Sign in to follow this  
Bonaparte

Spanish Imperial Galleon - Nuestra Senora de la Concepcion

She is a beauty now! :pir-wub: Another top-notch ship just left the dockyard I see! Great work! :thumbup:

The rigging, always stunning! I love those sails with a cross on them! Nice lanterns as well! :pir-laugh:

When I saw the WIP in real I knew this was going to be another awesome creation, and I was right.

Great choice of colours too, really amazing curves. It's a pleasure for the eye. :pir-sweet:

Any community build projects planned in the future?

What really stands out most to me is the fact that you've gone for something different. I always see the same old type of ship on here, as people only ever seem to build those 'victory' type inspired ships (you know what i mean). But this reminds me more of those old 'Spainish Armada' types from the 15th and 16th centurys. I love the ships from that era and have always felt that we dont see enough lego versions. Which is why this just has to be the best lego ship ive seen. Credit to you both for trying something different. This is just stunning and every detail is masterfully done. I hope we might see more like it in the future. In my opinion, you two are on another level when it comes to building ships, no-one comes close :pir-classic: Excellent work!

Outstandingly beautiful!

I missed this topic (this desereves a front page doesn't it?) but I am glad to catch up.

I have had the pleasue in the past of seeing some of the ships of CGH in the flesh (or brick) and I recognise the style oncemore in this beauty.

The only minor nitpick I have, if I am even allowed one, would be that I think that the quite plain figurehead does not really match with the extravagance of the ship.

Other than that: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Wow.

Wow!!!

And once again... WOW.

Been looking at this beauty for the last 15 minutes and it's really simply... stunning. Good to know that's what international teamplay amounts to, go European Union!!!

On a sidenote -- if THIS doesn't serve as an excuse for the Brothers Brick to finally start blogging stuff other than mechas, spacechips (and cubedudes), I don't know what would.

As far as I know, the "Nuestra Senora de la Conception" was the Treasure ship captured by Francis Drake on his first major journey in march 1579.

Actually I must say that the idea of using the lower part of the new style hull pieces for the stern is an extremely good one and also looks great here :thumbup: , but I'm slightly disappointed since I recently started a 6midsections ship using this idea - only that you were quicker :pir-oh:

What i like best about the ship are the sails which seem simply perfect, just the way they need to be.

When I was a child I always wanted to build something like this, but without the help of Bricklink and with comparatively limited skills back then I've failed to meet my expectations.

From this background, I'm even more impressed with your work.

Some observations:

-The lanterns apear to be Blackmoor ones

-I don't like the figurehead very much. The helmet is a brickforge one, though I done think the ancient theme fits very well to a spanish ship of the 16th century. The figure's torso seems wrong to me, mostly due to the blue color. It also lacks legs I think.

-The rudder (hinges) is a fairly nice construction. May I copy it for the Superbe?

-The Lego Armarda flag on the 3rd mast (it isnt called mizzenmast on a four master, is it?) seems not very harmonic to me

-I also feel the standard, non MOC anchors too small

-At least the captains cabin would deserve a interior I think

Though the overall impression I have while looking at this creation is a extremely good one.

@Derfel Cardarn: I do agree that there should be more ships like this one on the forums. I sometimes considered building a galleon, however I'm already building three ships (+1 mostly identical sistership) at the moment and also something land based, so i don't have capacities. :imperialguard_commander1:

What could be really nice would be a "build a 16th century ship contest" after PTVII has finished. :pir-classic:

Edited by Perfectionist

Very good work. I really like it a lot (the pig is my favorite :pir-blush: ) I like the color pattern you used on the side of the ship.(it is really cool :pir-sweet: ) The one thing that I don't like is the stairs, they aren't long enough. :pir-hmpf_bad:

Edited by Admiral Woodhouse

What a marvellous ship! :pir-wub:

The combination of the colours the sails ... I am overwhelmed by the details!

I find the pig a very beautiful idea.

This is a super work of you.

Capt K.

On a sidenote -- if THIS doesn't serve as an excuse for the Brothers Brick to finally start blogging stuff other than mechas, spacechips (and cubedudes), I don't know what would.

:pir_laugh2: I agree there! If its not trains, mechas or spaceships than its not likely to feature. Allthough they did blog my church and ports, but they filed them under 'castle' :pir_laugh2: I cant believe this hasn't been blogged!

I have heard about this ship, but not having a clue when we could see this fine project.

Now when it is here I can only say WOW!

Some of you know that the Pirate part of EB is not something I use to visit, but I realize I have to visit you guys more often.

This ship for sure is one of those reasons. Simply a masterpiece of engineering and art.

Crazy lots of details in it.

Yes, it sure is a beauty, isn't it.

Some of you know that the Pirate part of EB is not something I use to visit, but I realize I have to visit you guys more often.

I have it in writing, so you better live up to your words! :pir-devil:

I've been to an Island with school this weekend so I missed this one. I'm glad it was bumped up again, otherwise I might have missed it completely :pir_wacko: You really did an amazing job on this ship. I like the fact that you are building an armada ship because that's quite unique.

The colourscheme is wonderfoul and the cross on the sails are perfect as well.

I'm also honoured that you used my idea to make a 'sternsprit' or whatever it's called :pir-sweet:

I think the figurehead could better be removed or be turned into a lion since I think that was more common (but I could be wrong about this).

And the side of the ship should be more 'going up' towards the stern (Like can be seen here: http://www.martinships.com/photos/Golden-Hind-01.jpg)

For the rest it's just a very good-looking ship, the best in it's kind as far as I know :pir-classic:

Edited by Admiral Croissant

Thank you for all the nice replies guys! :pir-cry_happy:

If only TLG had hired you guys to design the 10210.. then it'd probably cost way too much :tongue:

Ah no i'd design it for beer, or do you mean the set cost? :pir_laugh2:

Just goes to show what a heap of beer can build hey!

Beer can make a man do anything, we should get it for free! :pir-grin:

It's amazing how well the checker pattern stands out considering its simplicity in both color and design. Typically, only ships with brick-built hulls are subject my awe-inspired admiration; this noble lady seems to be a spectacular exception.

Prefabs aren't all but useless. :pir-wink:

I'm the lucky one, but as soon as I die the ship goes to Captain Green Hair :pir-laugh:

Hey dont go dying on me buddy, i rather have you around!

Boney and CGH you already know my opinion :pir-wink:

This ship is the best creation on prefabs that I have ever seen and I can't wait to see her again IRL.

The photos are really good and they do the ship justice. Your setup really payed off Boney :thumbup:

Greetings Errorist

Hey there's a bit of beer, swet and blood from you in there as well matey! :pir-wink:

To be honest, this is one of the nicest ships I've ever seen. The colours are beautiful and the lines and proportions are perfect. The sails look excellent, the rigging is obviously very carefully put together and the crew looks brilliant too. I had only seen some preliminary shots before today, but it looks so much better now than it did when it only had one side. :pir-tongue:

Great creation guys, this one deserves a big fat blogged.png

Thanks buddy! :thumbup:

Any community build projects planned in the future?

Nothing solid yet, but yes we will continue to build projects together as it is simply too much fun not too. :pir-sweet:

What really stands out most to me is the fact that you've gone for something different. I always see the same old type of ship on here, as people only ever seem to build those 'victory' type inspired ships (you know what i mean). But this reminds me more of those old 'Spainish Armada' types from the 15th and 16th centurys. I love the ships from that era and have always felt that we dont see enough lego versions. Which is why this just has to be the best lego ship ive seen. Credit to you both for trying something different. This is just stunning and every detail is masterfully done. I hope we might see more like it in the future. In my opinion, you two are on another level when it comes to building ships, no-one comes close :pir-classic: Excellent work!

Thanks, that was exactly our aim and i am glad that it worked out.

The only minor nitpick I have, if I am even allowed one, would be that I think that the quite plain figurehead does not really match with the extravagance of the ship.

Other than that: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Well one then...... :pir-grin:

Any ideas on how to improve it? We went for a mythical godlike statue which was often used on ships...

As far as I know, the "Nuestra Senora de la Conception" was the Treasure ship captured by Francis Drake on his first major journey in march 1579.

Correct, you may continue for the refrigerator.

-The lanterns apear to be Blackmoor ones

Again correct, as mentioned earlyer. :pir-wink:

-I don't like the figurehead very much. The helmet is a brickforge one, though I done think the ancient theme fits very well to a spanish ship of the 16th century. The figure's torso seems wrong to me, mostly due to the blue color. It also lacks legs I think.

Well you'd need a bit of imagination, as we went for a mythical godlike statue. The Blue is infact a returning color and this gives the idea of a body armor which many Greek / Roman gods wore.

But any ideas on how to improve it are welcome. :pir-wink:

-The rudder (hinges) is a fairly nice construction. May I copy it for the Superbe?

Ofcourse.

-The Lego Armarda flag on the 3rd mast (it isnt called mizzenmast on a four master, is it?) seems not very harmonic to me

Well it is an official part and we did want to enforce the Lego feel a bit as everything else above deck is custom.

I for one quite like it.

-I also feel the standard, non MOC anchors too small

I agree, but they are still the smoothest part to use there.

Lego never really was about scale, the whole ship is actually too small. :pir_laugh2:

-At least the captains cabin would deserve a interior I think

Well we like to build and care more for exterior then interior as we won't be laying with them anyways.

It wouldn't be necessary for displaying purpouses either i think.

But i do like the fact your frigate has one. :pir-wink:

All of the beautiful colors and amazing designs! I love the green and white stripe on it :pir-sweet:

All around fantastic ship :thumbup:

And a certain person from Belgian called me nuts for wanting to use green. :pir-grin:

I challenge you to build the 'Mary Rose'!!! :pir-classic:

Well with my build a frigate ''instruction'' you can basically build any ship. This ship is based on the same technique. :pir-wink:

I'm also honoured that you used my idea to make a 'sternsprit' or whatever it's called :pir-sweet:

Well thanks a bunch for that idea!

I think the figurehead could better be removed or be turned into a lion since I think that was more common (but I could be wrong about this).

See my earlyer replies, can you come up with a lion design that small and good looking? :pir-look:

And the side of the ship should be more 'going up' towards the stern (Like can be seen here: http://www.martinships.com/photos/Golden-Hind-01.jpg)

I think we are actually quite close to those lines, higher would be ridiculous looking i think.

For the rest it's just a very good-looking ship, the best in it's kind as far as I know :pir-classic:

Again thank you!

See my earlyer replies, can you come up with a lion design that small and good looking? pirate_look.gif

There you have a point.. I believe there is one brick with a lion face on it, you could try that one. Otherwise maybe no figurehead at all.

Or you just leave it the way it is, maybe there were ships with figureheads like this as well.

For the lines of the ship: the coloured lines are good indead, but I mean that the handrail is horizontal on the highest deck and I like it more when it's more vertical. But I know there were also ships with horizontal handrails so it's not nessecary. Just a suggestion :pir-classic:

Dear CGH and Bonaparte,

let me just start this reply by re-emphasizing I really like the design of the ship. :thumbup:

And it is by far the best in its kind (Spannish and build with hull pieces) that I have seen so far.

And I've seen a lot of Lego ships on the internet.

I've had to take a real close look to see some stuff that might need improvement.

And you probably would not need to take those comments into account when displaying this beauty.

Since it is very very beautyfull as it is. :pir-classic:

That said I do believe that it is the function of this forum to give some constructive feedback or ask some questions which may help to improve the current MOC or future MOCs.

Therefore here are my two cents.

yellow circles

There appear to be "dents" in the hull which go contrary to he main lines.

Green circle:

The black line appears to drop contrary to the smooth flow. If the inverted slope is one stud higher it may look more fluent.

Red circle:

I'm not sure about the transition in the lowest brick row, which contains a rectangular brick inbetween the inverted slopes.

Somehow it really breaks the flow of lines.

Horizontally the steps now are 1-1-1-1-1-1-3-lots, maybe 1-1-1-1-1-2-2-lots containing an inverted sloped brick may look better.

Or 1-1-1-1-1-1-3-lots with a reverse slope where there currently is a rectangular brick.

Or the use of slopes with a steeper gradient, such as: linky to BL catalog

Well this are my two cents.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Photo with circles:

pic02nr5.jpg

I really like it a lot (the pig is my favorite :pir-blush: )

You like the pig best, WWEEIIRRDD!! :pir_wacko:

Who gets to keep the amazing beauty?

You like the pig best, WWEEIIRRDD!! :pir_wacko:

Who gets to keep the amazing beauty?

He already said, Bonaparte gets too.

But Bonaparte, You ever think of selling, Im open! :thumbup:

yellow circles

There appear to be "dents" in the hull which go contrary to he main lines.

I'm not sure I understand, let's have a look from a different angle. Is the issue also visible here or was it the angle in which the other pic was taken?

pic13.jpg

Green circle:

The black line appears to drop contrary to the smooth flow. If the inverted slope is one stud higher it may look more fluent.

They are kinda at the same height, but the one is angled (because of the sloping of the side of the ship) and the inverted slope is not. That indeed creates the effect you describe from some viewing angles. If we started the inverted slope one plate higher we'd have avoided this. Valid point!

pic14.jpg

Red circle:

I'm not sure about the transition in the lowest brick row, which contains a rectangular brick inbetween the inverted slopes.

Somehow it really breaks the flow of lines.

Horizontally the steps now are 1-1-1-1-1-1-3-lots, maybe 1-1-1-1-1-2-2-lots containing an inverted sloped brick may look better.

Or 1-1-1-1-1-1-3-lots with a reverse slope where there currently is a rectangular brick.

Or the use of slopes with a steeper gradient, such as: linky to BL catalog

That's something I would have preferred different, but we couldn't find a better solution. I'd really have to check it on the ship to see it better, but it's still in our garden house in my foto-shoot setup (and it's raining). I'll let the Captain comment on this one :pir-grin:

I'm not sure I understand, let's have a look from a different angle. Is the issue also visible here or was it the angle in which the other pic was taken?

Hi Bonaparte,

It might be the photo angle or shades from the lighting angle.

In the photo you show, I highlighted the spots where the hull seems to "move" in and out a bit.

I'm not sure what can be done to smoothen this or how it "feels" and "looks" in real life, I'll have to think about it a bit.

Maybe move the hinge-bricks a quarter stud (or approximately half a plate thickness) in would do the trick.

That could be achieved by some creative headlight brick use that allows for moving objects half a plate thickness.

These are the spots I'm talking about.

pic13nr2.jpg

The are kinda at the same height, but the one is angled (because of the sloping of the side of the ship) and the inverted slope is not. That indeed creates the effect you describe from some viewing angles. If we started the inverted slope one plate higher we'd have avoided this. Valid point!

Yes, from the side photo the effect is less.

That's something I would have preferred different, but we couldn't find a better solution. I'd really have to check it on the ship to see it better, but it's still in our garden house in my foto-shoot setup (and it's raining). I'll let the Captain comment on this one :pir-grin:

Hmm, maybe what is needed here is an inverted slope which is two bricks high, but those slopes do not exist in inverted form (yet).

Here is a link to the non-inverted slope brick: linky to BL catalog

I'll have to think about an alternative to this non existing brick.

Again my compliments on this great and beautyfull creation. :pir-classic::thumbup:

Kind regards,

Teddy

This may be one of the best LEGO ships I have ever seen. :pir-cry_happy:

I have always held a hope in the back of my mind that I might someday tackle a ship from this era and you have set the standard wonderfully. I look forward to WIP pics.