WesternOutlaw

What Ever Happened to the Train Engine Shed?

All things considered  

99 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate the quality of this article?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Train-tacular!
  2. 2. What trackside structure would you like LEGO to offer?

• Train Engine Shed
    • Round House
    • Train Level Crossing
    • Train Station
    • Cargo Depot
    • Mill (coal, lumber, or other resource)
    • Switching Tower
    • Water Tower
    • Bridge
    • OTHER

traintechlink3.jpg

What Ever Happened to the Train Engine Shed?

LEGO Train Article by TheBrickster

10027trainshed.jpg

“What? I own this set”, your might be thinking, but let me explain. In 2003, LEGO released the 633 piece 10027 Train Engine Shed. Those of you who were fortunate to have purchased the set at a mere $70 (USD), might remember the beautifully large design complete with two large sets of black circle-top doors, removable roof sections with clear sun roof, four pieces of 9V straight track, and “classic-style” hinges that allowed train buffs to close the shed or open for train repair, or even create a “long tunnel-like structure” for the more narrow of train tables. Yes, “Big Red” was certainly a beauty.

Strangely, during 2003, LEGO was flooding the market with the World City sub-theme that included a number of train sets like 4511 High Speed Train, 4512 Cargo Train, and LEGOs most modern of train stations, 4513 Grand Central Station. An attempt to provide a rail crossing would result in 10128 Train Level Crossing. Did any of these sets even compare to the popularity and grandeur of the Train Engine Shed? “Hardly”, I say most definitely.

LEGO’s Train Engine Shed would create a new precedence among trackside structures and provide adult LEGO train fans hope of what may be next for the LEGO train hobbyist. “Move over kiddies, LEGO is building up its arsenal to attack the pocket books of adult train fans”, many of us thought as we eagerly made room on our table tops for the new red building, dwarfing all other Classic Town and World City structures. Standing out like the modern day Café Corner or Green Grocer, “Big Red” stood proudly as the doors opened and the light of a shiny Santa Fe Super Chief came barreling out. Proud owners wondered what might be next for future trackside structures.

2004 offered the colorful orange and green 10133 Burlington Northern Santa Fe and add-ons for the Passenger Train, followed by 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car in 2005, and 10173 Christmas Train plus R/C system trains in 2006. 2007 restored some faith in LEGO Trains with the 10183 Hobby Train kit, many purchased at half price from LEGO Shop at Home. Trackside structures seemed to be a “thing of the past” with only 7997 Train Station offered in 2007 with new R/C track. 2008 gave rise to the last hope for 9V which was quickly thwarted by LEGO. Some blamed poor sales on the part of the Hobby Train kit, while others looked for opportunities with a new system that would restore functionally similar to 12V. Unfortunately, track side structures seemed even lesser a priority compared with demands from an angry mob of 9V fans.

We are now quickly approaching 2010 with the beautiful Emerald Night behind us in 2009. Is there a grand modular station in the near distance? Will we see the new Power Functions system integrated with trackside structures like a light-up train crossing? Or how about a simple shed that can compare with the ornately detailed and now legendary Train Shed? Adult train fans were given opportunity for “what might be coming down the tracks” in 2003 with “Big Red”, but we never saw it to fruition. What ever happened to the Train Engine Shed? and more importantly, what ever happened to the grand trackside structures that we had all hoped for? Perhaps the plans are locked away in a Train Engine Shed.

Resources

http://www.lugnet.com/

Interesting unfortunately the Emerald Night doesn't fit in the shed :hmpf_bad::laugh:

I highly doubt we will something along the lines of the Emerald Night's quality and building style.

Probably not a Station or another train.

Most likely since Legomilk confirmed the production of 2010 City trains and we have had rumors about 2 trains and a Station and Level crossing.

I think they will most likely be another Cargo Train and a Light Rail Passenger Train or Tram.

Not sure if they will include the PF and Track, since on LSAH there is a section for "Engines Specially" then I can reason the 2010 trains will be seperate from PF and Track. Which would seem quite logical.

Oh yes and I wouldlike to see a Cargo Depot such as 4555

4555-1.jpg

:wub: :wub:

Edited by Macoco

I highly doubt we will something along the lines of the Emerald Night's quality and building style.

Probably not a Station or another train.

Most likely since Legomilk confirmed the production of 2010 City trains and we have had rumors about 2 trains and a Station and Level crossing.

You never know. While these sets might be intended for the kiddies, we might just see an exclusive structure for the adult fans.

Sort of like having a City Fire Station and the Fire Brigade at the same time; perhaps just wishful thinking on my part.

I'd really like to see a modular train station. :wub: - and Power Functions has to be used to power something other than the Emerald Night (train/trackside structure speaking that is).

EDIT: oh, but I voted for a mill, just because we've never seen LEGO build one. I'm thinking of a mill with a hopper or two included. Wouldn't that be a great set?

Just a bit of an off-topic - but it's really all down to us. The more AFOLs buy Exclusives and sets which are aimed specifically at them, the more of those TLG will produce officially. Having so many unbelievably great exclusives lined up for 2010 is the greatest proof of that.

That considered, I'm more than certain that TLG have the manpower to supply enough original ideas for such sets and marketing/selling those is the only issue. With the slow but steady uprise of AFOL-oriented Train sets, a structure to go along with the Train Engine Shed might be on the cards soon...

Nice article.

Good to give an overview of all those nice sets.

I voted for bridge, in a lot of ways i am interested how Lego would design a bridge, and also if they would dare to use a height difference :wink:

Very informative and entertaining.

Although I don't collect these trains, I am facinated by trains. My dad is an Engineer for BNSF so I've always been around trains.

Being that I can't own every single LEGO set ever, it's nice to see topics like this that allow me to kind of live the life od a train collector in a few mintues.

I hope there are new trains in store for 2010, heck, maybe I'll pick one up.

Thanks Brickster.

Nice Article Brickster! This was my favorite LEGO structure set prior to the introduction of the CC series of buildings. Though not a great deal as far as price-per piece ($.105/piece vs $.064/piece for Green Grocer), at the time it was still the best "parts pack" set for acquiring pieces to build urban buildings. My one regret was not buying two.

I'm afraid however that I agree with Mancoco that we are unlikey to see Modular train structures in line with the complexity of Train Shed and Emerald night. Emerald knight is just so large that it's hard to design sets that will match that scale and still be viable for sale.

However, I do hold out hope for a City train station more in line with the Classic LEGO train stations rather than the modern/futuristic deisgns they've come out with more recently.

If I may suggest improvements for Train Tech articles regarding structures... In order to increase the usefullness to train fans it would be good to include exact train clearances for width, and height of structures so that train fans can judge if the structure will fit their trains and allow them to see what might need to be modified.

Some good writing, wondering why I don't have this set, IMHO, one of the best track side structures EVER.

Going to look one on ebay :)

I regret not buying it when I had the chance, but as it has been said the Emerald Night doesn't fit - and neither do the majority of my locomotives (being mainly 8-wide) - not just in width but in length. My Berkshire, even without the tender, is over three track lengths long. No, I resigned myself long ago that I'm going to have to build my own, but the parts from one of these would have been really helpful in getting started.

--Tony

I don't have the shed. I was waiting for it to go on sale but in did I missed the ten minute window before it sold out... :angry:

Time to think out loud about the options.

Train Engine Shed

The problem, as is obvious from the existing shed, is that it needs to be BIG for a train to fit in. That means it will always be an expensive set. The next problem is that Lego will most likely make the door 8 wide again, meaning most of my trains wouldn't fit. So, beautiful as the old shed is, I won't be voting for another one.

Round House

A round house would be pointless without a turntable, making this seriously niche. Plus, it would have all the drawbacks of a normal train shed as mentioned above.

Train Level Crossing

Always nice, especially if they can manage an automatic one.

Train Station

As long as Lego make trains they'll make stations. No need to wish for one. It's like wishing for summer. Wait long enough and it'll come around again.

Cargo Depot

Now this is long overdue with all those cargo trains. There were a few really nice Cargo sheds in the recent contest showing what's possible on just one baseplate.

Mill (coal, lumber, or other resource)

This could be a nice play set. It would have to come with at least two dedicated cars, a truck and a crane or forklift. Would be a biggie.

Switching Tower

This could be a nice set, though they're probably not the most exciting buildings for children. I'd prefer the 'over the tracks' type...

Water Tower

While it could be used away from the tracks as well water towers are a bit of a thing of the past (at least in my neck of the woods).

Bridge

A tricky one. You either get a tiny bridge that's kinda pointless and unimpressive or a big one that would be expensive and most kids couldn't fit in the layout in their bedroom.

Yeah, I think I've made up my mind. For the 'everybody needs a dream' option I'll go for the round house with a turntable. For the 'this might actually be an option for Lego' option I'll go for the Cargo depot.

I voted for a Train Level Crossing. If done in BNSF / Super Chief / Train Shed style, that should be a wonderful set. Heck, even if it's just another regular City-style Level Crossing, I'd go for it - it's long overdue and my expanding railway is in need of such a structure!

As to the other choices - I'm pretty sure we'll never see an official Roundhouse due to all the reasons Duq has already pointed out. Same applies to having an officla Bridge set, I don't think TLG would dare to officially release that - it just wouldn't sell. The Water Tower is a bit dated and useless for all but one official LEGO train - hardly a marketable idea. And as Train Stations come and go, I don't think even an Exclusive set would be able to come close to the level of detail which Teddy and kris kelvin more recently have managed to achieve... But stations will fortunately always be available and always a winning card, as long as they offer a bit more than the fortunately-soon-to-be-retired 7997.

That leaves us (alright, me at least :) ) with a limited choice. The Mill sounds fun, but cannot be directly related to Trains and sounds too AFOL-ish, so I wouldn't hope for that, even though it could be made into a lovely set. I can see a Cargo Depot offered as a regular City set, since it does make sense and could be made in a way that wouldn't be too expensive yet very "playable". Same applies for a potential Switching Tower, even though it is also a bit more of an AFOL structure.

All in all, the Level Crossing and Cargo Depot (and probably the Switching Tower as an outside chance) seem like the most plausible alternatives to me in terms of sets which LEGO would officially release. I'd love to see either one of those next year and if done properly, I'd surely buy it :)

P.S.: I don't own the Shed (Come on the Blues! :tongue: ) either, unfortunately. At the price it's currently commanding, I don't think I'll be buying it anyway, I'd rather MOC one myself later on and combine that with a roundhouse.

Edited by TheOtters

Great discussion everyone! While this article only rates a "4" by our EB train fans, I'm really enjoying the comments related to a future set. This is just the kind of discussion that I mean to encourage with articles like this. :thumbup: Maybe I'll share an image review down the road.

Nice discussion indeed :)

Maybe a modern version of this set would be nice:

7838-1.jpg

... It is a bit different from all the other lego cargo sets...

I want to see them release another level crossing.

I want to be able to run my train through my city, crossing roads where I want it to. The single tiny crossing in Cargo Train Deluxe just isn't enough!

I just wish Lego would actually do a decent train range - one with lots of wagons, coaches, accessories & buildings. Something alone the Hornby range would be quite good - a decent range for both kiddies and adults...

I'm afraid however that I agree with Mancoco that we are unlikey to see Modular train structures in line with the complexity of Train Shed and Emerald night. Emerald knight is just so large that it's hard to design sets that will match that scale and still be viable for sale.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I agree, although I am as optimistic as the next guy, I doubt about Modular Train Stations being made. That said however LEGO has released sets that seem to came out of the blue. No leaked pics, no info about them, they just show up and nobody expected that. A surprise set.

I really like those especially if they are awesome. :oh:

Edited by Macoco

The one set I would really like to see available is the coach from Emerald Night available separately. I'd buy a few of them if I could.

As for the Train Shed, it's excellent I have two now. When they were running them out at shop@home they were 1/2 price. I just about fell off my chair when I spotted they were also sold out. The other total winner for me was the hobby trains.

Cargo Depot (4555) tn_4555-1_jpg.jpg is a great set. I paid way to much for one from Germany on Ebay.

But I'm glad I did, it gave me the idea to put AFX motors inside lego cars

mod_1_thmb.jpg mod_5_thmb.jpg

(Check out more pics and movies of my Lego Slot Cars at the Bodville website)

And I also built a mindstorm automated crane from the base of this set (4555).

100_6408_thmb.JPG

(Check out more pics and movies of my mindstorm Gantry Crane at the Bodville website)

I have always regretted not buying tn_2150-1_jpg.jpg when I saw it in the shops.

Great article Brickster! A nice little reminder of one of the great LEGO sets of the past. I was lucky and bought two when they were out and they have been a staple on the ToT-LUG layout ever since. It never fails that at a show I will have at least a few people come up and ask where I got it and if LEGO is still producing it. :classic:

On the side of new trackside structure sets, I would love to see a Roundhouse with Turntable. I think that would be a stellar set to have although I am sure it would be more AFoL oriented (good for me...bad for the younger collectors). A Mill would be cool as well especially if it came with a couple of pieces of rolling stock as well. I could see a set like that doing really well. A lot of the other structures mentioned are either things that LEGO has already made in the past or things that are very easy to MOC (such as the level crossing) and so they are of little interest to me. Plus I could see the Round house and Mill both being great 'parts packs' kinda like the modular buildings have become.

-Dave

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

This is a great and very interesting toric, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

I really :wub: this train engine shed and so am really lucky that I bought it when it was available for a reasonable price. It's surely one of the best Trains and City sets TLG ever made.

I rate the quality of your article as Above Average since this topic includes nearly all relevant information - only some picture(s) of the inside of the engine shed and/or a description of which was included in it woud have had been nice.

Although all of the by you mentioned train structures are of course great ideas and although TLG should release them all I personally would like the most to get a new

Cargo Depot. :wub:

Reasons:

1. A cargo depot would be a great addition for a/the cargo train and increase the play value.

2. A cargo depot is - like a train station or train level crossing - a point where regular City and Trains meet. And so it would be a great set for real train fans, for City fans which like trains, too, and even for only City fans.

3. A cargo depot offers a lot of playability which guarantees that even JFOLs would like this set:

- a crane to load and unload the goods from the train car(s) (independant from whether the crane included will run with PF or manually)

- a depot to store the goods which could include a big room (for storing the goods) with sliding doors downstairs and a small office upstairs

- a truck to bring the goods to the depot

- a palette joe

- three or four minifigs

- one or two train car/-s and many goods

We are now quickly approaching 2010 with the beautiful Emerald Night behind us in 2009. Is there a grand modular station in the near distance? Will we see the new Power Functions system integrated with trackside structures like a light-up train crossing? Or how about a simple shed that can compare with the ornately detailed and now legendary Train Shed?

Rumours say that we'll get two trains (supposably one passenger train and one cargo train), a train level crossing and a train station next summer. Since this is already a complete new wave (since train sets are always very expensive anyway) I highly doubt that we'll see any more train sets next year.

I even can't imagine that we'll see a modular station since there will already be 10211 - and two minimum 150 Euros CC-styled buildings in one year seem very unrealistic to me.

I don't think that TLG will use the new PF functions that much. At least I can't imagine them using in the train level crossing since for the battery box or rechargeable battery box a lot of space would be needed. And where would be the big use of it?!

But I could imagine that we'll get a new train shed - either similar to the old red one or one in modern architectual style - or some other train structures as an Exclusive in 2011.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I am afraid that we will not get modular train station at all. It simply does not fit the modular buildings concept (modular builadings are ment to be placed in front of the road, not track). Next year we will get just "launch pack", possibly with just one trackside structure (level crossing or station) and MAYBE the other set as AFOL set. I hope for a detailed level crossing, similar to world city one. The problem is of course in bad sales of that kond of sets, as Jamie Berard pointed out in his interview (SW and modular are sold much better).

I started building a turntable and was going to build a shed from the two train sheds I have.

After I opened the 2nd set I discovered that all the bricks are bley not grey?

I can't beleive TLC would change from grey to bley with the same set. : (

With the people that have the train shed set, I wonder how many have old grey?

With the people that have the train shed set, I wonder how many have old grey?

Mine is old grey. I suppose it's based on whether or not you purchased the set early or later.

Nice article! Thanks!

I'm happy to own Engine Shed. It even came with old grey bricks. I bought it MISB for quite a high price. Despite the existence of engine sheds with bley bricks, the seller could guarantee that my purchase was still with old grey bricks; the description said so. The seller had bought it a very short time after its release when old grey was still the only type of grey.

Train station, level crossing, train station, level crossing,... I've seen too many of that stuff. It's getting boring. A trackside structure that is neither a level crossing nor a railway station would be nice. I'm also fed up with cranes unless they are really ingenious.

Edited by legotrainfan

I voted for the Cargo Depot but the article gave me a lot food for thought that I really had a hard time picking a choice...

I am in fact still undecided... about everything related to trains :tongue:

I think it's easy to wish for huge train-related sets, big buildings with lots of details. Probably if they started an AFOL-oriented train-related line equivalent to the modular buildings, thousands of AFOLs would rejoice. But if I purchased a really big set costing more than 100e, I would be reluctant to dismantle it for parts. So I think I might prefer Lego to release smaller and simpler sets for railway-side structures, sets that could be sold in retail shop like the recent yellow train station, and then let the AFOLs expand them or build their own.

So perhaps if I have to make a wish, an odd one (in fact, it'll never happen), I wish TLG to release a set that is similar in concept to the Hobby Train, but is in fact designed for building your own railways structures. Essentially, a huge box (it would have to be bigger than the Hobby Train, I guess at least 1500 pieces, without track or train parts) with pieces for building trackside structures, containing various elements that have been proven useful before in this type of sets. It should also contain a small amount of regular bricks, enough to provide for a single mid/small building, but maybe 2/3 of the pieces should be specialized for the theme. Then provide instructions to build at least 10 different railway-related buildings.

Edited by Legoist