama next year aswell. :classic:

I'm wondering, which type of LED lights did you use, because I myself can't manage to put a LED light inside that cheese-slope grill piece while the light is on or something sticks out?

All in all, you've done a very great job on it, thanks for sharing it! :classic:

~General Magma

yes sure, no hoth base without a falcon :sweet:

legobasedecember001.jpg

I have no idea what the cost so far has been, but i think we have spent 8000 bricks so far. and think we need 5000 more. for the floor alone we have to use almost 800 2x10 white plates.

the led lights are easy to fit the cheese-slope grill, but you will have to drill some holes in the legobricks.

echobasehothbuilding005.jpg

i have used some 2 mm blue 3 volt led lights bought on ebay, think price for 50 pcs was less than 6 euro, have spent hours fixing the wires, its not easy with big hands :laugh:

buildingechobasehoth015.jpg

right now we are working on the ion canon and the shield generator power supply.

and yes the pictures isnt to good, but i rather spent my money on lego than a new digital camera :grin:

This is turning out really good, you're son is lucky to have a great father like you. The Echo base itself is just-----just so, brilliant! Will you be adding more to it when the new hoth 2010 sets come out like the wampa?

yes sure, no hoth base without a falcon :sweet:

*snip*

I have no idea what the cost so far has been, but i think we have spent 8000 bricks so far. and think we need 5000 more. for the floor alone we have to use almost 800 2x10 white plates.

the led lights are easy to fit the cheese-slope grill, but you will have to drill some holes in the legobricks.

*snip*

i have used some 2 mm blue 3 volt led lights bought on ebay, think price for 50 pcs was less than 6 euro, have spent hours fixing the wires, its not easy with big hands :laugh:

*snip*

OK, thanks! :classic:

and yes the pictures isnt to good, but i rather spent my money on lego than a new digital camera :grin:

Haha, same here. :laugh:

By the way, got any AT-AT\'s?

~General Magma

Edited by General Magma

This is turning out really good, you're son is lucky to have a great father like you. The Echo base itself is just-----just so, brilliant! Will you be adding more to it when the new hoth 2010 sets come out like the wampa?

our next step is to build a new ion canon for the base, we did build one sometime ago, but im not satiesfied with how it turned out, so will make a rebuild. further more we have some of the bricks for the shield generator power supply so that will be builded soon to. and ofcourse a wampa cave is a must to. will also get some of the new batllepacks, but mainly for the minifigs. I cant figure out if there should be snowtroopers and snowtrooper speeder bikes on the base batllefield(i dont see any in the movie) any good advice will be appriciated.

and yes no echo base without at-at (actually one of my favourite sets and one of the first bigger sets we purchased and got us hooked on lego star wars)

Its so cool seeing all the great Hoth / Echo base scenes pop up - especially after all the excellent official sets provide awesome inspiration - heres another great one on youtube...

Hoth base and battlefield

And very very cool to see how our favourite little brick is encouraging parents and their children to play together for hours on end. keep up the great work!!

I see, is it the newer motorized AT-AT or the older one?

By the way, I'd also like to know; where do you get the pieces?

I don't really have a lot of white, PaB online is too expensive (and the closest LEGO store is a country away), maybe I can use BL but the people with high amounts of 2x4 and other sized white bricks are more expensive... either that or the description says they are in bad quality. :cry_sad:

Now about your MOC; are you going to add a roof too? I'd like to see how it looks like with a roof.

~General Magma

Keep going it's looking great, no not great - AWESOME.

Yeah working with small LED's can be a pain - a pain for me for over 25 years of electronics !

This is by the looks of it is pre-battle of Hoth, so theres no need for Vader to pop in and say 'hi'. Pitty.

I see, is it the newer motorized AT-AT or the older one?

By the way, I'd also like to know; where do you get the pieces?

I don't really have a lot of white, PaB online is too expensive (and the closest LEGO store is a country away), maybe I can use BL but the people with high amounts of 2x4 and other sized white bricks are more expensive... either that or the description says they are in bad quality. :cry_sad:

Now about your MOC; are you going to add a roof too? I'd like to see how it looks like with a roof.

~General Magma

the at-at is the motorized one.

and i use several sellers on bricklink.com to find what i need, i use a lot 2x2, 2x3, 2x4 2x8 and 2x10 i try to place orders with sellers that has a lot listed, usually buy no less than 1000 pieces each time. maybe their bricks are a litlle more expensive but i save that on shipping. actually it has been a lot more difficult finding white bricks the last 2 times i have placed orders.

im not sure about the roof, a roof would be great, but without a roof the play value is better for my son. Think i will make 1/4 of the base roofed. Are also planning to have some led lights at the roof, so somekind of roff we need to build.

I personally think a roof would detract from the playability , which is what i love so much about your MOC. lets face it the Lego is all about the kids.

I always build open back MOCS , and try and capture that Lego feel, which you have done superbly, this looks exactly like something Lego would build Kudos.

Awesome work :cry_happy::thumbup::thumbup:

Your son is so lucky to have a dad like you. I love it, especially the motorized gates! Also, good idea on showing it as a video, much more efficient than pictures :thumbup:

bitterly cold here in denmark, just like ice planet hoth, so we have stayed inside the house all day and builded on our echo base. so here some updated pictures.

ligths on:

legoechobasehoth002.jpg

crane for the snowspeeder

legoechobasehoth006.jpg

added lots of small detsils and my son loves to play with the base

legoechobasehoth029.jpg

working on a new and bigger ion canon, still need to work on that one, i have had much difficulties building a ball

legoechobasehoth010.jpg

the power generator for the protective shield

legoechobasehoth017.jpg

the mountain side beside the moving gates, have added some with slopes so no studs can be seen

legoechobasehoth021.jpg

hope you like it :classic:

This thing keeps getting better and better! can't wait to see you incorporate the Hoth Wampa cave coming out in 2010, do I hear giant wampa family cave Easter egg?

Wow, the updates are getting better and better.

I simply cannot wait to see this compelted.

Keep the updates coming.

Thank you!!!

Well im still a new member, so hope i post it the right place now. I actually dont have a picture of my sons and I´s echo base hoth. Right now it is a bit of a mess, my son has played a lot with it and we are waiting to find time and money for adding a floor to hide electric wires and to add some LED lights. but here is a link to a youtube video.

Echo Base on Hoth

the base is pretty "raw" lots of details still need to be added, most important thing was a base that my son enjoys to play with, detail can come later on.

anyway hope you like it, and please fell free to post comments and if you have any good ideas they will be much appriciated

Oh my gosh :cry_happy: - your son is so lucky- great base btw!

The base is really coming along - it is superb. Very well designed. It has made me re-plan my Echo Base. Very inspirational and some nice little touches, especially the automation of the door and the ion cannon. Nice detail on the mountian side as well. escellent stuff.

I've seen this MOC a few times and each time I love it more. I don't like the older models you used for the x-wings but that doesn't detract from the coolness of the design. :thumbup:

Been working a litlle on the eho base this weekend, and the ion canon is now working, and the doors are working again. so here is an updated youtube video witht the ion canon in function

also a litlle more detailed slideshow

sorry couldnt get the lighted r2d2 to function :angry:

That looks awesome! The turrets look great too. :thumbup:

Is the Probe Droid the official one? And do I spot a dead snowtrooper at 1:03 in the middle of the wall?

BTW, about mine: I'm slowly building some MOCs for it at the moment, the second and most recent one is the Atgar Tower Laser Cannon. I was sliding a little away from wanting to make it but that's probably because the base itself will be made much later. I hope I can get the right amount of pieces from BrickLink and such...

How much did it cost to make that sliding door? Did you use NXT for that?

Anyways it's awesome, and I like the added lights alot. :classic:

I am looking forward to be building mine.

~ General Magma

Edited by General Magma

That looks awesome! The turrets look great too. :thumbup:

Is the Probe Droid the official one? And do I spot a dead snowtrooper at 1:03 in the middle of the wall?

BTW, about mine: I'm slowly building some MOCs for it at the moment, the second and most recent one is the Atgar Tower Laser Cannon. I was sliding a little away from wanting to make it but that's probably because the base itself will be made much later. I hope I can get the right amount of pieces from BrickLink and such...

How much did it cost to make that sliding door? Did you use NXT for that?

Anyways it's awesome, and I like the added lights alot. :classic:

I am looking forward to be building mine.

~ General Magma

the probe droid is custom build.

dead snowtroopers allover (my son like dead snowtroopers :devil:

and the sliding doors wasnt that expensive, bought the power functions set at a local store (30 euro) then some gray bricks. take a look at lego.com click customer service at the buttom left. download the instructions for set 7666 will give you a pretty good idea how the sliding door works. i have used 1 motor and some technic parts for moving the 2 gates. no need to use nxt

Uhhh...just AWESOME!

Putting this much time into a MOC with your son is great. Dad of the year...!!!

Love all the details and love the technique for the snow against the wall.

As a fellow Dad...I've done some MOC's with my son but nothing of this size. Really inspiring. Can I..ahem...borrow some of your techniques...;)?

Really fantastic work. Just excellent... :thumbup::thumbup: